ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 188 of 207
« First < 88138178184185186187188 189190191192198 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:51 PM 04-14-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Hmm, wonder if just putting the molds in a cooler and putting the cooler in the freezer would work... looks like that's basically their idea to slow down the freezing process. :-)
If I had enough room in the freezer, I would try.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:52 PM 04-14-2022
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
I do this occasionally - it's kinda a PITA, but the best way I've found.

I've watched that video... I'm going to get a cooler and try that too.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 04:25 PM 04-14-2022
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
The key is to make sure it doesn't completely freeze. Need to leave some water like he shows in the video.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:35 PM 04-14-2022
The key is to make sure it doesn't completely freeze. Need to leave some water like he shows in the video.
I'm think that's something I can watch pretty easily since we have an unused deep freeze. Put it in there before bed and check it throughout the next day and when the time is right, get to cutting...

That said, I could also do pretty much the same thing but put the square and round molds/trays that I have now and put them in the cooler inside the deep freeze.

Hey, why not...
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:38 PM 04-14-2022
I am science-ing now and will update the thread.

Simply doing molds in a cooler in a freezer... no idea if it'll work. As OTWP says, may just need a larger block that doesn't completely freeze, but at least hoping for a slower freeze and perhaps better results.

If that doesn't work, I might try other ways to get a slow freeze for the spheres... and then if not, will go the big block route.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:03 PM 04-14-2022

Simply doing molds in a cooler in a freezer... no idea if it'll work. As OTWP says, may just need a larger block that doesn't completely freeze, but at least hoping for a slower freeze and perhaps better results.

If that doesn't work, I might try other ways to get a slow freeze for the spheres... and then if not, will go the big block route.
:-)

Hey, it's the off season, what the hell else do we have to do? :-)
[Reply]
A8bil 08:33 PM 04-14-2022
I'm think that's something I can watch pretty easily since we have an unused deep freeze. Put it in there before bed and check it throughout the next day and when the time is right, get to cutting...

That said, I could also do pretty much the same thing but put the square and round molds/trays that I have now and put them in the cooler inside the deep freeze.

Hey, why not...
The product I linked you to is what I use and it works pretty well if you follow the instructions -- I use warm filtered water (or bottled/distilled if you have hard water). I make a bunch at a time and keep them in a ziplock in the freezer. takes about 16 hours to freeze sufficiently.

The idea behind creating clear ice is to do directional cooling...you want one side fully exposed to the cool air in the freezer and the rest insulated to force freezing from the top down...and yes, pulling it out before fully freezing helps. You can do it with a small cooler with the idea of getting a couple of inches of ice on top.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 12:31 PM 04-15-2022

HEY BILL NYE, HOW BOUTS AN UPDATE
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:46 PM 04-15-2022
Maybe it worked really well and he's asleep under that table because of the additional awesomeness of the drinks? I sure hope so...
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:50 PM 04-15-2022
:-)

After ~14 hours, they weren't all that close to being ready, so definitely a slow freeze!

Now almost ~20 hours in and they aren't frozen to the point of putting one in a drink, but definitely look better than just sticking them in the freezer. The upload fails from my phone, but will upload later.... it's promising (not perfect) and clearer than ever before!

I'm going to continue freezing... the spheres were mostly ready, but the cubes are still not there. And I'll see whether they get less clear as they freeze longer. If so, I'll try a more "directional freezing" approach.

Bill Nye Science GIFfrom Bill Nye GIFs

[Reply]
Bearcat 04:36 PM 04-15-2022
It's quite the improvement (and it's a bit clearer than the pics indicate) over just putting the mold in the freezer (the right sphere).

For my next experiment, I'll look at directional freezing and insulating the bottom half of the mold, inside a cooler, inside a freezer.

[Reply]
Bearcat 04:49 PM 04-15-2022
This guy ice cubes...
https://www.alcademics.com/2015/01/c...-a-cooler.html

Besides cutting holes at the bottom of the tray, this is where I was basically headed with it. And from their research, I'm not sure insulating the bottom half would really help... I'd basically have to insulate the top half and let it freeze, so the air escapes the holes on top (or otherwise turn it over in a pool of water). :-)
[Reply]
srvy 05:36 PM 04-15-2022
My thing is discovering great bourbon at the least price point. I'll be damn if I would go on a voyage of discovery to find the clearist ice cube to water my bourbon down. I suppose that's just me.
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:54 PM 04-15-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
My thing is discovering great bourbon at the least price point. I'll be damn if I would go on a voyage of discovery to find the clearist ice cube to water my bourbon down. I suppose that's just me.
Heh, I drink almost all of my bourbon neat precisely because I don't want to water it down... there's one place in town that uses 1 huge clear ice cube, and it's still 1 huge clear ice cube when I'm done nursing it.

If I could get to that point, I'd at least use them in Old Fashioneds and such.
[Reply]
srvy 06:40 PM 04-15-2022
Heh, I drink almost all of my bourbon neat precisely because I don't want to water it down... there's one place in town that uses 1 huge clear ice cube, and it's still 1 huge clear ice cube when I'm done nursing it.

If I could get to that point, I'd at least use them in Old Fashioneds and such.
It probably involves a super cold freezer for deep freezing perishables. Still, once room temp bourbon hits ice melting begins. Cask strength liquor 120 proof and above will kill your liver if you drank it all the time. High-proof long-aged bourbon usually gets cut with a splash of water and it takes very little to bring the ABV down. Those spoons for water are like a half teaspoon to bring the alcohol down in a Glencairn glass. I would think your clear ice is melting that much.
[Reply]
Page 188 of 207
« First < 88138178184185186187188 189190191192198 > Last »
Up