ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:25 AM 07-02-2004
Sorry dude, I can't help you with the Guitar Tracks. I mic up my Bogner and Rectifier, but I've heard the NI Guitar Rig and it sounds pretty cool. Maybe check it out.

Dane
[Reply]
Braincase 09:26 PM 10-26-2004
Welcome to the thread resurrection post.

I got my first custom axe yesterday. Les Paul Body, with sound chambers to lighten the load. Control set up like a Strat, but two humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Jazz at the neck, SH-4 at the bridge) Wilky tremolo, and wired like a PRS with a 5-way megaswitch. Flame maple top over mahogany, ebony over mahogonay on the neck. 6100's for frets, freakin' speed bumps.

Plugged it into my little Marshall, and it's as warm as hot buttered rum in front of the fireplace in January.
[Reply]
ChiefFripp 09:37 PM 10-26-2004
Originally Posted by nmt1:
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
Schecter
[Reply]
David. 10:39 PM 10-26-2004
I want to learn to play guitar so bad, but I only have like...20 dollars to my name right now. I need to get a job

or beg my parents/grandparents
:-)
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:57 AM 10-27-2004
I play guitar, the internet is a life savor i have a good wash guitar and a good bass guitlar
[Reply]
Over-Head 02:13 AM 10-27-2004
Originally Posted by BrainCase:

I got my first custom axe yesterday. Les Paul Body, with sound chambers to lighten the load. Control set up like a Strat, but two humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Jazz at the neck, SH-4 at the bridge) Wilky tremolo, and wired like a PRS with a 5-way megaswitch. Flame maple top over mahogany, ebony over mahogonay on the neck. 6100's for frets, freakin' speed bumps.

Plugged it into my little Marshall, and it's as warm as hot buttered rum in front of the fireplace in January.

Sounds like a sweet axe. Now just get a hold of Dan out in CA,
http://www.torresengineering.com/
and order 2 of his 1 Meg volume pot's for that bad boy, and watch those Seymour's really come to life! :-)
[Reply]
ZepSinger 06:24 AM 10-27-2004
Originally Posted by BrainCase:

Hey buddy!
I'm anxious to see that bad boy sometime....
:-)
[Reply]
Braincase 07:29 AM 10-27-2004
Originally Posted by Over-Head:
Sounds like a sweet axe. Now just get a hold of Dan out in CA,
http://www.torresengineering.com/
and order 2 of his 1 Meg volume pot's for that bad boy, and watch those Seymour's really come to life! :-)
I was ahead of the curve on that one... although they aren't from torres engineering. :-)
[Reply]
rabblerouser 03:11 PM 09-17-2022
Anyone wanna post the embedded link up? I'm on my phone.

https://youtu.be/ZN5EBgLiMmo
[Reply]
Stewie 02:12 AM 09-19-2022
Anyone follow Rhett Schull on YouTube?

Good channel

A recent video is buying the cheapest new Strat and "custom shopped" it to the hilt to see how it plays/sounds.

He's also documenting the build of his dream home studio.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:01 AM 09-19-2022
Originally Posted by Stewie:
A recent video is buying the cheapest new Strat and "custom shopped" it to the hilt to see how it plays/sounds.
I've done that with Squier VM and CV P-basses and now my '62 AVRI P-bass is strictly home/studio. I swap the el cheapo tuners for Gotoh Vintage Reverse, change out the bridge if necessary, new pickup, new pots, and those things SING. The Indonesian Squiers are made at the old Cort factory, so the craftsmanship is outstanding. The only way I'd pay more than $500 for a guitar is if I was spending like $3k on something VERY high end.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:10 PM 09-19-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Anyone wanna post the embedded link up? I'm on my phone.

https://youtu.be/ZN5EBgLiMmo
Yup.

[Reply]
Lzen 02:37 PM 09-19-2022
Wow, this thread is great. I just read through the entire thread. What a trip down memory lane.

It's amazing where I was 20 years ago compared to where I am now. Things have gone in a different direction, for sure. When this thread started, I had just been in a 5 piece rock band playing originals with just a few covers mixed in. Today, just a 2 man acoustic act. Same singer, though. Heck, I'm even getting into the singing and playing a bit. We play covers with just a couple of originals mixed in. This actually started as a regroup about 7 years ago of the same 3 of us founding members (from back in 96). We had a 4 piece band and were doing well. Similar thing happened as the drummer quit suddenly and we were stuck with not being able to continue. This town sucks for musicians. Not complaining, though, as the singer and I now have a good thing going.

Never bought the Carvin acoustic guitars but, I do now own a couple of Martin acoustics (X Series Special GPCPA5 Grand Performance Acoustic-Electric & OMC-16E Ovangkol Burst Acoustic-Electric Guitar Natural) . I tried Taylors (a friend at work had a nice Taylor and then bought another one when they started making cheaper ones) but I quickly realized that I prefer Martins.

These are the only (somewhat) expensive guitars that I ever owned and this includes a Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Plus - Midnight Sapphire electric that I bought when we were in the full band. Not trying to brag but it is fun to think how I would have loved to have the income back in those days that I do now to be able to buy better quality equipment. Oh well, I still feel like we made great music.
[Reply]
Lzen 03:22 PM 09-21-2022
So it seems that some things never change. I was a Musicians Friend fanboy back when this thread was started and I guess I am still to a certain extent. Though I would probably say Sweetwater is just a tad better.

Anyway, they have a stupid deal of the day on Acoustic A1000 Acoustic Instrument Amp - $300

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...10059000000000

I have also been looking at a couple of Fender acoustic amps.

I really like this one. It has several effects which I probably wouldn't need a lot but they are kind of nice to have. The amp is beautiful, IMO. But some of the comments are saying it's too much bass. That would probably annoy me if I couldn't get that dialed back enough.

Fender Acoustic 100 100W 1x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ombo-amplifier

And there's the newer line.
Fender Acoustic Jr 100W 1x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier Dark Brown Vinyl
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...+CVV+MFWPDPT+2
These actually have effects like those others (chorus, delay, reverb, etc.) but also a looper. That would be kind of fun. I currently have a Boss looper pedal on my pedalboard but it's got it's limitations/drawbacks. The kickstand is a nice feature, though I don't know that it tilts back far enough for my liking (might not be very useful while standing and playing). Oh, and this one has a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery with five hours playing time at full volume, 12 hours at moderate volume. That might be a useful feature once in awhile. Of course, this one is a little more expensive and I would probably need to also purchase the pedal to make good use of the looper.

What say you? What do my fellow guitar players here think? Which would you recommend?

Edit: on those last 2, I would probably buy from Sweetwater because they might be able to get me an additional 10% off.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 11:15 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Anyone follow Rhett Schull on YouTube?

Good channel

He's also documenting the build of his dream home studio.
I saw that. Honestly I'd rather spend a few hundred on a good setup for a budget guitar or bass than an expensive instrument. They can get stolen/damaged and I'd rather replace a cheaper instrument than an expensive one.

Tone is in your fingers anyway

The bass I play the most is an Ibanez SR500 which cost like $400 used. I put a new set of pickups in it and it's a dream bass for me. my most expensive instrument is my upright which was $2k and I doubt I'll ever spend that much on another instrument again
[Reply]
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Up