ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 97
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>JuJu to Kansas City
Dante84 02:20 PM 03-18-2022

#ChiefsKingdom Let’s Go!

— JuJu Smith-Schuster (@TeamJuJu) March 18, 2022

JuJu Smith-Schuster is getting a one-year, $10.75M deal with the Chiefs, per source.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 18, 2022

[Reply]
Willie Lanier 03:20 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by DTVietnam:
so we signed a saftey and WR noone else wanted. .

who both havent played well in years
You pessimists are getting really hard to stomach lately..
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:23 PM 03-18-2022
The last time Smith-Schuster was paired with a QB who didn't have a dead arm or dead brain, was healthy, and was not a defensive focus, he put up huge numbers.

Clearly, Reid and co. see something with him that is a nice complement to current players or they would not have pursued him so hard two years in a row. I like his toughness, his route-running, and his ability to break tackles. He also has, in the past, been more than willing to do dirty work across the middle both as a blocker and route decoy.

He gives them back some of the size and physicality the Chiefs have been missing without Watkins. He's an upgrade from Pringle... how much remains to be seen.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 03:24 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So just so I'm clear here...

I stated who I wanted, why I wanted them and exactly how they could be used to best effect in this offense. Simultaneously I stated exactly who I didn't want and why I did not want them.

In so doing I specifically noted that I'm not interested in spending $8-10 million on JuJu Smith-Schuster and why I felt his skills specifically were not unique or difficult to find.

And it surprises you when I'm not gung-ho about Veach's decision to do this thing that I specifically said I did NOT want to do?

It's not like I've been all "JUJU IS AWESOME!!!" and then shit on the signing. I did not want this signing. I didn't want it last year. I definitely didn't want it this year. I've provided a fair amount of explanation as to why that is the case.

For ****'s sake, stop bitching when people don't like what the Chiefs are up to. I established where I stood on this WELL before it came to fruition.
Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind the game has ever seen. He wanted Juju bad enough last year to personally jump on the phone to recruit this dude. Veach and Reid wanted him so badly they turned around and went after him AGAIN this year. If Andy freaking Reid wanted him Im pumped! I wouldnt be shocked if they go after another elite weapon through trade or draft as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:24 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
So you'd rather a multi-year contract for a mediocre possession receiver? :-)
You're aware that term is nothing more than an accounting measure on NFL contracts, right?

Yes, that's absolutely what I'd have preferred.

Give him a 3 year deal for, I dunno, $30 million w/ $9 million of it as a signing bonus. presumptively he's going to what that $10 million in cash this year so you give him a base salary this year of $1 million to go with the signing bonus of $9 million. You pro-rate the bonus and now this year's cap hit becomes $4 million.

Additionally you now have 2 more years to cover $20 million in salary. Year 2 has a base salary of $8 million, year 3 a base of $12 million.

So if this year he's not any good, you go ahead and cut him and accelerate the remaining $6 million onto the cap and boom - same spot you would've been on the 1 year deal. Meanwhile if he actually proves to be valuable here, you now have 'team options' at $8 million (with an $11 million cap hit) next season and then $12 million (with a $15 million cap hit or $3 million in dead money and a $12 million savings) in year 3.

Yes. Absolutely I'd prefer that structure to this one. The year 1 cap hit is better, the year 2 cap situation is identical and in the process you've created 2 potentially 'value added' seasons to the back end of the deal.

Give me one single reason why a 1 year deal is preferable to that structure.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 03:26 PM 03-18-2022
DJ really gotta stop acting like hes better at Veachs job than Veach. Getting old quick
[Reply]
Kman34 03:26 PM 03-18-2022
so we signed a saftey and WR noone else wanted. .

who both havent played well in years
JFC…
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:26 PM 03-18-2022

JuJu Smith-Schuster is 4 days younger than Christian Kirk.

— Heath Cummings (@heathcummingssr) March 18, 2022

[Reply]
BWillie 03:27 PM 03-18-2022
Yeah - that’s a shitty contract.

Essentially zero upside in it and a significant year 1 cap hit.

For a mediocre possession receiver.

Greeeeeaaaaaat.
He's 25 years old. In 2018 he had 1500 yards & 7 TDs. His injury this year was a shoulder so his wheels should be fine. Physical WR that we don't really have. He's going to have a ton of incentive to go out and prove he doesn't suck. Last year Big Ben was one of the worst QBs in the league and couldn't get anyone the ball. Hell the last few years.

I would have much preferred Gallup, Chark, ARob etc - but versus Jarvis Landry this is very good.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 03:27 PM 03-18-2022
I dont think its a terrible signing..but bringing in a guy who is average at best and puts himself before the team is not a move to be thrilled about....
Hes not average and this deal should work out for both parties. We get a guy who excels in the intermediate part of the field but isn't limited to just that area. He can stretch the field some, and will force the defense to not solely focus on Hill and Kelce.

He had 98 catches two years ago while Big Ben's arm was actively falling off... Plus, since he had a shoulder injury last season and missed 12 weeks, he should be ready to go health-wise. He doesn't have to be THE guy, so he should have every opportunity to excel in this offence.

It's a win-win
[Reply]
Iconic 03:28 PM 03-18-2022
He's averaged 61 yards per game in his career. Extrapolate that out to a full season and you're looking at a thousand yard season.

When's the last time someone other than Hill or Kelce had a 1000 yard season?

IMO this is going to be one of those signings where we look back and go 'that shit was a steal'
[Reply]
raybec 4 03:29 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind the game has ever seen. He wanted Juju bad enough last year to personally jump on the phone to recruit this dude. Veach and Reid wanted him so badly they turned around and went after him AGAIN this year. If Andy freaking Reid wanted him Im pumped! I wouldnt be shocked if they go after another elite weapon through trade or draft as well.
Good lord, if they trade for another offensive weapon with the 29th rated pass rush, that's really going to make this offseason a failure.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:30 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:

Juju is a really good weapon to combat the 2 high looks. Directly and indirectly.
How you figure?

I mean, i'm hoping for the best and all and will certainly root for him. But I'm not seeing this "cover-2 beater" shit that everyone else is.

His skill set is not particularly unique or rare. He's not a guy that requires doubles, and you could man him up with a single defender fairly consistently with success.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:30 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
DJ really gotta stop acting like hes better at Veachs job than Veach. Getting old quick
Blow me.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 03:31 PM 03-18-2022
You're aware that term is nothing more than an accounting measure on NFL contracts, right?

Yes, that's absolutely what I'd have preferred.

Give him a 3 year deal for, I dunno, $30 million w/ $9 million of it as a signing bonus. presumptively he's going to what that $10 million in cash this year so you give him a base salary this year of $1 million to go with the signing bonus of $9 million. You pro-rate the bonus and now this year's cap hit becomes $4 million.

Additionally you now have 2 more years to cover $20 million in salary. Year 2 has a base salary of $8 million, year 3 a base of $12 million.

So if this year he's not any good, you go ahead and cut him and accelerate the remaining $6 million onto the cap and boom - same spot you would've been on the 1 year deal. Meanwhile if he actually proves to be valuable here, you now have 'team options' at $8 million (with an $11 million cap hit) next season and then $12 million (with a $15 million cap hit or $3 million in dead money and a $12 million savings) in year 3.

Yes. Absolutely I'd prefer that structure to this one. The year 1 cap hit is better, the year 2 cap situation is identical and in the process you've created 2 potentially 'value added' seasons to the back end of the deal.

Give me one single reason why a 1 year deal is preferable to that structure.
I should just pay you to be a ghost writer for me. Tried to make this point in FA thread, you did it infinitely better. As always.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:32 PM 03-18-2022
The last time JuJu played in an offensive situation similar to what he’ll be in next year in KC… with a legit #1 WR, with a QB who can throw the ball downfield… was in 2018 when he had 111 receptions for 1,400+ yards receiving and 7 TD’s.

And he’s still just 25 years old.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 97
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Up