ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>alright defensive geniuses, what's your plan for the Eagles?
Chris Meck 06:58 AM 02-01-2023
I thought I'd split this off from the mega thread, because that's kind of the smack talking section arguing with Philly fans and Diqlix's mults.

But all of you Spags haters really should ante up here with YOUR scheme and game plan for the Super Bowl.

Personally, I'd like to see a Hurts spy on every play, but not the SAME spy every play. A mix of Gay, Sneed from the slot, maybe Cook or Reid from a SS type spot. I want a different lurking spy at all times.

If I'm blitzing, I'm coming A and B gaps. Our DE's have got to be mindful of containment.

Probably not a game where you're going to see a lot of sacks from outside unless we get out to a big lead early. Their defense is really good, so I'm not expecting that.

Other than a spy, Just keep showing one thing pre-snap and doing another post. I think you can confuse Hurts. But if he's unsure, he's going to take off, and you'll want that spy to neutralize.
[Reply]
DJay23 11:43 AM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak:
Stop the run (including Hurts) and make them beat us through the air!
My initial thought as well.

Emphasis on stopping the run. On obvious passing downs mix up coverages and throw in some pressure. Hurts is good, but so is Burrow and Spags flumoxed him enough.

Plus word is Hurts should still isn't right. Make him prove it early on especially.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:43 AM 02-01-2023
If anyone has NFL+ go back and watch last year's game to get a good indication of what we will do. Shitty D held them to 103 yds rushing
[Reply]
PHOG 11:49 AM 02-01-2023
Wahtever our DC, Spags, comes up with. He coaches for my favorite NFL football team, the Kansas City Chiefs.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 11:55 AM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think we can all agree that we obviously need to stop the run.

Got any ideas how we might accomplish that?

I guess there's so many people critical of Spags and the scheme, I figured people would be chomping at the bit to tell us all what they'd do differently.
So are you really wanting ideas, or is this just a thread for you to ravenously lick Spagnuolos knob?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:58 AM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
So are you really wanting ideas, or is this just a thread for you to ravenously lick Spagnuolos knob?
So are you really wanting to contribute, or just be a little monkey in the corner, shitting in his hand and flinging poo like usual?
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 12:03 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
So are you really wanting to contribute, or just be a little monkey in the corner, shitting in his hand and flinging poo like usual?

For starters I'd utilize Jones "always drawing 2-3" linemen
every down to free up Bolton to get in behind and destroy the run/rush the passer.

I mean the concensus is Bolton is really good, and Jones always has at least 2 on him. If Spags can't take advantage, that's a DC problem there.

Also, I probably wouldn't put George Karlaftis in single coverage on AJ Brown in the redzone.

Just a couple ideas there.
[Reply]
phisherman 12:06 PM 02-01-2023
In the slightest defense of Pete, him and I discussed this yesterday while we were out walking at lunch.

The general idea was what has been mentioned above. Try your best to contain the running game and force Hurts to throw the ball. Blend Man and Zone coverages with some occasional blitzing.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:07 PM 02-01-2023
every down to free up Bolton to get in behind and destroy the run/rush the passer.

I mean the concensus is Bolton is really good, and Jones always has at least 2 on him. If Spags can't take advantage, that's a DC problem there.

Also, I probably wouldn't put George Karlaftis in single coverage on AJ Brown in the redzone.

Jones doesn't get doubled as often as you seem to think, nor do i think the Eagles will feel the need to double him often.
[Reply]
O.city 12:36 PM 02-01-2023

Is Bolton overrated?

After your Jones talk and his recent performance maybe you can do the same for Bolton?
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 12:45 PM 02-01-2023
The last two games Hurts has had trouble throwing to his right on the boundary.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:58 PM 02-01-2023

Okay, so your first idea is to take our MLB and run him up Jonesy's ass every down. Now, I'm not opposed to a MLB blitz now and then, but it seems like all the Eagles have to do is run the other way and now we've got less guys flowing to the ball if we're going to do that the majority of the time.

As for your second idea, what I'm understanding is that you are opposed to zone blitzing as a concept. But you're FOR blitzing our MLB as a base scheme. So what you would prefer is to NOT drop guys into passing lanes and just give the QB a clean look. See, the idea of a zone blitz isn't so much that you expect a DE to cover a WR so much as it is to make the QB think, "Wait, what?" and that extra half a second allows your slot corner to sack him before he realizes that's a DE over there and not the corner he was expecting. So, most of the time when you see a Sneed sack, or a Mcduffie sack/pressure or what have you, there was a lineman or LB jumping over in coverage to give the QB a cover look.

So instead of that, you would prefer to rush five and drop the usual 6 into coverage while leaving the middle of the field essentially open with no MLB there. Of course, if it's a run play, all they have to do is run to the side Jones and Bolton are NOT on, and they win the numbers game for an easy gain.

Not saying that play isn't a good idea for a specific play call-in fact, you'll almost certainly see that very play more than once in the Super Bowl, but I don't know that using as your base defensive concept is the best idea. There are certainly holes that a smart offensive coordinator would have no issues with exploiting.

And that's the rub, really, isn't it? Anytime you actively DO something, you leave yourself open to getting screwed if the offensive play is designed in such a way as to exploit that opening.

Hence the OP.
[Reply]
wachashi 01:43 PM 02-01-2023

Brilliant coaching by the Eagles staff to exploit and adjust to the 49ers top run defense pic.twitter.com/v095hJHEXG

— Ted Nguyen (@FB_FilmAnalysis) January 30, 2023

[Reply]
Wallcrawler 01:59 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Jones doesn't get doubled as often as you seem to think, nor do i think the Eagles will feel the need to double him often.
Hence the quotes.

The main defense of Jones here, is that he doesn't get sacks, tfl, or other stats, because he's always double to tripled, and that it is merely the failure of everyone else around him to do anything that causes poor performance.

If Jones being shown that much attention was the case, we should have some clean linebacker looks at the backfield, that for some reason Steve Spagnuolo can't take advantage of.

You have to remember who is in the discussion here.

It's one or the other. Either Jones is the destroyer of worlds and Steve can't capitalize, or Jones isn't really all that, and his first game he destroyed, he did it against a MASH o line unit.

The one consistent thing stands though. No DEs in single coverage in the redzone.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:04 PM 02-01-2023
Hence the quotes.

The main defense of Jones here, is that he doesn't get sacks, tfl, or other stats, because he's always double to tripled, and that it is merely the failure of everyone else around him to do anything that causes poor performance.

If Jones being shown that much attention was the case, we should have some clean linebacker looks at the backfield, that for some reason Steve Spagnuolo can't take advantage of.

It's one or the other. Either Jones is the destroyer of worlds and Steve can't capitalize, or Jones isn't really all that, and his first game he destroyed, he did it against a MASH o line unit.

The one consistent thing stands though. No DEs in single coverage in the redzone.
hahahahahahahahaha.

Oh man.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:05 PM 02-01-2023
Hence the quotes.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up