ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 16
« First < 41011121314 1516 >
Nzoner's Game Room>"NFL Coach" says Mahomes Flopped
petegz28 06:12 PM 01-31-2023
Never mind it was a penalty regardless but a "NFL Coach" is mad as heck and stuff...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-c...ing-field-goal

When Patrick Mahomes was hit late, the penalty set up the Kansas City Chiefs for the game-winning 45-yard field goal.

However, with some controversial officiating throughout the night, the call has come with some scrutiny not only among fans, but NFL coaches as well.

In fact, an NFL coach says Mahomes sold the hit in order to get the extra yards.

"That is what the owners want, $40 million skill players flopping on the ground," an NFC defensive coach told The Athletic, "drawing fouls from chemistry teachers, medical device salesmen and the like."

The coach was referring to the fact that NFL referees are actually part-time employees by the league. Retired official Ed Houchili is an attorney, a career he held throughout his entire refereeing career — his son, Shawn, is a wealth management advisor when he's not officiating games.

Mahomes was tackled by Joseph Ossai at the Bengals' 42-yard line, but the penalty cost Cincinnati 15 yards.

Had the refs eaten the whistle, the Chiefs would have had eight seconds to attempt to get closer (or go for a 60-yarder). Instead, they were right in field goal range, and Harrison Butker drilled it.

The kick sent the Chiefs to their third Super Bowl in four years, and they improved to 3-2 in their last five AFC Championships - all of which they have hosted since 2019.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:50 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
You ever chat up a chiefs fan wearing a ton of chiefs swag who doesn’t know any player who isn’t mahomes or kelce? Yet they brag about how big of a fan they are? And insist on talking about the game when they don’t even know the rules? Imagine a whole city who acts like this. It’s not surprising the reaction we’re saying. It’s one thing to be outraged but the just fundamental misunderstanding of the rules. Their entire outrage is just sheep listening to what Twitter outrage leaders want you to be mad about
Unfortunately when your team wins a lot that happens. A lot of them weren't around for Matt Cassel or wanna chat you up about Priest Holmes or some shit like that.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:55 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Unfortunately when your team wins a lot that happens. A lot of them weren't around for Matt Cassel or wanna chat you up about Priest Holmes or some shit like that.
I was talking to some bandwagon fans a d they accused of being one myself and I said I have been a fan since the late 80s DT/Okoye etc and even though they were my age they had no clue they were .I’m still not wearing my LJ jersey just for the cred though.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:57 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I was talking to some bandwagon fans a d they accused of being one myself and I said I have been a fan since the late 80s DT/Okoye etc and even though they were my age they had no clue they were .I’m still not wearing my LJ jersey just for the cred though.
Be like, bro ya'll remember Dale Carter and James Hasty lockin it down?

They're like who?
[Reply]
RedinTexas 11:15 AM 02-02-2023
I was accused of that once too. I had to admit it was true. I jumped on the bandwagon in 1968 or so.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:41 AM 02-02-2023
The most amusing part to me is that the Kelce bros talked about it on the podcast, and the fact that Patrick flopped a bit was a foregone conclusion - they didn't even question that he did it.

What I don't understand is why any of you take such offense to the accusation. Burrow flopped on his attempt at drawing a RTP foul. QBs do it all the time. You don't want to be egregious or whiney about it, but I don't have any issue with a QB making it clear that there was a foul. That's just how it works in today's NFL.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 11:44 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The most amusing part to me is that the Kelce bros talked about it on the podcast, and the fact that Patrick flopped a bit was a foregone conclusion - they didn't even question that he did it.

What I don't understand is why any of you take such offense to the accusation. Burrow flopped on his attempt at drawing a RTP foul. QBs do it all the time. You don't want to be egregious or whiney about it, but I don't have any issue with a QB making it clear that there was a foul. That's just how it works in today's NFL.
I think the problem is with the term "flop." It seems to imply that he wasn't really hit and that he just took a dive when the guy touched him. He was clearly hit hard enough to knock him down and Patrick's "flop" was merely throwing his arms out at the end to sell the penalty.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:54 AM 02-02-2023
Oh yeah, I’m not calling out chiefs fans. Of course bandwagoning comes with the territory of winning. But with bengals fans this is most of their fan base. Even when we were bad the city still bled red and filled stadiums.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:57 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by RedinTexas:
I think the problem is with the term "flop." It seems to imply that he wasn't really hit and that he just took a dive when the guy touched him. He was clearly hit hard enough to knock him down and Patrick's "flop" was merely throwing his arms out at the end to sell the penalty.
This

We need to make the distinction between selling the call and flopping. Mahomes was going to spill hard no matter what. The dramatic arms out was selling the call. A flop implies that the guy breathed on mahomes and mahomes fell over to the ground like a fish.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:12 PM 02-02-2023

Exactly. Being upset at accusations he flopped are silly. Regardless of whether he did or not are irrelevant as it was still a penalty. You also hit the nail on the head that QBs do it all the time and quite frankly it's a smart move if they can get the call.
[Reply]
rfaulk34 01:14 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Dude there is literally no city on Earth where this scenario exist.
Let me tell ya about Dayton, Ohio...
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:14 PM 02-02-2023

The offense doesn't come from the flop accusation itself.

They are saying the he flopped because it WASN'T a penalty and they're saying the Chiefs won because of it - they're accusing Patrick Mahomes of CHEATING.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:15 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Exactly. Being upset at accusations he flopped are silly. Regardless of whether he did or not are irrelevant as it was still a penalty. You also hit the nail on the head that QBs do it all the time and quite frankly it's a smart move if they can get the call.
According to Bengals fans, several other fanbases, and the national media, it was NOT a penalty. That is the problem.
[Reply]
rfaulk34 01:19 PM 02-02-2023
What about Joe Delaney? I remember reading about him in the paper when i was growing up and couldn't believe an NFL player could die like that, being in the prime of their life with so much talent.
[Reply]
rfaulk34 01:30 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Oh yeah, I’m not calling out chiefs fans. Of course bandwagoning comes with the territory of winning. But with bengals fans this is most of their fan base.
That's simply not true. I've been a fan since 1978 and i can tell you that there's always been a large, devoted fan base. I have no doubt that there are thousands of bandwagon jumpers that don't know Icky Woods from Tiger Woods but there's a difference between being a team that's just bad for a period of time and being a team with the most inept, archaic, unchanging owner in the history of sports with no hope of things ever changing.

When Mike Brown took over for his father, he spent the next 20 years turning this franchise into the laughing stock of the NFL and didn't even bat an eyelash about it. He stuck to his guns like there was a band of angry, raping maurauders at his door step. When he hired Marvin Lewis and finally let go of his grip on the team just a little, the fan base responded to the team getting better, but then he kept Marvin around way too long. Literally, every decision he's ever made on his own, he turned gold into a pile of shit. The only reason things are changing now is because his granddaughters have become involved in things and his daughter isn't quite like daddy when it comes to knowing how to make a successful franchise. Hell, they didn't even get a RoH until last year because MB thought it was silly and they didn't have an indoor practice facility until half way through this year.

As soon as Burrow and Zac came on board, fans that had been standing in the shadows, still having that desire to support a winner, came back.

When you start winning consistently, passive 'don't-cares' will come along as well and they're usually the ones that make the most noise when things go bad.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:56 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The offense doesn't come from the flop accusation itself.

They are saying the he flopped because it WASN'T a penalty and they're saying the Chiefs won because of it - they're accusing Patrick Mahomes of CHEATING.
But why would anyone here get upset about that? It's not even debatable that he had TWO feed out of bounds and was shoved from behind. The strength of the shove is irrelevant to the rule, as is whether Mahomes made it look worse than it was. It was absolutely, 100% a foul.

I just don't see the point in getting upset about people who are just plain wrong and refuse to acknowledge it. There's no room for debate with people who aren't even trying to be objective.

Again, I just feel like some people here (cough...pete...cough) actively search out things to get upset about. Life's too short to get into arguments about people who aren't debating in good faith.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 16
« First < 41011121314 1516 >
Up