ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Nobody's talking about the piss-poor run game vs The Bengals last week?
TinyEvel 12:50 PM 02-02-2023
Of course there was so much greatness to talk about after beating the pussycats in the AFCCG, did we overlook the shockingly terrible ground game?

What gives?

Total team rushing yds = 42

Pacheco = 10 runs for 26.
Jerrick = 4 runs for 1 yard
RoJo = 1 run for zero

RBs accounted for 27 yards.

Patrick 3 for 8 yards
Mecole 2 for 7

20 rush attempts (vs 43 pass attempts as far as I can tell)

Did CIN just stack the box the whole time figuring Pat couldn't scramble? We didn't make any adjustments? Our O-line is THAT bad run blocking?

Discuss.

If this was already drudged over in another megathread, please blame megathreads. George didn't even make it a "thing" in his ten things, just a couples sentences buried in the Mahomes "thing"

GIVE ME HOPE! How can we balance out the game to beat PHI.
Attached: Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 10.39.29 AM.png (19.8 KB) 
[Reply]
dannybcaitlyn 06:47 PM 02-02-2023
Three pro bowlers on the oline and even the one who shouldn’t be a pro bowler should be hell of a Mauler in the run game. Trey Smith should excel in the run game also. Still can’t run and struggle to get third and 1. I will say Bringing in a NEW D-line coach in Joe Cullens has paid huge dividends for the D. Jus say’n.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:20 PM 02-02-2023
Our OL in general isn't that great at generating movement off the snap. They are much better at sealing a guy to clear a lane and moving in space. We're at a disadvantage against teams that have immovable objects at DT and LBs willing to fire downhill. For as good as our IOL are, you guys are expecting them to be these road graders they simply aren't.

The Chiefs can't be a true "smashmouth" running team. They should run the ball, sure, but we're not going to just ram it down their throats like the Titans, Ravens, etc.

It would help if Reid actually used the FB he absolutely insists on wasting a roster spot on and he should have Mahomes taking more snaps from under center if he really wants to try and smash anything.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:27 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Our OL in general isn't that great at generating movement off the snap. They are much better at sealing a guy to clear a lane and moving in space. We're at a disadvantage against teams that have immovable objects at DT and LBs willing to fire downhill. For as good as our IOL are, you guys are expecting them to be these road graders they simply aren't.

The Chiefs can't be a true "smashmouth" running team. They should run the ball, sure, but we're not going to just ram it down their throats like the Titans, Ravens, etc.

It would help if Reid actually used the FB he absolutely insists on wasting a roster spot on and he should have Mahomes taking more snaps from under center if he really wants to try and smash anything.
Yeah we see that every time we try to sneak Bell on 3rd and short.
[Reply]
trndobrd 09:59 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:

The run game, particularly with Pacheco, has been much better with QB under center. Up until last game, we were seeing more of Mahomes under center. I suspect Mahomes lack of mobility was the reason for the change against the Bengals rather than Reid abandoning the QB under center. On two weeks rest, I expect to see a more mobile Mahomes under center with Pacheco behind him.
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:44 AM 02-03-2023
It was driving me insane how we seemingly ran on every 1st down in the second half to no effect. 1-2 yards every time, reliably keeping us out of 3rd and manageable situations. (Of course we still managed some anyway)

Running the ball is fine situationally but in today's NFL, and in our offense with our yards per play running and passing, committing to the run is foolish.

You don't establish the run today, you establish threat to all areas of the field with the run just being one equal part of that.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 08:45 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
They were playing the run and forcing a gimpy Mahomes to beat them.

And he did.
Thread/
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:53 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by irafreak:
Rojo had 0 yards. Could've sworn he lost yards on his one carry...and didn't mecole pickup a yard to get a key first down early?
Hardman did have a nice conversion. He got absolutely smashed for his trouble, too.

That was actually the play Trey Smith got hurt on.
[Reply]
O.city 08:59 AM 02-03-2023
We run more out of the shotgun which changes angles and makes it tougher for he RB's I think.

Seems during the season when we got more under center we ran it better.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:05 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
We run more out of the shotgun which changes angles and makes it tougher for he RB's I think.

Seems during the season when we got more under center we ran it better.
Pacheco under center: 80 attempts for 401 yards, 5 YPC
Pacheco from shotgun: 90 attempts for 429 yards, 4.8 YPC

Eh. Really not a meaningful distinction for Pop.

Once our WRs all went down the Bengals were playing single high and targeting the running game. And they're a team that defends the run very well.

It just wasn't a good matchup to run the ball against. I don't think there's much more to it than that.
[Reply]
-King- 10:12 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Once our WRs all went down the Bengals were playing single high and targeting the running game. And they're a team that defends the run very well.

It just wasn't a good matchup to run the ball against. I don't think there's much more to it than that.
I'm really surprised that the distribution of under center to shotgun runs was almost even.

Wish it could be further broken down by situation. Because we likely go under center more in short yardage situation where the defense is playing the run closer so even though the ypc is almost even, it would show more effective blocking and running in those times.
[Reply]
O.city 10:15 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

True.

Especially once the weapons at WR were all hurt it made sense.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up