ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 26
« First < 162223242526
Nzoner's Game Room>Spags does it again
RunKC 08:52 PM 01-21-2023
20 points allowed
Lawrence three for only 90 yards in his first 23 attempts (3.91 avg)
Tackling was solid
Blitzes were very good including the Reid blitz that on the Watson pick play

He did this with 5 rookies playing a lot of snaps today. Just a remarkable performance from his defense
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:44 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yah, I felt bad for Bolton on that play; he got juked fair and square, but you know it pissed him off that he missed that opportunity.

But in the GDT, Bolton whiffing was barely mentioned; mostly it was just the usual caterwauling about Spags, lol.
Not to mention exactly what happened on that play is something Mahomes does all the time.

They identified man coverage across the board so the middle of the filed opened wide up and Burrow took off with one guy to make miss.

LB's probably brain lock these days seeing a QB running at them for fear of a flag and really don't attack them (for good reason).
[Reply]
tredadda 08:58 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Not to mention exactly what happened on that play is something Mahomes does all the time.

They identified man coverage across the board so the middle of the filed opened wide up and Burrow took off with one guy to make miss.

LB's probably brain lock these days seeing a QB running at them for fear of a flag and really don't attack them (for good reason).
Yup, and smart QBs know this and take full advantage of it. To think Burrow isn’t aware of that is silly.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:05 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Jesus Christ.

Spags D was asked to prevent Joe ****ing Burrow, Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins and Joe Mixon from getting into field goal range not once but twice deep in the fourth quarter of an AFC CHAMPIONSHIP.

The dude was hired to get the ONE stop that Bob Sutton's dumbass couldn't muster despite sixteen 3rd and 10's against the Patriots. He more than delivered on his promise and got us to another title game. How is this still even a discussion?
So much this. I honestly wonder how many AFCCGs we host or SBs we go to/win without Spags. The 2018 season is a perfect example of that. Mahomes willed that team as far as he could and the defense failed him. To believe that KC achieves this level of success without Spags is hard for me to wrap my mind around. I honestly think those who want him gone underestimate his value and have a “grass is greener on the other side” mentality.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 09:24 AM 02-02-2023
The second best QB in the league, with one of the best receiving groups in the league, got the ball back twice with less than 10 minutes to play in the 4th quarter only needing a FG to send them to the Super Bowl, and the D got an INT and forced a punt. That is incredible.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 09:31 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
The second best QB in the league, with one of the best receiving groups in the league, got the ball back twice with less than 10 minutes to play in the 4th quarter only needing a FG to send them to the Super Bowl, and the D got an INT and forced a punt. That is incredible.
Yep, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fully anticipating them to drive right down field and punch one in on those drives. It wasn't even anything against our defense, just that to expect to keep holding them seemed like too much to ask. They had played so well, but you felt like the other shoe had to drop for a guy like Burrow.

One of the most incredible and clutch defensive performances in recent playoff history. Truly special to watch.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:58 AM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
So much this. I honestly wonder how many AFCCGs we host or SBs we go to/win without Spags. The 2018 season is a perfect example of that. Mahomes willed that team as far as he could and the defense failed him. To believe that KC achieves this level of success without Spags is hard for me to wrap my mind around. I honestly think those who want him gone underestimate his value and have a “grass is greener on the other side” mentality.
Not only that but the defense was nails in our Super Bowl win. We shut down Derrick Henry and a shanahan running attack that was obliterating teams in the playoffs. Last 2 years our exit was way more about second half offense failures than it was defense.

I may be a homer but I think we have an ideal situation. Spags uses the season to try a lot of new things and Reid/mahomes can carry the team until he figures things out. By late season spags has a good scheme in mind. I also think the chiefs dc job can be less attractive because more and more we need them to deal with constant turnover of players. Spags showed this year he’s great at coaching these things up and a lot of that is because he does have that flexibility to play around with lots of different things
[Reply]
jjchieffan 01:38 PM 02-02-2023
Good breakdown on how the Chiefs covered Chase in the AFCCG. There are several short videos showing the coverage, so here's the link.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/...d-jamarr-chase
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:05 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
Good breakdown on how the Chiefs covered Chase in the AFCCG. There are several short videos showing the coverage, so here's the link.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/...d-jamarr-chase
That is interesting.

So what he refers to as a 'cloud' I would still refer to as a bracket. I just refer to inside/outside brackets or over/under brackets. I've never heard an over/under referred to as a cloud before but hey, it works.

What really stands out is Spags threw the kitchen sink at our boy. And by and large, he seemed to have the Bengals tendencies really dialed in because he sure looks to have been calling for inside leverage on inside moves and vice versa. But man, he was mixing up that coverage with the only real constant being that someone was always providing help on Chase - Chase just wasn't going to be really sure where the leverage was going to be or how the help would arrive.

That makes those option routes pretty tough and if you don't have Mahomes/Kelce chemistry, sooner or later you'll see the QB just stop looking that way. Not because Chase is covered, necessarily, but because Burrow isn't confident of what he'll be doing on any given route and it's just mentally taxing to try to guess based on coverages that are being mixed up so frequently.

Spags was just locked in. He had their number and flat out won the battle against Taylor.
[Reply]
raybec 4 03:08 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That is interesting.

So what he refers to as a 'cloud' I would still refer to as a bracket. I just refer to inside/outside brackets or over/under brackets. I've never heard an over/under referred to as a cloud before but hey, it works.

What really stands out is Spags threw the kitchen sink at our boy. And by and large, he seemed to have the Bengals tendencies really dialed in because he sure looks to have been calling for inside leverage on inside moves and vice versa. But man, he was mixing up that coverage with the only real constant being that someone was always providing help on Chase - Chase just wasn't going to be really sure where the leverage was going to be or how the help would arrive.

That makes those option routes pretty tough and if you don't have Mahomes/Kelce chemistry, sooner or later you'll see the QB just stop looking that way. Not because Chase is covered, necessarily, but because Burrow isn't confident of what he'll be doing on any given route and it's just mentally taxing to try to guess based on coverages that are being mixed up so frequently.

Spags was just locked in. He had their number and flat out won the battle against Taylor.
But there was a 3rd down where Burrow was able to pick up the first! Spags sucks balls!
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:38 PM 02-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That is interesting.

And he did it with THREE rookie corners and a rookie safety making the plays, given that Sneed went out in the first. It's difficult to overstate how impressive that really was.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 26
« First < 162223242526
Up