Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Samsung OLED 8K
BlackHelicopters 09:55 AM 06-26-2019
Samsung advertising OLED 8K.
Can someone explain what this means?
[Reply]
Mecca 09:59 AM 06-26-2019
OLED is the LG technology Samsung is going with the Q, the O generally looks better in my view but it has some flaws.

8k is just the next step up from 4k so it's just more clear and a tv that is those specs today is going to be like 10k.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:49 AM 06-26-2019
It means you can pay a hell of a lot of money for a signal defintion for which there is no content available nor is there likely to be for quite some time.
Think of it as 4k if that helps.
[Reply]
Third Eye 01:57 PM 06-26-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
It means you can pay a hell of a lot of money for a signal defintion for which there is no content available nor is there likely to be for quite some time.
Think of it as 4k if that helps.
Not only that, but unless the screen is > 150 inches, your eye isn’t going to perceive a difference.
[Reply]
007 03:37 PM 06-26-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Not only that, but unless the screen is > 150 inches, your eye isn’t going to perceive a difference.
Oh but there are idiots out there that will insist you can see the difference.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 03:50 PM 06-26-2019
Thank you gentlemen.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 09:39 AM 06-27-2019
Hopefully it means drastic price cuts on their oled 4k tvs.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 11:22 AM 06-27-2019
If the room where you view your TV is dark, OLED is for you. It has the blackest blacks. If there is lighting or windows in the room, go for QLED. 8k and 4k really has no bearing at this time because there is no 8k content out there. I would assume the next generation of gaming consoles might offer 8k but I doubt it...and as far as actual TV, Netflix and other streaming services are YEARS away from it.
[Reply]
limested 08:47 PM 06-29-2019
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
If the room where you view your TV is dark, OLED is for you. It has the blackest blacks. If there is lighting or windows in the room, go for QLED. 8k and 4k really has no bearing at this time because there is no 8k content out there. I would assume the next generation of gaming consoles might offer 8k but I doubt it...and as far as actual TV, Netflix and other streaming services are YEARS away from it.
Netflix is not years behind. The Average internet connection is. Netflix was filming all their original content in 6k before 4K hit the market. I would bet they are filming at higher res now.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:26 AM 06-30-2019
My 75" Samsung LED 4K TV that is only 2 years and 2 months old, went out this week, total black screen and no standby light. The Geek Squad came and checked it out and said it was the power board and they ordered a new one. I've got to wait now until next Saturday July 6th to get it fixed.

I was just looking at 75" TV's on Best Buy website, they've got an LG 75" on sale for $997 and the two local stores have it in stock. It's almost cheaper to buy a new one then to get one fixed. If you can live with 70", they're only $797 and both the 70" and 75" have great reviews.

I didn't buy the Geek Squad extended warranty, so they wanted $99 to come out and see what was wrong, but they wouldn't fix it. To have them fix the TV, you have to join the Geek Squad, which is $199 a year, but then the diagnostic visit is only $49, so I'm already out $250 plus now, the price of the part and to fix it, which is $100 for the repair and $50 to $100 for the board. I don't think I'm buying Samsung again. I've got all LG washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher from Best Buy and no problems.
[Reply]
limested 10:01 AM 06-30-2019
Samsung’s quality has dropped quite a bit. I will never touch a Samsung dishwasher or refrigerator again in my life. Complete trash.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:12 AM 07-01-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
My 75" Samsung LED 4K TV that is only 2 years and 2 months old, went out this week, total black screen and no standby light. The Geek Squad came and checked it out and said it was the power board and they ordered a new one. I've got to wait now until next Saturday July 6th to get it fixed.

I was just looking at 75" TV's on Best Buy website, they've got an LG 75" on sale for $997 and the two local stores have it in stock. It's almost cheaper to buy a new one then to get one fixed. If you can live with 70", they're only $797 and both the 70" and 75" have great reviews.

I didn't buy the Geek Squad extended warranty, so they wanted $99 to come out and see what was wrong, but they wouldn't fix it. To have them fix the TV, you have to join the Geek Squad, which is $199 a year, but then the diagnostic visit is only $49, so I'm already out $250 plus now, the price of the part and to fix it, which is $100 for the repair and $50 to $100 for the board. I don't think I'm buying Samsung again. I've got all LG washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher from Best Buy and no problems.

I had a Samsung 50 inch that died 2 months out of warranty. I called SS and complained hard. They said that if I had it fixed by a SS repair center, they would comp the part, but I had to pay labor.

It may help-but warranty is only a year. YMMV.
[Reply]
007 03:32 PM 07-01-2019
The olevia HDTV I purchased from Target 12 years ago is still going strong.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 11:49 PM 07-01-2019
Guru JIMP post right there ^^^^

(we bought a Samsung SUHD (Duper Utra Hi Def = their term for 4k) TV in 2015. All it did then was make the people doing the morning and evening news look like crap. Every flaw in detail.

Chiefs games were aight. You could see every blade of grass.
[Reply]
007 01:11 AM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Guru JIMP post right there ^^^^

(we bought a Samsung SUHD (Duper Utra Hi Def = their term for 4k) TV in 2015. All it did then was make the people doing the morning and evening news look like crap. Every flaw in detail.

Chiefs games were aight. You could see every blade of grass.
:-)

Its been relegated to the spare basement tv but it amazes me that its running like a champ still.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up