ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 62
« First < 7891011 121314152161 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:48 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
It's Brandon Sanderson. He's a pretty big name in current sci-fi.
Fantasy. He hasn't written any science fiction that I'm aware of.

He's okay. Nothing mind-blowing yet, but he writes a ton of stuff.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:53 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
They seem to be very quick reads so far. Have finished Nine Princes of Amber and moved on to book 2, The Guns of Avalon. Enjoying the series so far....different is probably the best description, but different in a good, well written way.
I read several of those books back in the early 80s and thought they were pretty good. I don't know if the whole series was even out then, but I don't remember finishing it. How many books are in the series?
[Reply]
Buck 05:55 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Fantasy. He hasn't written any science fiction that I'm aware of.

He's okay. Nothing mind-blowing yet, but he writes a ton of stuff.
Right, sorry, I had sci-fi on my mind coming into this thread.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:09 PM 03-27-2012
I just started reading the Nine Princes of Amber by Roger Zelazny. About 25% in so far, and it is very good. Not sure why I had not gotten into this series earlier in life, since it was written awhile ago.
I can't believe I had forgotten about that series. Very enjoyable.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:09 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I read several of those books back in the early 80s and thought they were pretty good. I don't know if the whole series was even out then, but I don't remember finishing it. How many books are in the series?
There were 10 in the omnibus I have. Like 1100 pages total. The last one came out in '91 I think.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:10 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Great idea for a thread Buck. Surprised to see you haven't read any Asimov if you are a sci-fi fan. He is part of the foundation of sci-fi, please forgive the pun. There are some great books and series in this thread. I'd like to nominate some story collections.

Great list. Definitely several classics in there.
[Reply]
patteeu 06:11 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
There were 10 in the omnibus I have. Like 1100 pages total. The last one came out in '91 I think.
Yeah, I probably stopped reading them in '86 or so when I started my first real job.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:19 PM 03-27-2012
Buck, if you want to give Piers Anthony a try (other than what is already mentioned), Incarnations Of Immortality and the first few books of his Zanth series are fun. I'm trying to remember when his Zanth books turned to shit. Maybe around book five or so. Much of the rest of his stuff is crap.
[Reply]
Buck 06:24 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Buck, if you want to give Piers Anthony a try (other than what is already mentioned), Incarnations Of Immortality and the first few books of his Zanth series are fun. I'm trying to remember when his Zanth books turned to shit. Maybe around book five or so. Much of the rest of his stuff is crap.
I wish I could read every recommendation in this thread now, but I've already stocked myself with over 3 or 4 months of reading at this point.
[Reply]
Buck 06:43 PM 03-27-2012
Reading The Stand currently. Got to this part today and started cracking up at work.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 06:46 PM 03-27-2012
Incarnations of Immortality are good, not great. Never really got into Zanth. Supposedly Anthony was going to write another Incarnations book after For Love of Evil, but I have never seen any official word on one.
[Reply]
ChiefFripp 08:03 PM 03-27-2012
Incarnations of Immortality are good, not great. Never really got into Zanth. Supposedly Anthony was going to write another Incarnations book after For Love of Evil, but I have never seen any official word on one.
It's called "And Eternity".
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 08:08 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by ChiefFripp:
It's called "And Eternity".
Been awhile since I had read the series..you are right, that is the last book. There was supposedly going to be another book after that that focused on Nox, the Incarnation of Night, but that was never officially announced.
[Reply]
whoman69 02:33 PM 03-28-2012
Incarnations of Immortality is one of my favorites. It humanizes the concepts of death, time, war, nature, fate, good and evil. Looking it up because I couldn't remember them all, didn't know he put out a new one a couple of years ago. Sci Fi bookclub doesn't carry Anthony anymore. I have to get it.

Its Xanth, btw. That is a good series, but its up to over 30 volumes now.
[Reply]
whoman69 02:38 PM 03-28-2012
Been awhile since I had read the series..you are right, that is the last book. There was supposedly going to be another book after that that focused on Nox, the Incarnation of Night, but that was never officially announced.
It came out in 2007 and is called Under a Velvet Cloak.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 62
« First < 7891011 121314152161 > Last »
Up