ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Media Center>Microsoft Surface
Buehler445 05:44 PM 01-06-2016
Does anyone have one? I'm considering one for field work and thought I would get some feedback from the Planet gurus.

What does everyone think?
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:35 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
"Automatic" updates seems to be the worst part of my experience with Windows here at home. Some of the machines update while you're using them, even if you've set off hours correctly. Some of them don't update at all unless you manually intervene, even if you have automatic updates enabled. At any given time, I might have one machine rebooting in the middle of a school class and another that hasn't been updated in 4 months. The Windows machines constantly require watching or they don't update correctly.

As for your other devices, unfortunately old devices are old devices. Neither iOS nor Windows ages very well after the first 3 or 4 years. Batteries wear out over time, especially if they've been subjected to daily charging for years.

Android ages pretty well because they don't ever release updates. LOL

With iOS / iPadOS that's true. Pretty simple and straightforward. I actually started using them though because I switched to MacOS for my personal computing. Still a simple veneer like iOS but Linux/BSD underneath. I also run Linux so it's just easier for me. I've done everything I can to limit my exposure to Windows. Of course, nobody in my house wants to learn anything new when the only upside is less work for dad. :-)
Right on. I certainly am not going to bat for any of these companies, especially ethically. You don't become a giant business like that without stepping on a neck or two. I'm not thrilled with Apples "planned obsolescence" or whatever it is.

Just giving my experience.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:39 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Right on. I certainly am not going to bat for any of these companies, especially ethically. You don't become a giant business like that without stepping on a neck or two. I'm not thrilled with Apples "planned obsolescence" or whatever it is.

Just giving my experience.
I think the idea of planned obsolesce is a bit overstated. Batteries wear out, whether it's Apple, Android, or whatever. Depending on how often they are charged, it's not uncommon to have them fail in as little as 3 years. On the other hand, I have an iPhone 6s that still runs great because the battery is still good. I also have a 2011 iMac that runs as well as it did when it comes out of the box. Not many PC's are still useable 9 years after release.

The issue you're probably referring to with Apple is that they implemented a solution without disclosing to the consumer. It's actually not a bad idea - as batteries die, the voltage level decreases. If a CPU is under-powered, it can crash. Apple decided to throttle CPU power usage, slowing it down, instead of just letting it die. If they would have told the consumer what they did, it probably would have been a non-issue. I certainly feel it's better than the Android solution, which is to do nothing at all. My daughter recently had to replace a 3-year old Samsung because the battery started to die and her phone would just randomly reboot.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:06 AM 09-02-2020
I think the idea of planned obsolesce is a bit overstated. Batteries wear out, whether it's Apple, Android, or whatever. Depending on how often they are charged, it's not uncommon to have them fail in as little as 3 years. On the other hand, I have an iPhone 6s that still runs great because the battery is still good. I also have a 2011 iMac that runs as well as it did when it comes out of the box. Not many PC's are still useable 9 years after release.

The issue you're probably referring to with Apple is that they implemented a solution without disclosing to the consumer. It's actually not a bad idea - as batteries die, the voltage level decreases. If a CPU is under-powered, it can crash. Apple decided to throttle CPU power usage, slowing it down, instead of just letting it die. If they would have told the consumer what they did, it probably would have been a non-issue. I certainly feel it's better than the Android solution, which is to do nothing at all. My daughter recently had to replace a 3-year old Samsung because the battery started to die and her phone would just randomly reboot.
My issue with it is that they don’t let me shut it off.

My phone is pretty vital to my job. And I lean hard on it because I can access stuff quickly. Weather, markets, a few spreadsheets I’m in and out of a lot, and then if I’m in a machine streaming something. Don’t throttle my machine without me being able to go back. I have chargers everywhere. I don’t give too much of a fuck about batteries because I a 20 hour day, new out of the box batteries aren’t lasting all day. I don’t start looking until it won’t go 4 hours.

Don’t create software problems to prevent hardware problems. If it gives me problems, fine. I’ll deal with them as they come. But don’t treat me like a grandma that takes 4 seconds to figure out which button to push. I lean hard on it being quick so I don’t have to commit productive time to administration later. But if it’s going to run slow that limits my capacity to do those things in a spare second.

That being said, I still use Apple.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:10 AM 09-02-2020
RE: Android.

I haven’t had an android machine in 5 years or so and even then it was junk unless you were going to just use it for Netflix or something stupid.

Both my parents have them and I’m not thrilled with them whenever I try to help them with something. My brother is a fanboy, I just don’t see it. But I’m not a fanboy of much. These pieces of shit are merely a tool for my productivity (and some CP viewing:-))
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:22 PM 09-02-2020
Yeah, all 3 (Microsoft, Apple, Google) have vocal detractors.

After almost 30 years in the IT business, I've learned to detest Microsoft at almost every level, from the constantly-broken Windows updates to their licensing models and their partly-unethical sales tactics.

Hating Microsoft and Cisco is just part of my soul now.

I started using Apple at work many years ago and slowly got to the point where I was just comfortable using it. Now that I'm fully invested in the ecosystem, I'm not sure I could change if I wanted to so give them kudos for that.
That's why I got out... Apple is a Nazi group like none other, so after my first iPhone and MacBook I decided to divest my life from the spendy lock-down world.

As for Cisco, being a network engineer by trade, I've learned to really dislike the post-1995 Cisco. They are a shadow of the company that they once were IMO.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:42 PM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
That's why I got out... Apple is a Nazi group like none other, so after my first iPhone and MacBook I decided to divest my life from the spendy lock-down world.
That spendy lock-down world is more secure and stable that their competitors. :-)

In all seriousness though, they all have their niche and all have them have some fairly significant flaws as companies as well, so it really only comes down to personal preference.

Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
As for Cisco, being a network engineer by trade, I've learned to really dislike the post-1995 Cisco. They are a shadow of the company that they once were IMO.
Yep. There's a real sense of entitlement in their presales guys especially.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up