ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 166 of 167
« First < 66116156162163164165166 167 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay on the Outs?
Dante84 01:21 PM 04-29-2021

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

More on NFL Live now....

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 29, 2021

#Packers GM Brian Gutekunst to ESPN: "As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond. Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) April 29, 2021

Originally Posted by :
Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay Packers, sources say
Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Packers are aware of his feelings, concerned about them and have had team president Mark Murphy, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur each fly out on separate trips to meet with Rodgers at various points this offseason, sources told ESPN.

"As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond," Gutekunst told ESPN. "Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

Rodgers has not budged this offseason, but neither have the Packers, who have made it known they are not interested in trading Rodgers anywhere.

The San Francisco 49ers called the Packers on Wednesday night, a source told ESPN, and the Los Angeles Rams inquired about Rodgers in January before they traded for Matthew Stafford.

The Packers quickly dismissed the Rams' overtures, the source said.

The Packers have offered to extend Rodgers' contract, sources told ESPN.

Rodgers is unhappy for a variety of reasons, with some of it dating back to last year's draft when the Packers didn't inform him before trading up to draft a quarterback with their first-round pick. Some took this as a sign that his days in Green Bay could he numbered.

He also is at a different point in his personal life, having recently gotten engaged to actress Shailene Woodley. Rodgers also has hosted "Jeopardy!" and said it would be a dream to become the full-time host. He could play football and host Jeopardy! together.

Rodgers has made cryptic comments about his future in Green Bay, but he has told others that he does not want to return.

On draft night, the Packers' biggest issue isn't who they land, but whether they can keep the former NFL MVP.

Rodgers' contract contained a $6.8 million roster bonus due in March. It could have been converted into a signing bonus that would have freed up more than $4.5 million in salary-cap space for this season but instead it "vested as scheduled," a source told ESPN at the time. It's listed as an automatic conversion in Rodgers' contract but even that has to be signed off on by both parties. It's not known if the Packers tried to convert and Rodgers refused to sign off on it, or if they did not attempt a conversion.

[Reply]
Mecca 01:12 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I'm just giving you shit.

I see both sides of the argument in regards to Rodgers and the Packers, just feels like you ignore everything about Rodgers.
I think he 100% got petty about it toward the end. Stopped showing up to anything voluntary etc etc. I think the Jordan Love pick mixed with him openly asking for any kind of weapons being met with "fuck off" spurned a pretty good chunk of hatred.

I do however think plenty of QB's would have been super pissed in his position. I win back to back MVPs and instead of helping me or doing anything to get us over the hump you draft my replacement.

I think there is fault on both sides but it could have been pretty easily fixed if they'd just patted Aaron on the back and given him a couple of receivers.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 01:24 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I think he 100% got petty about it toward the end...
Agreed. Hence the hate.

... if they'd just patted Aaron on the back and given him a couple of receivers acquiesced to his douchiness.
FYP
[Reply]
Mecca 01:32 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Agreed. Hence the hate.

FYP
Lets spin this though...

If Mahomes had just won MVP and the Chiefs lost in the AFC championship game and he is roughly 37 years old. Would you expect him to be just a little frustrated they drafted his replacement instead of trying to win another one?

The thing is, is I wouldn't expect the Chiefs to do that to Mahomes and I fully think if that was on the table they would tell him way beforehand.

The entire thing was handled poorly, not communicating with your franchise player, not giving him weapons to the point that it became a running fucking joke in the league. When he attempted to communicate being told they didn't want his input so he went public which then of course lead to his reputation taking a hit and we are where we are today.

I also think Rodgers just got petty about it because he realized nothing would ever change. I also think he felt he was afforded the same respect in his organization that other top QB's were in theirs.

I would personally like to hear an example of another franchise QB that was treated the way Rodgers was by the Packers.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:40 PM 05-31-2023
I think he 100% got petty about it toward the end. Stopped showing up to anything voluntary etc etc. I think the Jordan Love pick mixed with him openly asking for any kind of weapons being met with "fuck off" spurned a pretty good chunk of hatred.

I do however think plenty of QB's would have been super pissed in his position. I win back to back MVPs and instead of helping me or doing anything to get us over the hump you draft my replacement.

I think there is fault on both sides but it could have been pretty easily fixed if they'd just patted Aaron on the back and given him a couple of receivers.
You do realize they drafted Love BEFORE he won his back to back MVPs, right? Also was putting up some rather pedestrian numbers for a few seasons relative to his usual standards.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:47 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
You do realize they drafted Love BEFORE he won his back to back MVPs, right? Also was putting up some rather pedestrian numbers for a few seasons relative to his usual standards.
It's still something you have a convo about if you're considering doing that out of respect, dudes a HOFer.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 01:51 PM 05-31-2023
Lets spin this though...

If Mahomes had just won MVP and the Chiefs lost in the AFC championship game and he is roughly 37 years old. Would you expect him to be just a little frustrated they drafted his replacement instead of trying to win another one?

The thing is, is I wouldn't expect the Chiefs to do that to Mahomes and I fully think if that was on the table they would tell him way beforehand.

The entire thing was handled poorly, not communicating with your franchise player, not giving him weapons to the point that it became a running fucking joke in the league. When he attempted to communicate being told they didn't want his input so he went public which then of course lead to his reputation taking a hit and we are where we are today.

I also think Rodgers just got petty about it because he realized nothing would ever change. I also think he felt he was afforded the same respect in his organization that other top QB's were in theirs.

I would personally like to hear an example of another franchise QB that was treated the way Rodgers was by the Packers.
I hear what you are saying, but at 1-4 in Championship games, Rodgers can :-).

Not sure I recall all the details, but wasn't the Favre/Rodgers thing similar?
[Reply]
Mecca 01:56 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I hear what you are saying, but at 1-4 in Championship games, Rodgers can :-).

Not sure I recall all the details, but wasn't the Favre/Rodgers thing similar?
Yes and no, Favre got pushed out because he kept telling them he didn't know if he was going to retire or comeback and it just turned into a fucking show. Then Rodgers told Ted Thompson if Favre came back he was leaving to go play elsewhere. Thompson didn't want to just lose Rodgers so he chose to deal Favre instead.

This one is more that Rodgers and Guntekunst have had an ongoing feud almost since the day he was hired. A lot of it comes down to that Gute doesn't care that Rodgers is a franchise player, doesn't care what he wants etc etc. So he's busy blowing picks on shitty defensive players and not signing anyone while he expects Rodgers to just carry the offense.

The biggest reason this shit happened 2 times in a row is because GB doesn't have an owner. A GM there doesn't really have anyone to answer to, like here for example Clark would never in a million years let a GM just take a dump on the franchise QB.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:00 PM 05-31-2023
Uh no one is surprised by this. That GM basically told Rodgers to go **** himself, I'd love to see if you'd say "**** this guy" if in 10 years the Chiefs have a new GM and he tells Mahomes his input isn't needed and "you're just the QB" leading to Mahomes having a public feud with the organization.
That would never happen because we actually have an owner unlike the Packers
[Reply]
Mecca 02:03 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
That would never happen because we actually have an owner unlike the Packers
It'll be really funny though when Jordan Love bombs and they win 3 games.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:04 PM 05-31-2023
Lets spin this though...

The entire thing was handled poorly, not communicating with your franchise player, not giving him weapons to the point that it became a running ****ing joke in the league. When he attempted to communicate being told they didn't want his input so he went public which then of course lead to his reputation taking a hit and we are where we are today.

They treated Rodgers like they treated Favre.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 02:05 PM 05-31-2023
Rodger's post season record blows because his arm is wasted from throwing people under the bus all season
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:08 PM 05-31-2023
Wait, why are we pretending Rodgers just wanted the same relationship the Chiefs and Mahomes have? Because it's a complete bullshit narrative driven by Rodgers. Rodgers wanted Gute to do want Rodgers wanted and Gute is under no obligation to oblige him.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:15 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Wait, why are we pretending Rodgers just wanted the same relationship the Chiefs and Mahomes have? Because it's a complete bullshit narrative driven by Rodgers. Rodgers wanted Gute to do want Rodgers wanted and Gute is under no obligation to oblige him.
I think most people would acknowledge that doing nothing but drafting shitty defensive players in the 1st round when you have a need for weapons is odd. Also I think dude just wanted to have some input on what he'd like to play with. Basically all franchise QB's get that, he was basically told he's just another player nothing more.

I mean cmon now, they managed to hit on Davante Adams in the second but other than that they expected Rodgers to make it work with 3rd day draft picks.

We're gonna take defensive players with our 1st pick 6 years in a row! The one that isn't will be a QB...then we'll turn around and you know what take even more defensive players! All the while having a defense that never gets any better..

I'll go back to 18 since that is when dude was promoted to GM.

First 2 round picks each year

Jaire Alexander
Josh Jackson

Rashan Gary
Dantrell Savage
Elgton Jekins

Jordan Love
AJ Dillon

Eric Stokes
Josh Myers

Quay Walker
Devonte Wyatt
Christian Watson

Lukas Van Ness
Luke Musgrave
Jayden Reed

That is a shit ton of defensive players for a defense that still isn't good.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:18 PM 05-31-2023
Rodgers' only Super Bowl win come with a top five defense.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 02:21 PM 05-31-2023
If you look at their stats, I'd take Favre over Rodgers on the football field. You get the interceptions, but Favre is leading in some key categories.
[Reply]
Page 166 of 167
« First < 66116156162163164165166 167 >
Up