ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 118 of 167
« First < 1868108114115116117118 119120121122128 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay on the Outs?
Dante84 01:21 PM 04-29-2021

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

More on NFL Live now....

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 29, 2021

#Packers GM Brian Gutekunst to ESPN: "As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond. Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) April 29, 2021

Originally Posted by :
Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay Packers, sources say
Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Packers are aware of his feelings, concerned about them and have had team president Mark Murphy, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur each fly out on separate trips to meet with Rodgers at various points this offseason, sources told ESPN.

"As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond," Gutekunst told ESPN. "Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

Rodgers has not budged this offseason, but neither have the Packers, who have made it known they are not interested in trading Rodgers anywhere.

The San Francisco 49ers called the Packers on Wednesday night, a source told ESPN, and the Los Angeles Rams inquired about Rodgers in January before they traded for Matthew Stafford.

The Packers quickly dismissed the Rams' overtures, the source said.

The Packers have offered to extend Rodgers' contract, sources told ESPN.

Rodgers is unhappy for a variety of reasons, with some of it dating back to last year's draft when the Packers didn't inform him before trading up to draft a quarterback with their first-round pick. Some took this as a sign that his days in Green Bay could he numbered.

He also is at a different point in his personal life, having recently gotten engaged to actress Shailene Woodley. Rodgers also has hosted "Jeopardy!" and said it would be a dream to become the full-time host. He could play football and host Jeopardy! together.

Rodgers has made cryptic comments about his future in Green Bay, but he has told others that he does not want to return.

On draft night, the Packers' biggest issue isn't who they land, but whether they can keep the former NFL MVP.

Rodgers' contract contained a $6.8 million roster bonus due in March. It could have been converted into a signing bonus that would have freed up more than $4.5 million in salary-cap space for this season but instead it "vested as scheduled," a source told ESPN at the time. It's listed as an automatic conversion in Rodgers' contract but even that has to be signed off on by both parties. It's not known if the Packers tried to convert and Rodgers refused to sign off on it, or if they did not attempt a conversion.

[Reply]
staylor26 10:10 AM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I kinda hope he does opt out bc it would be poetic justice to those dumbasses in the GB front office.

I’d laugh my ass off
0% chance it happens.
[Reply]
jettio 03:55 PM 06-26-2021
So here is an article about the death of Ted Thompson, right before last year's NFC Championship Game. Thompson's career in the NFL is set forth and it pretty much shows that whenever Ted Thompson was around, the Packers were great. Ted Thompson also helped the Seahawks to become a Super Bowl team the few years he was away. Thompson became the Packers GM in the 2005 offseason in which he drafted Aaron Rodgers.

This idea that the Packers front office was not well run is bullshit and the reason there is such a great mismatch between what a lot of Packers fans think and the yakkety yak on ESPN, FS1 and NFL Network is that Packers fans have read articles like this one, where Rodgers praises Ted Thompson and laments his early death and quotes his advice. the idea that Rodgers would go out of his way to publicly humiliate Ted Thompson's successor, Brian Gutekunst, looks even more interesting after reading this article.

I think it is about time that someone on the yakkety-yak shows got the nerve to do something other than be a Rodgers sycophant.

‘I hugged him, and I told him I loved him': How Aaron Rodgers said goodbye to Ted Thompson
JASON WILDE For the State Journal Jan 22, 2021

GREEN BAY — Aaron Rodgers was worried.

Twice during the 2019 season, Ted Thompson — the man who launched Rodgers’ NFL career by selecting him with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft after his disappointing draft-day tumble — had visited Lambeau Field, checking in on Rodgers, the team, and general manager Brian Gutekunst, one of Thompson’s protégés.

Thompson, the architect of the Green Bay Packers’ Super Bowl XLV championship team, had spent 13 years as the team’s GM (2005 through 2017) before transitioning in January 2018 from the team’s general manager to an advisory role and quasi-retirement. He’d been inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame in May 2019, and had announced a few days after the ceremony he was suffering from what he termed an “autonomic disorder.” Intensely private, Thompson did not share any details of his condition, when he began experiencing symptoms or how the disorder specifically impacted him and his work near the end of his tenure as GM.

But both times Rodgers saw Thompson thereafter, he left their conversations wondering if he had delivered his last goodbye to the man who’d not only drafted him but stood by him during the summer of 2008 when Thompson traded away iconic quarterback Brett Favre to make way for Rodgers to become the starter.

Thompson died on Wednesday night, just three days after his 68th birthday. The news spread among his former players and scouts Thursday morning before Packers coach Matt LaFleur confirmed Thompson’s death as his team prepared for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Lambeau Field.

Rodgers, now in his 13th year as the Packers’ starting quarterback and a future Pro Football Hall of Famer, will lead the team into that game, one of a host of key players who remain on the Green Bay roster after being acquired by Thompson.

“I knew he wasn’t doing great,” Rodgers said in a phone interview late Thursday afternoon. “That was really hard, to see him like that — for sure.

“I still got to spend a couple lunch times with him, and I hugged him, and I told him I loved him. I wasn’t sure either time that I saw him last year if it was going to be the last time that I saw him. So, I wanted to make sure I got a chance to tell him how much I appreciated him. I really wanted to let him know how much I appreciated him and how thankful I was for him taking me, and believing in me, and giving me an opportunity.”

This season, the Packers had four players voted as first-team All-Pro selections by The Associated Press: Rodgers, wide receiver Davante Adams, left tackle David Bakhtiari and center Corey Linsley. All four players have one thing in common: They were all Thompson draft picks. Kicker Mason Crosby, running backs Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, defensive linemen Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry, cornerback Kevin King, right guard Lucas Patrick and tight end Robert Tonyan were all originally acquired by Thompson.

“He's had a tremendous impact,” LaFleur said. “Not only on people in this building — obviously ‘Gutey’ and a lot of our personnel people — but people in other departments as well. His impact is still felt to this day when you look at our roster, but I think he's had a tremendous impact amongst many people across the league when you look at all the other GMs that have learned under him. Certainly, we're sitting here with heavy hearts today.”

Team president/CEO Mark Murphy later announced that, to honor Thompson, the team will install his name on the Lambeau Field façade before next season — something Murphy had recently shared with the Thompson family.

“I feel so blessed that I had the opportunity to work with him,” Murphy said. “Just a humble man, but so smart. We all owe a debt of gratitude to him. Look at his stamp; it’s on our team now. … Obviously, he was willing to make difficult decisions. He knew that was part of his job. (But) he was always looking for the good in people. I think we all just learned so much being around him.”

Added Gutekunst, who rose from college scout to being one of Thompson’s top personnel lieutenants before taking over for him: “This is a very competitive business, and everybody wants to win badly. But his ethics were at the top of the charts. There was no compromise there. He wasn’t one that had a very big circle that he let people into. Over time, I was lucky enough to be one of those guys. Selfishly, I wish he was still around because what we’re doing right now with this football team, I think he’d really enjoy.”

Thompson, who played 10 NFL seasons (1975 through 1984) as a linebacker and special teams standout for the Houston Oilers, was working in the financial sector in Houston when Packers general manager Ron Wolf hired him in 1992. One of the first tasks Wolf gave Thompson was to evaluate film of the Atlanta Falcons’ wild, third-string quarterback — Favre. Days later, Wolf traded a first round pick for Favre, the pivotal moment that fueled the downtrodden franchise’s renaissance, set the stage for the 1996 team’s Super Bowl XXXI championship and eventually led to Wolf being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Thompson worked for the Packers until 2000, when he left to join ex-Packers head coach Mike Holmgren in Seattle, where Thompson was in charge of the Seahawks’ scouting department while Holmgren held the dual role of coach and GM. With Thompson’s keen scouting acumen, the Seahawks built a roster that led to a berth in Super Bowl XL.

Thompson returned to Green Bay in 2005, after then-head coach/GM Mike Sherman was stripped of his personnel duties by then-team president/CEO Bob Harlan, who had hired Wolf to resurrect the franchise in 1992. With his very first draft pick as GM, he took Rodgers, who is expected to win his third NFL MVP and has the Packers one victory away from a Super Bowl return a decade after their last appearance.

Even Rodgers acknowledged that Thompson’s reserved, humble approach meant many players never got to know him well. A scout at heart — even while running one of the league’s signature franchises — Thompson traveled frequently and rarely addressed the team. Believing the locker room was the players’ sanctuary, he seldom ventured inside, other than to deliver postgame congratulations.

“Knowing Ted for so long, he was always such a mystery almost. He loved scouting, so he was gone doing that a good amount of time,” Rodgers recalled. “We saw him at the beginning of training camp every year, he would give us a few words, but there wasn’t a ton of dialogue over the years. But I always appreciated the handshakes after the game and when we would share words. “The thing that I always remember — he would say it during training camp, and he said it to me early on in my starting career — he always stressed, ‘Make it about the team. Always make it about the team. Not about yourself.’ “He was a really, really humble man, and I definitely appreciated that humility.”

[Reply]
BlackOp 12:34 AM 06-27-2021
Well this opt out option just killed what little hope Donk fans had...as I said earlier, Packer brass arent going to trade him.

That would switch the blame to them if Love tanks...and Rodgers makes his new team successful.

Now if Rodgers wants...he can make $11+ million doing nothing. He gets the blame...Packers front office can say "we tried, we cant make him play".

He's not going to sit out...they'll kiss and make up.

Watson owes him some $$$ for taking the media attention off of his situation...convenient timing for the League.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:55 AM 06-27-2021
Rodgers has moved into 1st place as the biggest drama queen quarterback in NFL history.

He finally surpassed Favre at something.
[Reply]
New World Order 12:29 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Well this opt out option just killed what little hope Donk fans had...as I said earlier, Packer brass arent going to trade him.

That would switch the blame to them if Love tanks...and Rodgers makes his new team successful.

Now if Rodgers wants...he can make $11+ million doing nothing. He gets the blame...Packers front office can say "we tried, we cant make him play".

He's not going to sit out...they'll kiss and make up.

Watson owes him some $$$ for taking the media attention off of his situation...convenient timing for the League.
Blackop, what is Knowmo thinking at this very moment?
[Reply]
sedated 01:22 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Rodgers has moved into 1st place as the biggest drama queen quarterback in NFL history.
Rodgers has literally said nothing this offseason. It's all been media speculation. And yet some dumbasses are getting worked up like he has a daily podcast talking shit on the Packers.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:47 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:

He finally surpassed Favre at something.
Awww man, please don't compare my dude Brett to that flaming chode :-)
[Reply]
jettio 01:57 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
Rodgers has literally said nothing this offseason. It's all been media speculation. And yet some dumbasses are getting worked up like he has a daily podcast talking shit on the Packers.
Not showing up to OTAs when he always did before and missing mandatory mini-camp means something.

Rodgers also has weighed-in in ways that would get attention.

The media has run away with the story, but Rodgers is participating in the attention seeking and trying to humiliate the Packers management and has created a situation where his teammates can't speak freely.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:03 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by jettio:
Not showing up to OTAs when he always did before and missing mandatory mini-camp means something.

Rodgers also has weighed-in in ways that would get attention.

The media has run away with the story, but Rodgers is participating in the attention seeking and trying to humiliate the Packers management and has created a situation where his teammates can't speak freely.
Yep, he may not be in front of a camera every day... but he's definitely egging it on, and helping create a huge distraction for a contender-type team
[Reply]
Kman34 02:21 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yep, he may not be in front of a camera every day... but he's definitely egging it on, and helping create a huge distraction for a contender-type team
They are a non contender-type team without him and he knows it..
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:33 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Kman34:
They are a non contender-type team without him and he knows it..
Thats a fact, but his behavior strikes me as douchey and selfish... its almost like he's trying to sabotage his, and his teammates upcoming season IMO
[Reply]
sedated 03:14 PM 06-27-2021
The overwhelming "shut up and do what you're told, employee" mindset is dumbfounding. Imagine if Pat Mahomes was not showing up to OTAs because his GM was Scott Pioli, would he be a diva douche trying to seek attention?
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 03:42 PM 06-27-2021
The overwhelming "shut up and do what you're told, employee" mindset is dumbfounding. Imagine if Pat Mahomes was not showing up to OTAs because his GM was Scott Pioli, would he be a diva douche trying to seek attention?
If Mahomes were pushing 38, had shown signs of losing interest in the game in recent years, and was whining about the organization not being solely committed to him for several more years, I might be in the “shut up and show a little respect to the organization that’s made you filthy rich for throwing a ball” camp.

A lot more people than Aaron Rodgers are affected by this. He’s disrupting and possibly destroying a great opportunity to win a championship for a team and coaching staff that is probably very hungry for it after the way last season ended.
[Reply]
sedated 03:55 PM 06-27-2021
^^^ Lol Rodgers won MVP last year - not interested in the game anymore?

I would love to see Chiefs fans tell Mahomes that all he does is throw a football.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 04:14 PM 06-27-2021
^^^ Lol Rodgers won MVP last year - not interested in the game anymore?

I would love to see Chiefs fans tell Mahomes that all he does is throw a football.
He was ultra motivated last year for obvious reasons. The last few years prior were pretty average, and he appeared to be nearly checked out at the end of the 2019 season. Which is why they drafted Love.
[Reply]
Page 118 of 167
« First < 1868108114115116117118 119120121122128 > Last »
Up