ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 277 of 324
« First < 177227267273274275276277 278279280281287 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:05 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
6 sacks and 11 QB hits yesterday. A causal fan looking at boxscore stats would think we’re elite :-)

Its not just casual fans

there was a bunch of dipshits bragging about the Defense in the GDT yestderday vs the shittiest offense if football
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:10 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
We have a pass rush problem but are at 42 sacks and on pace for 55.

6 sacks and 11 QB hits yesterday. A causal fan looking at boxscore stats would think we’re elite :-)
The Chiefs defense is a power hitter that bats .235
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:34 PM 12-12-2022
Specializes in running shell coverages :-)
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:36 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
DEN had 13 drives yesterday. 7 ended with punts. 2 ended with INTs by the KC defense.

DEN scored on four drives. Three of which occurred within less than 20 minutes and accounted for 34 snaps, essentially back to back with little to no rest.

The average length of drive for the other 9 DEN drives was 8.1 yards per drive.
This team has a SERIOUS problem at stopping teams in the redzone though. Allowing 4 TDs to Denver is fucking pitiful
[Reply]
philfree 12:51 PM 12-12-2022
I feel like Spags' job is to make chicken soup out of some good chicken parts with some chicken shit added in. He needs less shit and more chicken.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:58 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
It's hard for me to get behind firing Spags, but it's more due to the fact that I like the person than what he's accomplished. Let's face it....the defense has never been above average during his time in KC. And at times it's been bad. He's had a very up and down career in general.

We could do a lot worse than Spags but I also think there are people available who would do better.
That's fair
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:59 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm sorry, I just have to say this about all this "shell coverage" "Fangio is a genius, we should run that scheme" shit.

That scheme is not new. It's old. It's as old as the forward ****ing pass. It's not special. It's not some kind of cheat code.

IF and it's a big IF: you can successfully rush the passer with 4, then you can sit back in coverage with 7, taking away the big play and clog passing lanes.

If you CANNOT rush with 4, you will look very, very bad.

The reason it works against the Mahomes/Allen/Burrows of the league is because those defenses running it well can all get rush the passer with 4.

You want the defensive cheatcode? Have 4 pass rushers that can win one on ones consistently.

That's it. That's the whole ****ing thing.

If you don't have that, then you have to live and die by the blitz, like Kansas City does.

It's that simple, and everything else is nonsense.
I tend to agree with this in general. And I think there are much worse options than Spags out there. But go back and watch the Bengals D on our last drive, vs. our D in the 4th quarter.

The Bengals are flashing all over the place, in an organized way, could be cover-0, could be rush 3 with a spy - you really can't tell until the snap. They seem to be doing a ton of complicated crap and they're always moving around, yet still know exactly where they're supposed to be, and I suspect confusing Mahomes with it.

Our D maybe threatens one extra rusher sometimes. But other than that they seem to just mostly sit there looking lifeless as they wait for the snap.

Maybe there's good reasons why we can't do what the Bengals are doing. But to my layman eye, if I was on offense, I'd rather play against the Chiefs.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:00 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
This team has a SERIOUS problem at stopping teams in the redzone though. Allowing 4 TDs to Denver is fucking pitiful
No question. They haven't been good in the RZ. Though some of them were ridiculous circus catches, a la Mike Williams making that insane one-handed diving snag, or whatever. There's been a handful of those just great execution plays against the defense that no defense was going to defend.

But overall the Chiefs defense hasn't been good in the RZ. I think one of the worst this season.

But I just can't put all the blame on the defense for yesterday's debacle in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. They were on the field for 34+ snaps with almost no rest.

I mean, come on. That's three 10-12 play drives back-to-back-to-back. Any defense is going to get tired about halfway through that. For example, the DAL defense were put in a similar situation vs. HOU. Their ST and offense turned the ball over twice in short order, and HOU scored a pair of TDs from less than 30 yards out. One of the best defenses in the league, if not the best defense, allowed a pair of TDs against the worst offense in the league. And no one's calling for the DAL DC's head today.

Add in the fact that the secondary is still learning and still having issues with communication, well, it wasn't shocking that they gave up a couple plays.

But if the Chiefs offense doesn't put our defense in that situation, and at least force DEN to drive 65+ yards, I seriously doubt they score three TDs. In fact, their season stats and probability says they only score 19 points at most. They were gifted great field position three times by Mahomes and got a little lucky.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:08 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
There's no part of me that would feel confident another DC would clearly get more out of our very young defense at this point.

I absolutely am not convinced that the grass is greener.

Give the guy more time with a group that's still growing.
We need pass rush from our front four in the worst way. I'm happy with our LBers and DBs, and I love the pressure they generate on blitzes, but our D-Line needs to be upgraded ASAP. End, specifically.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 01:12 PM 12-12-2022
I'm not quite understanding how a defensive scheme that Spags claims is supposed to thrive with the lead continually gives up points in the way they do with the lead. They have drafted players, thrown money at veteran free agents, they have moved and replaced most of the position coaches. And still the same bottom 15 defense is always the result. At some point you homers are going to have to admit that Spags system has grown stale and is no longer a reliable defensive scheme. No matter how many new players you keep throwing at it. It's broken, and so is Spags.

Turnovers aside. Mahomes needs to keep firing. Period. Could you imagine him being gun shy on the 1st TD to McKinnon? How many QB's just tuck it in and take the loss of yards in the situation? Easily the majority of them tuck it. And you have to think even the QB's who don't, do any of them have the abilities of Mahomes to actually pull it off? Pfft. Keep firing Patrick/

Defense fucking sucks, period. From the man running the scheme on down to the homers that are too blind to see it.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:14 PM 12-12-2022
The Cowboys great D gave up 23 to the fucking Texans who were missing both of their starting WRs.

Welcome to the NFL.
[Reply]
notorious 01:16 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
The Cowboys great D gave up 23 to the ****ing Texans who were missing both of their starting WRs.

Welcome to the NFL.
Shit happens.

I'll be honest, I was getting pissed yesterday because I know they are capable of way more.

I also think that we kept it pretty vanilla, and I said as much in the game day thread.

No need to give away good shit against the Donks.

I believed in them before, I'm sticking with it. Every team goes through some rough runs.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:18 PM 12-12-2022
a week before christmas we can expect some quit in the texans
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:27 PM 12-12-2022
I don't know if I'd count on that from the team that almost beat the Cowboys in Dallas.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:29 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
I'm not quite understanding how a defensive scheme that Spags claims is supposed to thrive with the lead continually gives up points in the way they do with the lead. They have drafted players, thrown money at veteran free agents, they have moved and replaced most of the position coaches. And still the same bottom 15 defense is always the result. At some point you homers are going to have to admit that Spags system has grown stale and is no longer a reliable defensive scheme. No matter how many new players you keep throwing at it. It's broken, and so is Spags.

Turnovers aside. Mahomes needs to keep firing. Period. Could you imagine him being gun shy on the 1st TD to McKinnon? How many QB's just tuck it in and take the loss of yards in the situation? Easily the majority of them tuck it. And you have to think even the QB's who don't, do any of them have the abilities of Mahomes to actually pull it off? Pfft. Keep firing Patrick/

Defense fucking sucks, period. From the man running the scheme on down to the homers that are too blind to see it.
Nope. The math is pretty clear. Turn the ball over twice in a game in the NFL in the SB era, and the odds of winning go down to under 50%. Turn it over 3 times and it's under 20%, iirc. Only because of Mahomes have the Chiefs been able to maintain a winning record when turning the ball over 2 times or more in a game.

Throwing back-to-back picks in an NFL game is almost always a loss. Mahomes has to dial back the gunslinger stuff a bit, and he knows it. Though that one pick by Surtain was just ridiculous. That was just lucky.
[Reply]
Page 277 of 324
« First < 177227267273274275276277 278279280281287 > Last »
Up