ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>VPN service
lewdog 08:39 PM 07-25-2021
I have never had a VPN service (which is probably stupid considering everything I use my phone for).

Sell me on what VPN service I should get and approximate cost.

Thank you,
Lewdog
[Reply]
eDave 08:59 PM 07-25-2021
Express with a bunch of free shit like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify and Prime thrown in. $6.67/m paying 15 in advance with 3 free. And you can buy it with bitcoin.

https://www.expressvpn.com/order
[Reply]
Mecca 09:03 PM 07-25-2021
It depends what you want to use it for.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:15 PM 07-25-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Express with a bunch of free shit like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify and Prime thrown in. $6.67/m paying 15 in advance with 3 free. And you can buy it with bitcoin.

https://www.expressvpn.com/order
How is that thrown in?

Please remember my Windows 11 thread when answering.

Originally Posted by Mecca:
It depends what you want to use it for.
Mostly thinking about the financial stuff I do from my phone like access bank accounts and trade stocks on public Wi-fi. That’s probably not very smart, is it?
[Reply]
unlurking 09:28 PM 07-25-2021
I like BoxPN. Been using it for 6 or 7 years now. Was one of the #1 choice on That One Privacy's Guy's ratings 5 years ago as well.

Whichever way you go, I'd recommend WireGuard if you're trading stocks. Latency is much lower than OpenVPN or even SSTP.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:38 PM 07-25-2021
NORDVPN is the one I use
[Reply]
eDave 09:44 PM 07-25-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
How is that thrown in?

Mostly thinking about the financial stuff I do from my phone like access bank accounts and trade stocks on public Wi-fi. That’s probably not very smart, is it?
It unlocks them for you. They are free. So you save money by spending money. Your PC is won't even register it.
[Reply]
Fish 10:00 PM 07-25-2021
How is that thrown in?

Phone banking apps are already encrypted. Not saying it's impenetrable. But they put a lot of effort into online security. Nobody is hijacking your data transfer in that way. VPN wouldn't really provide any additional benefit to be honest. Would just slow down your connection. Not quite as sure about stock apps, but I would assume it wouldn't really be of much benefit there either.

Lots of VPN companies now advertise their services for stuff that's unnecessary.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:35 PM 07-25-2021
To be fair you only really need a VPN if you're going to pirate stuff and need your ISP to not notice.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:21 AM 07-26-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Phone banking apps are already encrypted. Not saying it's impenetrable. But they put a lot of effort into online security. Nobody is hijacking your data transfer in that way. VPN wouldn't really provide any additional benefit to be honest. Would just slow down your connection. Not quite as sure about stock apps, but I would assume it wouldn't really be of much benefit there either.

Lots of VPN companies now advertise their services for stuff that's unnecessary.
Originally Posted by Mecca:
To be fair you only really need a VPN if you're going to pirate stuff and need your ISP to not notice.
Not looking to pirate here.

Just concerned after using hotel Wifi and such during a trip, logging into bank and investment accounts. Was seeing VPN suggested as a means for safer transactions when using public WiFi.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:38 AM 07-26-2021

Just concerned after using hotel Wifi and such during a trip, logging into bank and investment accounts. Was seeing VPN suggested as a means for safer transactions when using public WiFi.

I only use public wifi if I can't get signal from one of 2 hotpots. I don't use public wifi without VPN. While I agree in principal with Mecca's comment (for home use), it only applies if your system and comms are hardened for operation outside a firewall. Do you have local ad-blocking (real blocking, not advertiser owned blocking software lol)? Does your browser block javascript for unapproved domains (DNS poisoning is real, ESPECIALLY on public wifi and the cesspool of users commonly on it). Are all inbound ports set to drop or do you have "sharing" services open that you use on your home network with other devices? Are you using encrypted DNS (not just in your browser)?

Beyond that, you'll find that many public wifi services are provided "free" to hotels or other chain environments. They still do pop-in advertising, tracking, and block services (like external DNS). Often they'll require you to "register" with a last-name and/or room number which they can then cross-reference your traffic patterns with what the hotel knows about you (yes, they are selling your data too). Surprisingly, many of these wifi networks still allow some VPN protocols (for most Marriott brands, I can confirm WireGuard) even before registration.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 07:52 AM 07-26-2021
Meanwhile fucking Airports block most VPN services.
[Reply]
Fish 10:30 AM 07-26-2021

That's my point. Unless you're trying to pirate software, you don't need a VPN. It's not going to provide any additional protection.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 11:03 AM 07-26-2021
When I lived in China express was pretty good for being able to access my social media and YouTube and most google applications.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:32 AM 07-26-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
That's my point. Unless you're trying to pirate software, you don't need a VPN. It's not going to provide any additional protection.
In fact, I've found that some banking sites will block you if you're using a VPN since that's a pretty solid way of indicating you're up to something nefarious.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up