ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hurricane Ian Watch
cmh6476 06:29 PM 09-26-2022
Bucs heading to Miami to practice this week.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/hurrican...s-game-to-move
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:22 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
It's been the same forever.

Part of that is the media and its hype.

Part of that is also if it's not taken seriously and it's serious a lot of people will die.

There isn't always some nefarious agenda.
Yeah, shit like that's impossible to report..... hey, there's this 0.0025% chance something bad will happen, but if it happens, IT'S REALLY FUCKING BAD.

And people take the media as fake hype and false alarms until Katrina happens, and you have that much more money poured into saving people who didn't think it was a big deal because it's never been THAT big of a deal before. It's more about the burden of the masses sticking around than the chance you'll actually die, too, so people don't care as much.

Same with KC and tornado warnings... Katie Horner was notorious for freaking out and yelling at viewers to take cover, but that one time that tornado hits your neighborhood and you're on the porch watching instead of in your basement, you could be dead.

And sure, you also have the reporters who are standing outside in the middle of hurricanes and what not, which is obviously for ratings just as much as anything.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:49 PM 09-27-2022
Being down there just yesterday and thinking about a hurricane hitting Captiva and Sanibel, I find I’m pretty perplexed. How is it possible that 6-8 foot storm surge and 120 mph winds don’t cause more of a panic? I mean stores and restaurants were still open and the road off the island was completely bare. There were probably 15-20 people just fishing on the bridge between those two islands. Do the buildings just withstand those conditions better than I imagine?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:56 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
this wont get it to you

Need one to come into TX

It appears the fallback is Minneapolis for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:38 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
It appears the fallback is Minneapolis for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F that (new) shithole
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:57 PM 09-27-2022
It's raining in Florida, the world must stop...
[Reply]
Frazod 11:27 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
It's been the same forever.

Part of that is the media and its hype.

Part of that is also if it's not taken seriously and it's serious a lot of people will die.

There isn't always some nefarious agenda.
Forever is right. I remember when Hurricane Gloria was bearing down on Norfolk in '85. I was stationed on a ship, the ship was in the shipyard, and the ship's sole engine was sitting on the pier under a tarp. Every other ship based there that could get underway went to a safe anchorage spot way up in Chesapeake Bay, but we were screwed - quarter inch steel hull with a giant fucking hole cut in the side where the engine had been removed. And I was double screwed because I was on the alpha personnel list (a member of the fire party) so while most of the crew was told to flee the area I had to remain onboard. My ground level apartment was in Oceanview less than a couple of hundred yards from the bay, so my wife spent money we didn't have to get a room at a motel in the center of town that night. Of course at its highest point Norfolk is only a few feet above sea level, and we were told that the storm surge could swamp the entire city. I was completely convinced, at age 20, that we were both going to die that night, and all I could do was wait for it to happen. My Midwestern imagination was running wild. Would I merely drown, or would the ship be picked up by some enormous wave and crushed like an empty beer can? And the news reports did nothing but predict our imminent destruction. Talk about feeling helpless and hopeless. Standing around for hours waiting to die horribly fucking sucks.

In the end, nothing came of it. The predicted track was wrong, and Gloria moved back out into the open Atlantic. No storm surge, and only minimal damage as we only caught the fringes. But I'll never forget that day and night, along with the media's relentless predictions of doom that ended up being a bunch of overblown crap.

I completely understand why people who have been promised that the world's going to end and then it doesn't don't take these warnings seriously. You don't believe it's going to happen to you until it does.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:17 AM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Being down there just yesterday and thinking about a hurricane hitting Captiva and Sanibel, I find I’m pretty perplexed. How is it possible that 6-8 foot storm surge and 120 mph winds don’t cause more of a panic? I mean stores and restaurants were still open and the road off the island was completely bare. There were probably 15-20 people just fishing on the bridge between those two islands. Do the buildings just withstand those conditions better than I imagine?
See previous post.

I guess we will find out soon.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:35 AM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Forever is right. I remember when Hurricane Gloria was bearing down on Norfolk in '85.
I was living in NJ at the time before moving to Florida. Gloria was my first hurricane and hit on my 5th birthday.

Glad you survived it as well. And your experience is spot on for the overwhelming majority of people.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:40 AM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Forever is right. I remember when Hurricane Gloria was bearing down on Norfolk in '85. I was stationed on a ship, the ship was in the shipyard, and the ship's sole engine was sitting on the pier under a tarp. Every other ship based there that could get underway went to a safe anchorage spot way up in Chesapeake Bay, but we were screwed - quarter inch steel hull with a giant fucking hole cut in the side where the engine had been removed. And I was double screwed because I was on the alpha personnel list (a member of the fire party) so while most of the crew was told to flee the area I had to remain onboard. My ground level apartment was in Oceanview less than a couple of hundred yards from the bay, so my wife spent money we didn't have to get a room at a motel in the center of town that night. Of course at its highest point Norfolk is only a few feet above sea level, and we were told that the storm surge could swamp the entire city. I was completely convinced, at age 20, that we were both going to die that night, and all I could do was wait for it to happen. My Midwestern imagination was running wild. Would I merely drown, or would the ship be picked up by some enormous wave and crushed like an empty beer can? And the news reports did nothing but predict our imminent destruction. Talk about feeling helpless and hopeless. Standing around for hours waiting to die horribly fucking sucks.

In the end, nothing came of it. The predicted track was wrong, and Gloria moved back out into the open Atlantic. No storm surge, and only minimal damage as we only caught the fringes. But I'll never forget that day and night, along with the media's relentless predictions of doom that ended up being a bunch of overblown crap.

I completely understand why people who have been promised that the world's going to end and then it doesn't don't take these warnings seriously. You don't believe it's going to happen to you until it does.
Spent hurricane Hugo in Charleston, SC in a submarine in dry dock with emergency patches welded over the opening that had been cut in the hull. With the main engines, ballast, and reduction gears out, they weren't sure which way it was going to float when they flooded the drydock (because the surge was predicted to come over the wall). :-) The USS Narwhal that, at the time, was waiting for her own drydock, actually opened the vents and they put her down in the mud of the Cooper River.. Good times.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 04:58 AM 09-28-2022
As close to a cat 5 as you can get without actually being a cat5
[Reply]
scho63 05:36 AM 09-28-2022
Upgraded to CAT4
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:39 AM 09-28-2022
Welp, looks like a Netflix sort of day... There's only so much of this coverage you can take. :-)
[Reply]
FlaChief58 05:44 AM 09-28-2022
Look at the size of this storm!We're fucked!
Attached: FB_IMG_1664364974023.jpg (47.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Lprechaun 06:58 AM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
Upgraded to CAT4
It's 1 mph under a cat 5
[Reply]
FlaChief58 07:04 AM 09-28-2022
Sofar we just have light rain and a nice breeze. It's only 75 here so I turned off my ac and opened up windows and doors. Were supposed to start feeling hurricane strength winds around noon
Attached: FB_IMG_1664288049530.jpg (44.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up