ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Macro view: Remember, this is technically a rebuild year...
Dante84 10:20 AM 09-26-2022
I know that's a dirty phrase to utter, but it's important to keep things in perspective here.

We *barely* lost the game, and unfortunately there were some critical rookie mistakes, horrendous misses from an off-the-street kicker. We also had Gay & McDuffie out. A very weak personal foul call was a fatal blow. It sucks, but sometimes it be that way.

Looking ahead
Taking a big-picture view, we have one of the strongest rosters in the league, one of the youngest rosters in the league, with the best QB in the league, and multiple key starters locked up for at least the next 2 years. We also have a top-2 coach in the league, with a top-5 GM in the league armed with a talent evaluation staff that is top-notch. Our medical and training staff is among the best in the league as well.

We will have more than par picks next year. We have no reason to believe that our young defensive players will not continue to ascend, similar to Gay/Bolton. We should have cash to spend next year as well, should we choose to.

While we should absolutely be competing for a Super Bowl every year that we have Mahomes, and we likely will this year, it's crazy to think that we are this good and well set up for the future on a year where we are overhauling our entire receiving corps and have a fresh-out-the-womb defense.

We are going to rip butts wide open for the next 3-5 years if we see this thing through, and likely get a few rings because of it. Games like yesterday are part of the growth, as grumpy as that makes us on a week-to-week level.

Update - 2/15/23

Brett Veach lifts up the Lombardi Trophy, as he says, "This is what a rebuilding year looks like in Kansas City."

— Pete Sweeney (@pgsween) February 15, 2023

[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:26 AM 09-27-2022
Although I disagree this is a rebuild year, I do believe we're seeing some of the growing pains of our retooled roster. We're going to be a different team the second half of the season as the new and young guys alike continue to grow and gel. I mean we've barely even used Skyy. Dude is going to make his mark but not early.
[Reply]
Best22 12:55 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
This is why this team needs to be drafting WR early and often and worry less about our D. Memories are short here it seems but people were pretty insistent that Mahomes being a "force multiplier" meant replacing Hill with MVS and JJSS and drafting in the 2nd would be fine.

Sure and this is what fine looks like. We'll win a lot of games but our offence will take a step back. Just amazes me that people watched Hill these years and thought, yeah that's ALL Pat, we won't miss a beat with the WR committee approach.

People worrying about whether we snuck Pickens early in the 2nd rather than Moore also seem to be the people who didn't really prioritise WR. We know Pat's great, and now we know great WRs can also elevate great QBs.
I think some of us were expecting Pat to be more consistent than he was in 2021 which would help to elevate the offense. So far he has been

Anyone who thought we could be like the 2018 offense was a homer. I still think we can be better than last year just with a lower ceiling. And the defense also has an opportunity to be better than last year. Through the first 3 weeks they look a lot better than they did in 2021. This is a young defense so improvement is certainly something we might see

Get into the playoffs and who knows what happens
[Reply]
carcosa 01:16 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Would the Chiefs have ever lost a game if not for the refs?

IMO no. We would be undefeated all time.
All drank too that!!!!!
[Reply]
oldman 04:02 AM 09-27-2022
Let's quit bitching about the Hill trade. Without it we wouldn't have McDuffie, Moore, and one of the 7th rounders. Keeping Hill would have cost us a lot of money for a guy that's almost 29. The cupboard for '23 isn't quite as bare as some would suggest. Watson will probably be reasonable enough to keep and we have Ross on IR. MVS is starting to connect with PMII and let's see what Moore brings. Kelce isn't the only TE on the roster, we have Gray and Fortson. Demote or get rid of CEH and give more carries to Pacheco. We can save some cash by giving Henne a nice gold retirement watch and moving Buechele into QB2.

The emphasis should be on keeping PMII upright and that will require a new LT and probably a RT as well. That RT may already be on the payroll. While I agree that we should let Mahomes be Mahomes, it wouldn't matter if we had 3 Hills in the pattern if Patrick doesn't have time to find the open one.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:53 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Best22:
I think some of us were expecting Pat to be more consistent than he was in 2021 which would help to elevate the offense. So far he has been

Anyone who thought we could be like the 2018 offense was a homer. I still think we can be better than last year just with a lower ceiling. And the defense also has an opportunity to be better than last year. Through the first 3 weeks they look a lot better than they did in 2021. This is a young defense so improvement is certainly something we might see

Get into the playoffs and who knows what happens
Agree re any 2018 comparisons. I think we can possibly still be a better team this year, overall. I don't think this offence is better. It'll improve, it'll be good, but it will also probably be worse until we reload at OT and WR.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:30 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
KC has no left tackle for next year. They maybe have a right tackle if Niang or Kinnard show anything.

The WR room next year is Moore, MVS, and Ross.

The DEs next year (assuming Clark is cut, which he should be) are Karlaftis, Kaindoh, and Herring.

DT needs more bodies.

Runningback room is a mess.

Cornerbacks look strong, linebackers could be great, safety is fine if we sign Thornhill. Interior OL is top notch and Mahomes is a top NFL QB with the right tools.

This is far from the strongest roster in the NFL. This roster is pop warner compared to Buffalo. Buffalo has a highly paid QB but has still managed to surround him with talent and a well built team. Brandon Beane is lapping Brett Veach at team building.

Agreed that this is a rebuild, but we’re look at a 2-3 year rebuild if most of the draft picks are hits.

Kelce will be 34 next year.
If we dont have a left tackle next year...well it wont look much different from this year except on the rare occasion we run under center and directly up the middle and to the left.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:01 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
FYP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fucked in the ass by Bermuda grass.

See, that one still works. :-)
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:10 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Dante84:
I don’t know that it’s silly.

9 rookies made our final 53, and a handful of FA additions to the roster replaced departing FA’s.

Use what word you like - rebuild, reload, refresh, revamp - my point still stands.
Sounds like a soft rebuild to me.
[Reply]
New World Order 03:58 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
:-) :-)

This entire time i've been reading the thread title as "Marco" view.

I'm like, who the **** is Marco? :-)
I think it’s Marco View
[Reply]
raybec 4 04:26 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by New World Order:
I think it’s Marco View
I went to high school with that guy, fuck him.
[Reply]
Bl00dyBizkitz 04:47 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I've already seen two ESPN notification this morning along the lines of "Are the Chiefs in trouble?!" and then "Did the Colts provide the blueprint to beat the Chiefs?"

It's hilarious the media and people go down these rabbit holes every single year and others have to say the same old Captain Obvious things about how none of it matters at this point.

Just hang out and wait for the Chiefs/Bills playoff game in January.
Wheres the "Are the Bills in trouble?" headlines?
[Reply]
xztop123 05:00 PM 09-27-2022
Mitchell Schwartz Is looking more and more like the best signing the chiefs have made in my lifetime.
[Reply]
xztop123 05:03 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Bl00dyBizkitz:
Wheres the "Are the Bills in trouble?" headlines?
Look at the stats of the games
[Reply]
TEX 06:21 PM 09-27-2022
This is why this team needs to be drafting WR early and often and worry less about our D. Memories are short here it seems but people were pretty insistent that Mahomes being a "force multiplier" meant replacing Hill with MVS and JJSS and drafting in the 2nd would be fine.

Sure and this is what fine looks like. We'll win a lot of games but our offence will take a step back. Just amazes me that people watched Hill these years and thought, yeah that's ALL Pat, we won't miss a beat with the WR committee approach.

People worrying about whether we snuck Pickens early in the 2nd rather than Moore also seem to be the people who didn't really prioritise WR. We know Pat's great, and now we know great WRs can also elevate great QBs.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:44 PM 09-27-2022
This is why this team needs to be drafting WR early and often and worry less about our D.
What?

What would you have done this past draft?

Please provide the exact plan you would've executed to support this position.

If Williams or Olave or London or Wilson had slipped, we would've drafted them (and may we have even traded up had they been available in the middle of the 1st). Should we have spent one of our first two picks on Dotson or Burks? Would that be the investment you would've made that would've obviously moved the needle while ignoring our DL or our CB deficiency?

So then is it Watson at the beginning of the second? Or what are we talking about versus taking Moore later that round?
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up