Media Center>House of the Dragon
Hammock Parties 01:11 PM 07-20-2022
OH YEAH!

All the dragons roar as one.
The #HOTD trailer has arrived. pic.twitter.com/ug7ESvpg8U

— House of the Dragon (@HouseofDragon) July 20, 2022

[Reply]
BlackOp 03:06 AM 08-22-2022
I only realized two days ago that this wasn't the same series as that woke Hobbit trash Amazon is about to release... I have deliberately avoided any information on that.

I knew nothing about it...thought it was a good start...then again I wasn't comparing it to GOT and had low expectations.

It'll be interesting where is goes...GOT had a million sub plots, wars, and the threat of White Walkers always looming. It jumped around every week which helped keep the pace engaging. This is focused on one family, no war and no White Walkers....seems more like Succession in a fantasy setting.

Hopefully it takes on a life of it's own....like Better Call Saul did.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:05 AM 08-22-2022
Less than three minutes into the very first episode and they've managed to piss me off. I hate exposition. It's lazy storytelling. The worst kind is narration. The second worst kind is text thrown up on the screen. The shittiest way to do words on a screen is to play with the text to make sure your dumb-as-fuck audience gets it.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:43 AM 08-22-2022
Lol what a silly thing to get worked up about.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:47 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I prefer villains and anti-heroes :-)

Doesn't look like I'm alone though. From what I've seen, Daemon is the early fan favorite.
Lol.

Yeah he was my favorite as well. The episode didn't disappoint me. Felt like i was watching Game of Thrones and Daemon stole the show. Both as an actor and a character.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:51 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
It's also unfair to compare this to peak Thrones right now which took many episodes and many years to get reach the level of complexity and character development it did (S1 of that also didn't even really start rolling until mid-season).
Agreed. My recollection of season 1 was that it was a fight to get through the first several episodes and i really didn't get satisfaction till the end of the season.

This episode of House of the Dragon felt like GOT several seasons in already in terms of production value.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:18 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Less than three minutes into the very first episode and they've managed to piss me off. I hate exposition. It's lazy storytelling. The worst kind is narration. The second worst kind is text thrown up on the screen. The shittiest way to do words on a screen is to play with the text to make sure your dumb-as-**** audience gets it.
I had the exact same reaction. But the show, for a first episode with a lot to set up, was otherwise off to a good start.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:35 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I had the exact same reaction. But the show, for a first episode with a lot to set up, was otherwise off to a good start.
Sure. The story is interesting enough and there are certain actors/characters who are compelling. I will give it a shot.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:01 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
A good start which introduced many potentially interesting characters. It's also unfair to compare this to peak Thrones right now which took many episodes and many years to get reach the level of complexity and character development it did (S1 of that also didn't even really start rolling until mid-season).

I'm pretty sure I read there's been more spent per episode on this show than GoT. Certainly there would have to be more money in it than the early seasons of that.
Huh. Didn’t look like it. At least in sets.I know the dragons cost big money. And I’m sure that little fly through kings landing cost more than I’ll make in a lifetime but hitting the screen there was a lot of stuff that looked cheap. Most of the castle stuff looked like a set rather than a carved stone, some of the armor looked like LARP stuff compared to the original stuff.

And like this carriage. Shit looks like it’s straight off a syfy set.

I read that the glut of marvel/DC/Star Wars/GOT basically everything that’s out now is graphics heavy and graphics houses are feeling the crunch. There has been a lot of talk of Marvel stuff looking bad. Basic Supply/Demand curves could dictate that even substandard work could cost more than 8 years ago.

I’m nowhere near educated enough to speak intelligently on it, but it doesn’t look good in some places. It was bad enough to take me out of it but I’m not mad. Im here for the story and performances. Id have much rather them told a better story than put up the awesome visual of Drogon shaking off the snow (that was awesome, BTW). But it’s there.
[Reply]
Pogue 11:35 AM 08-22-2022
Read somewhere it cost 20-30 million an episode for House of Dragon. GoT cost somewhere around 100 million for an entire season.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:40 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by Pogue:
Read somewhere it cost 20-30 million an episode for House of Dragon. GoT cost somewhere around 100 million for an entire season.
Holy shit.

[dork]I'd be interested in the inflation numbers in that industry. Typically technology makes any specific scene cheaper, but I'm guessing that's not the case in 2022. I'd pay to see a comprehensive analysis.[/dork]

My opinion. Don't fuck up the details that will take me out of it, even if it means pulling back from pitch scenes.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:05 PM 08-22-2022
They spent $200 million on this season. Another $100 million to promote the show.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:36 PM 08-22-2022
That got me wondering how money is made..

Google says HBO ended 2021 with 48.6 million subscribers. To make math simple, assume they get $10 per subscriber per month. Assume the average subscriber only holds the subscription for 6 months. HBO takes in almost $3 billion.

And that's just American subscribers. Apparently there are over 70 billion global subscribers.

I'm sure they're doling out a ton on original series production, movie/TV show rights, tech guys to keep the app running smoothly, etc. but damn. Seems like they're raking in cash.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:40 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

And like this carriage. Shit looks like it’s straight off a syfy set.

I noticed that carriage design too for what it's worth...like a b-movie prop.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:05 PM 08-22-2022
7/10 good start, to be fair this is leading up to some major wars too. So I'm interested
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:28 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
That got me wondering how money is made..

Google says HBO ended 2021 with 48.6 million subscribers. To make math simple, assume they get $10 per subscriber per month. Assume the average subscriber only holds the subscription for 6 months. HBO takes in almost $3 billion.

And that's just American subscribers. Apparently there are over 70 billion global subscribers.

I'm sure they're doling out a ton on original series production, movie/ tv show rights, tech guys to keep the app running smoothly, etc. but damn. Seems like they're raking in cash.
HBO said they made $2 Billion in profit off GOT. Probably wrote off another $8 Billion to avoid taxes.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 37
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up