ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>Must see Documentaries
Baby Lee 12:17 PM 07-09-2022
Seemed like a decent time, with everything else in the doldrums including new media. Plus this doc just came out and I couldn't find the right place to put it. Closest was 'must watch series' but this has different metrics.

Plus it's good to have a repository of people hyping good docs so people have inspiration to check them out.

It's 'the rest of the story' behind the abduction that led to the mini-series 'I Know my Name is Steve' and it has some twists and turns and some powerful emotion behind it.

This one, I suggest people go in as cold as they can, because it gets wild but in ways you wouldn't expect. But the trailer itself spoils some of it something fierce if you aren't aware of the existing narrative.

EDIT - by which I mean I suggest you skip the trailer below, but include it if you wish to watch it pre-spoiled, or need it to know if you are interested.

[Reply]
Bowser 02:50 PM 07-11-2022
Just watched Meltdown: Three Mile Island. Great stuff, and more proof that the government isn't your friend or out to take care of you.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:38 PM 07-11-2022
Challenger: The Final Flight didn't really unearth new ground, but MAN it was well done. Some of the interviews were just brutal to watch.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:18 PM 07-11-2022
Three of my favorites, to the point I've rewatched each several times.

[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 05:42 PM 07-11-2022
Evil Genius on Netflix was really good. It starts as a story about a pizza delivery guy with a bomb around his neck and then goes into detail about all of the people involved. It's a crazy story.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:35 PM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Love documentaries, and I'm pumped to check out some recommendations from this thread. Good idea!

Some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
The Vow (series)
13th
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
Making a Murderer (series)
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
I'm a sucker as well. I watched the Enron Doc. I started business school in 2003 and nobody even mentioned Mark to Market valuation. That was fascinatingly retarded. And frankly I can't believe NOBODY in Arthur Anderson thought "hol up. What now?" 25 years later it is remarkably stupid. Then weird shit like Theranos happens. Then WeWork. And the cycle continues, but it is a damned interesting story.

Originally Posted by Bowser:
Just watched Meltdown: Three Mile Island. Great stuff, and more proof that the government isn't your friend or out to take care of you.
Yeah, I watched that a month or so ago. It was really good. I think Nuclear is still where we need to be, but yeah, the negligence there is a horror show.

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Challenger: The Final Flight didn't really unearth new ground, but MAN it was well done. Some of the interviews were just brutal to watch.
Agreed. Impressive filmmaking.
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:38 PM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm a sucker as well. I watched the Enron Doc. I started business school in 2003 and nobody even mentioned Mark to Market valuation. That was fascinatingly reeruned. And frankly I can't believe NOBODY in Arthur Anderson thought "hol up. What now?" 25 years later it is remarkably stupid. Then weird shit like Theranos happens. Then WeWork. And the cycle continues, but it is a damned interesting story.
I said the list was in no particular order, but I have to say the Enron doc is probably my favorite. Alex Gibney is a hell of a filmmaker, and that subject matter was right up my alley too. And yes, the mark to market stuff blows my mind, and how a firm as old and storied as AA gets caught up in that mess still makes my head hurt. Speaking of Gibney, he directed an episode of "Dirty Money" on Netflix, which is another fantastic doc series you should check out.
[Reply]
EPodolak 09:43 PM 07-11-2022
Couple of others, "Free Solo" is excellent - story about a dopamine addicted rock climber who attempts superhuman stuff. Amazing story.

"Twenty Feet from Stardom" is the story of very talented backup singers over the years who never managed to hit the big time as artists in their own right.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:46 PM 07-11-2022
Gonna start on The Anarchists tonight. Did anyone closely follow the saga at Anarchapulco?

I recall it vaguely but didn't pay much attention, but looks like things got wild. . .

[note, haven't seen anything but trailer below as of posting]

[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:49 PM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
"Twenty Feet from Stardom" is the story of very talented backup singers over the years who never managed to hit the big time as artists in their own right.
Forget Documentary, that is one of the best media products of any type the past decade, I could just watch it on a loop practically.

I've raved about it often in the past, and I'm sure you could look up prior posts [which will also probably pull up prior documentary discussions as well].
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:55 PM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Couple of others, "Free Solo" is excellent - story about a dopamine addicted rock climber who attempts superhuman stuff. Amazing story.

Free Solo made my cornhole clench. Sitting on my couch.
[Reply]
Fish 11:50 PM 07-11-2022
I suggest everyone watch this and understand the seedy greedy nature of all social media...

[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:03 AM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Free Solo made my cornhole clench. Sitting on my couch.
Heard Bugeater was looking for a new name . . .
[Reply]
Indian Chief 01:41 PM 07-12-2022
I'll second The Social Dilemma. Also, I just watched a well done documentary on the oyster industry, The Oyster Farmers. Learned a lot and it's not as heavy as a lot of documentaries.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:34 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Evil Genius on Netflix was really good. It starts as a story about a pizza delivery guy with a bomb around his neck and then goes into detail about all of the people involved. It's a crazy story.
saw the video of the guy exploded it look like it took off his head but it put a foot hole in his chest
[Reply]
Titty Baby 03:44 PM 07-12-2022
The Last Breath - deep sea diver trapped at bottom of North Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJL57Gq2OQ

Gladbeck: The Hostage Crisis - 1988 hostage taking in Germany, but much more to the story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yP5BRLhUE

Crazy Love - title sums it up, I won't give away the plot twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62xvVk9VEI
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up