ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
nmt1 09:13 AM 03-06-2002
I'm looking pretty hard at the Ibanez models. Hope they have one at Mars that I can look at.

Headsnap:

Not sure what the effects unit does. Can you explain that a little? Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
Pennywise 09:28 AM 03-06-2002
Jump on it man. Thats a cool deal for a starter.

Take that advice and check MF and get one with a bag. You can stuff your drugs-strings-picks-music and etc in there. Something you can sling on your shoulder as opposed to just carrying your guitar around and looking like a goof, especially on your way to guitar lessons...

Effects are cool. You can make that guitar sound like whatever... and the amp too.

Or decent enough anyway.

I dig Zoom. I was gonna get one of those little hand held effects bastards some time ago and didn't

Shopping for an amp...(later on down the gear purchasing road)
is just as hard as looking for a guitar. With the whole watt and speaker combinations, tube or solid state decisions you will have to make. Have fun with that shit or just go buy one. It always fun especially when you get the green light (by yourself or the old lady) to spend $...One of the few things I will actually freaking shop for...

There all plenty of amps on the cheap end though. Ill post a link if I find one too. How loud are you planning on playing?
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 09:33 AM 03-06-2002
nice lookin' axe . . I really dig the contoured body . . . kind of a PRS thing goin.
[Reply]
nmt1 09:39 AM 03-06-2002
Pennywise:

Not planning on playing real loud yet. I live in an apartment with reed thin walls. I have to practice there. Any amp suggestions you could make would be cool.

Pants:

Not sure about the color but I think I can get it in black or something. Forgive my stupidity but what does PRS stand for?
[Reply]
Pennywise 09:43 AM 03-06-2002
I will man. I lived on the 4th floor in a housing area in Germany. I would drink like a half a rack of Heineken and play. Sometimes I got a little out of hand and to loud.

The ladies in the building would not let their children look at me.

MP's knocked on the door on more than one occasion. So I understand the apartment vibe.

Paul Reed Smith dude.
[Reply]
nmt1 09:44 AM 03-06-2002
Again, forgive my stupidity. Who's Paul Reed Smith?
[Reply]
philfree 09:51 AM 03-06-2002
I have a cool guitar! Can't play it but I have it. It's a Bentley... It has hollow body but it's also electric.The pickup is inside and it works with a 9 volt battery. It's probably considered junk by real enthusiast but to me it's cool.

PhilFree:-)
[Reply]
Pennywise 09:54 AM 03-06-2002
http://www.prsguitars.com/

One of the dudes that started the company (Ted McCarty) used to work for Gibson. He was on the whole Les Paul wave or something.

If you wanted to drop a little more. There is a Santanna SE (I think) PRS for $475. Really nice. Lower end price range for their guitars. Check out the higher end though.
[Reply]
nmt1 09:59 AM 03-06-2002
I was in the midst of looking PRS on the net when you posted. Those look really nice.
[Reply]
headsnap 10:09 AM 03-06-2002
nmt1, if I get a chance, I will post some samples of the zoom 505, and it's effects sounds this afternoon.

the cool thing about an all-in-one effects unit is that you can use it as a headphone amp. you could also plug it into your computers sound in and use your computer as an amp until you get a real one.
[Reply]
Pennywise 10:10 AM 03-06-2002
http://www.prsguitars.com/

One of the dudes that started the company (Ted McCarty) used to work for Gibson. He was on the whole Les Paul wave or something.

If you wanted to drop a little more. There is a Santanna SE (I think) PRS for $475. Really nice. Lower end price range for their guitars. Check out the higher end though.
[Reply]
nmt1 10:19 AM 03-06-2002
Headsnap:

Plugging it into the computer or using headphones would be perfect for my apartment situation. I'll check it out. Thanks.
[Reply]
Pennywise 10:45 AM 03-06-2002
http://www.songworks.com/index1.htm

These amps caught my eye a few years ago. A little on the high end for a practice amp and Im not saying you need one... but I really dig them and think they look cool, especially if you only need a small amp. Mermaids are cool too, except you are limited to blowjobs till you dry her off. Otherwise you get scaly. Thats their logo on the front...

They have gotten some really good reviews and I dig the lunchbox design. Its also an all tube amp.

Playing through headphones using a processor is cool too. Good advice even. So only YOU can hear what you are doing. And you can play along to a metronome or MP3 blah blah and it wont be so spacey sounding like trying to play with the stero in the living room. If that shite made sense. I should do some work today. Guitar threads are just too damn cool.
[Reply]
nmt1 10:53 AM 03-06-2002
Pennywise:

Sorry I'm keeping you from work. I really appreciate all the information and links. Trying to soak up all the info I can right now.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:16 AM 03-06-2002
These are all good suggestions. Of course, I'm skewed towards Fenders, as I own and play a pair of 1972 Fender Telecasters. One a thinline with P-90's, one standard. (of course, that info is aimed at the other geetar players on the board, not to you nmt1)

As far as amps go, you might look at some of the smaller amps that have a headphone jack on them, if you live in an apartment.

By the way, since other folks are posting their bands, I might as well add mine. I play lead guitar for Kristie Stremel's band, just in case anyone wants to look,
www.kristiestremel.com

Chris
[Reply]
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up