ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>The Woman King
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01:25 AM 09-20-2022
I havent seen this yet. It seems good. I am tired of the patriarchy and this, finally, is a film that shares my modern sensibilities and just goes there.

This is a brave, bold film that only racists wouldnt love.

Little synoposis:

The Woman King is a 2022 American historical epic film about the Agojie, the all-female warrior unit that protected the West African kingdom of Dahomey during the 17th to 19th centuries. Set in the 1820s, the film stars Viola Davis as a general who trains the next generation of warriors to fight their enemies.

I'm sure most here have already seen this a few times. Is it good, or is it great?
[Reply]
HC_Chief 12:01 PM 09-21-2022
Starting to think this movie is an epic troll.... beyond next level shit
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:42 PM 09-21-2022
Trash. Fake woke trash.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:05 PM 09-21-2022
:-)

Anyone now want to revisit the question of why there's more politics seeping into the CP media center?
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 06:09 PM 09-21-2022
The lead actress is already calling anyone who won't watch this trash racist.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:31 PM 09-21-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
aaaand most of them got slaughtered by the French.
They were trying to level the playing field...
[Reply]
Fishpicker 06:57 PM 09-21-2022
99% on rotten tomatoes. why is viola davis complaining about anything? this movie is universally loved
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:28 PM 09-21-2022
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
99% on rotten tomatoes. why is viola davis complaining about anything? this movie is universally loved
So was that Pixar panda movie about periods.

And it is EASILY the worst movie Pixar has ever made.

It's pretty sad that you can tell how a movie is going to be ranked these days and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the movie. When reviewers are simply scared to disparage something, they'll just say nothing rather than critique. And then those who get off on virtue signaling will boost the rankings by writing laudatory reviews.

And ultimately this MAY be a quality film. I dunno. Movies with more ridiculous premises than this one are released every month.

But like I said, it's the historical illiteracy and echo chamber one must reside in to support this thing that galls me. Maybe the performances and visuals and story are truly amazing as stand-alone considerations. It doesn't change the fact that these were AWFUL people who shouldn't be celebrated. And this isn't even one of those things you can hand waive by saying "you really need to contextualize it for their time" (even though we're not actually allowed to do that anymore I guess) because these folks were comparatively evil even in relation to their peers. They were unique in the region as being inordinately aggressive and dependent on the slave trade for their economic sustainability.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:07 PM 09-21-2022
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:

Anyone now want to revisit the question of why there's more politics seeping into the CP media center?
Russian bots?

[Reply]
smith11 01:18 AM 09-22-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
I havent seen this yet. It seems good. I am tired of the patriarchy and this, finally, is a film that shares my modern sensibilities and just goes there.

This is a brave, bold film that only racists wouldnt love.

Little synoposis:

The Woman King is a 2022 American historical epic film about the Agojie, the all-female warrior unit that protected the West African kingdom of Dahomey during the 17th to 19th centuries. Set in the 1820s, the film stars Viola Davis as a general who trains the next generation of warriors to fight their enemies.

I'm sure most here have already seen this a few times. Is it good, or is it great?
so these women warriors protected da homies?
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:57 AM 09-22-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
They were trying to level the playing field...
It was the French Foreign Legion during the 19th & 20th centuries. They were pretty hardcore and effective soldiers recruited from the scum of Europe.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:27 PM 09-22-2022
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
It was the French Foreign Legion during the 19th & 20th centuries. They were pretty hardcore and effective soldiers recruited from the scum of Europe.
Mickey Mouse also joined in the 1930s.

Great comic story.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 01:19 PM 09-22-2022
Do not culturally appropriate!
[Reply]
listopencil 03:17 PM 09-22-2022
Why would anyone give this a shot? It looks like shit.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:55 AM 10-03-2022
https://reason.com/2022/09/30/the-wo...e-slave-trade/

Another brief but pointed take-down.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up