6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:14 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
I am not at all in favor of a downtown stadium. I think that it would be a huge mistake for the Kansas City Royals.

It would be extremely costly, esp given how leveraged the new ownership group is. You literally have a free, MLB-acceptable park. 600M x 5% interest x 1/2 burden = $15M interest annually. They’d have to clear that amount in added revenue to come out ahead.

However, it was discussed here (at least I did) that JE Dunn is a significant shareholder. He wouldn’t put in 20% of the cash needed to buy the Royals if he wasn’t promised a ballpark next door to his headquarters in East Village

If there ever was a new park you can take it to the bank it’ll be there, since Dunn owns several lots there
[Reply]
Boxer_Chief 11:17 AM 09-14-2021
I don’t get why so many are opposed to downtown stadium. Every stadium I’ve gone to in another city with a downtown park is so much better. It’s a much cooler vibe and experience. The younger crowd will like it more, tailgating for baseball is just so much worse than football. Not to mention it will get more visitors to the ballpark and make KC like like an actual major city, which will only benefit the owners. The K as it is is just played out, it’s time for a fresh start.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:22 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by SPchief:
Hope he enjoys the new role, it's time to move on. Thanks for getting us out of baseball purgatory.

As far as a downtown stadium, just get used to it. I don't think there's any way around that. Hopefully they figure out a way to get the fountains and the crown down there
The stadium is still great. Unfortunately it’s the area around the stadiums. There’s nothing to do. People just drive off off post game and go home.
[Reply]
theoldcoach 11:29 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by Boxer_Chief:
I don’t get why so many are opposed to downtown stadium. Every stadium I’ve gone to in another city with a downtown park is so much better. It’s a much cooler vibe and experience. The younger crowd will like it more, tailgating for baseball is just so much worse than football. Not to mention it will get more visitors to the ballpark and make KC like like an actual major city, which will only benefit the owners. The K as it is is just played out, it’s time for a fresh start.
What brings more visitors to the ballpark is winning baseball games.

The K is STILL one of the finest stadiums in Major League Baseball.

Ingress and egress from the stadium is as good as it is at any professional sports venue in the country.

I'm not one of the young guys. Everyone here knows that. I am one of the old guys. But I wasn't always old. I've been to most of those downtown stadiums over the years and did not find them so intriguing. If I want to go to bars and restaurants, I want to go to bars and restaurants. If I want to go to a baseball game, I want go to a baseball game. And I do not want to fight traffic and parking issues to get there.

That is my opinion. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way. But my opinion will not change!
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:31 AM 09-14-2021
Prob will say Chiefs could use the extra parking space. Which is true.

They might even mention JE Dunn is a construction company that might just want that new ballpark project
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:37 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Piccolo has been making most of the draft decisions for a while. This will give him full control, I'd think. He also will likely get full control over the roster on a day-to-day basis.

President will be more strategic/high-level. Think VP or Director and how they work with a manager in the business world.
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm glad gmdm isn't leaving cause I think he deserves to stay as long as possible. Hopefully he enjoys other projects going forward.

Excited to see this new era.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:37 AM 09-14-2021
Downtown parks are great for visitors and those who can walk, reasonably ride share, or take public transportation. The level of misery from driving in/out and parking from the KC sprawl sounds dependent on how well its planned out.

As a non-resident I'm definitely looking forward to it, although the K is still a great visit.
[Reply]
TLO 11:40 AM 09-14-2021
Kevin Kietzman just jizzed himself to death
[Reply]
tk13 11:41 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
The World Series happened, thankfully. Many thanks to Moore for that.

The question is, do you see that happening again? Can he repeat the same formula that worked before to obtain another World Series? My opinion is that he can't, and that going forward it's best to be similar to the As or Rays and to be in the hunt each and every year. But that's just me.

You don't have to trade the World Series for anything, because it happened. What they do going forward should in no way be linked to what happened in the past. Whoever is the best for the job from 2021-2030 and beyond should be the GM, not who did something a decade ago. If that's Moore and Co then fine, continue to employ them. I think there are better options out there, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. Moore clearly has done something right with some of the moves he's made lately, so hopefully there's a chance they can contend soon.
I think the million dollar question is how this new hitting development philosophy in the minors translates to the majors. Seeing what Nicky Lopez has done is really exciting, but there's still a long way to go.

It's going to be tough now anyway because teams like the Yankees and Dodgers not only spend money but they hoard most of their prospects. Instead of trading guys like Walker Buehler and Gavin Lux they're now playing alongside Scherzer and Mookie Betts.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:44 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
Picollo now is Sherman's man. We will soon find out if Matheny is Picollo's man.

The answer today will be that he has his full support, of course. And I'm sure will remain that way through the end of the season and perhaps the start of next.

But a slow start or surely another 10 game losing streak will surely spell Matheny's doom.

It is rare when, following a DM change, that a Managerial change doesn't soon follow.

Moore got his golden parachute and good for him. He probably deserves that. But I will admit that I will be glad to see the day-to-day GM decisions controlled by someone else. Even if it is an internal promotion. Picollo appears to be qualified for this job.

We shall soon see how this all plays out.
My hope as well is that this means a new manager for next year, but since it's an in house hire and DM is still here I don't think Matheny is going anywhere until next year at the earliest.
[Reply]
tk13 11:45 AM 09-14-2021
My biggest worry isn't the location, it's that they'll mess it up. The K is one of the most beautiful parks in baseball, everyone says it when they come through. You read bloggers or whatever who do stadium tours and everyone's always surprised at how well it's held up considering it's one of the oldest stadiums in baseball.

The fountains and crown board are so cool. They have to maintain those elements in a new stadium. Hopefully someone doesn't get carried away and build some futuristic monstrosity or make something that's a carbon copy of Busch. It still needs to feel like Kansas City.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:49 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
My hope as well is that this means a new manager for next year, but since it's an in house hire and DM is still here I don't think Matheny is going anywhere until next year at the earliest.
I think he’s probably back. But that rope has to be extremely short.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:50 AM 09-14-2021
If a downtown stadium can bring more attendence, which means more revenue, then I'm all for it. If it helps bring more money to local businesses then I'm all for it. I don't see any downside, really.
[Reply]
srvy 11:54 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Worst throw ever? That looks really painful.

Wow the first base ump is really exposed there. He has got to get in a position to call safe or out.

I smell 1st base umps wearing helmets soon.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:59 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Downtown parks are great for visitors and those who can walk, reasonably ride share, or take public transportation. The level of misery from driving in/out and parking from the KC sprawl sounds dependent on how well its planned out.

As a non-resident I'm definitely looking forward to it, although the K is still a great visit.
The K downtown would be awesome. But you're correct that our public transportation infrastructure does make it challenging. Busses from distal parking lots work for 8-10 home football games, but probably not as well for the number of games MLB baseball teams host.

But I'm 100% down with baseball being a downtown deal.
[Reply]
Page 390 of 440
« First < 290340380386387388389390 391392393394400 > Last »
Up