6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:33 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
Do you think this is will change anything overall or do you think gmdm still will make roster decisions as president?
I bet he gets to spend more time on his true love, the Urban Youth Academy, and similar community projects.
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:34 AM 09-14-2021
@Feinsand: The Royals are promoting Dayton Moore to president of baseball operations and JJ Picollo to GM, per source.
Holy crap it's freaking happened.
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:40 AM 09-14-2021
Now if we can only get Sherman to step in and do something about Matheny!
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:51 AM 09-14-2021
Wow. Wish he was gone completely. But it’s changes I guess.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:55 AM 09-14-2021
Do you think this is will change anything overall or do you think gmdm still will make roster decisions as president?
Piccolo has been making most of the draft decisions for a while. This will give him full control, I'd think. He also will likely get full control over the roster on a day-to-day basis.

President will be more strategic/high-level. Think VP or Director and how they work with a manager in the business world.
[Reply]
tk13 09:58 AM 09-14-2021
Dude won a World Series with a small market team. Even the A's and Rays haven't done that. He's never going anywhere, and honestly he probably shouldn't. Just promote him to a VP job and let him work on the Urban Academy and things like that. There were a lot of terrible years, but he won a World Series in the sport with the worst financial gap between rich and poor, built one of the greatest farm systems of all time and has managed to rebuild into a top 5 farm system. That's pretty tough.

It's wild to me that so many people would prefer them to basically be Martyball and be competitive like the A's every single year but not do anything in the playoffs for 20 years. But I wouldn't trade that World Series year for anything.
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:02 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
Dude won a World Series with a small market team. Even the A's and Rays haven't done that. He's never going anywhere, and honestly he probably shouldn't. There were a lot of terrible years, but he won a World Series in the sport with the worst financial gap between rich and poor, built one of the greatest farm systems of all time and has managed to rebuild into a top 5 farm system. That's pretty tough.

It's wild to me that so many people would prefer them to basically be Martyball and be competitive like the A's every single year but not do anything in the playoffs for 20 years. But I wouldn't trade that World Series year for anything.
I totally agree.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:03 AM 09-14-2021
Dude won a World Series with a small market team. Even the A's and Rays haven't done that. He's never going anywhere, and honestly he probably shouldn't. There were a lot of terrible years, but he won a World Series in the sport with the worst financial gap between rich and poor, built one of the greatest farm systems of all time and has managed to rebuild into a top 5 farm system. That's pretty tough.

This.

He hasn't been perfect and they really lost their way in the minor league system in the early part of the 2010s. But they have course corrected well in the past 3-4 years.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:04 AM 09-14-2021

The World Series happened, thankfully. Many thanks to Moore for that.

The question is, do you see that happening again? Can he repeat the same formula that worked before to obtain another World Series? My opinion is that he can't, and that going forward it's best to be similar to the As or Rays and to be in the hunt each and every year. But that's just me.

You don't have to trade the World Series for anything, because it happened. What they do going forward should in no way be linked to what happened in the past. Whoever is the best for the job from 2021-2030 and beyond should be the GM, not who did something a decade ago. If that's Moore and Co then fine, continue to employ them. I think there are better options out there, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. Moore clearly has done something right with some of the moves he's made lately, so hopefully there's a chance they can contend soon.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:41 AM 09-14-2021
No problem with allowing DM to be president or whatever, but will he want to stay as that for long?

I'm curious to see if Picollo has an affection for shitty gritty utility guys or has been/never were players way past there prime.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:57 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
The World Series happened, thankfully. Many thanks to Moore for that.

The question is, do you see that happening again? Can he repeat the same formula that worked before to obtain another World Series? My opinion is that he can't, and that going forward it's best to be similar to the As or Rays and to be in the hunt each and every year. But that's just me.

You don't have to trade the World Series for anything, because it happened. What they do going forward should in no way be linked to what happened in the past. Whoever is the best for the job from 2021-2030 and beyond should be the GM, not who did something a decade ago. If that's Moore and Co then fine, continue to employ them. I think there are better options out there, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. Moore clearly has done something right with some of the moves he's made lately, so hopefully there's a chance they can contend soon.
Can the Royals win a World Series with a lineup anchored by Bobby Witt Jr., MJ Melendez, Salvador Perez, and one of Pratto/Pasquatino, and a rotation led by Lynch/Hernandez/etc.?

That's the question.

I can see it. The way they've turned the developmental system around in the past few years for both arms and bats is impressive.

With Piccolo, you hope:
1) He is a driving force behind the improvements in that system (I think he is)
2) He keeps doing the things that have recently been successful
3) He has some similar good ideas to try, that he hasn't been able to try yet.
[Reply]
theoldcoach 11:03 AM 09-14-2021
Picollo now is Sherman's man. We will soon find out if Matheny is Picollo's man.

The answer today will be that he has his full support, of course. And I'm sure will remain that way through the end of the season and perhaps the start of next.

But a slow start or surely another 10 game losing streak will surely spell Matheny's doom.

It is rare when, following a DM change, that a Managerial change doesn't soon follow.

Moore got his golden parachute and good for him. He probably deserves that. But I will admit that I will be glad to see the day-to-day GM decisions controlled by someone else. Even if it is an internal promotion. Picollo appears to be qualified for this job.

We shall soon see how this all plays out.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:03 AM 09-14-2021
Another thing to occupy Moore's time as president:

Royals chairman John Sherman will also use this afternoon's press conference to touch on plans and hopes for a downtown stadium, I'm told by sources.

Big day for Kansas City.

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) September 14, 2021

[Reply]
theoldcoach 11:06 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Another thing to occupy Moore's time as president:

I am not at all in favor of a downtown stadium. I think that it would be a huge mistake for the Kansas City Royals.
[Reply]
SPchief 11:12 AM 09-14-2021
Hope he enjoys the new role, it's time to move on. Thanks for getting us out of baseball purgatory.

As far as a downtown stadium, just get used to it. I don't think there's any way around that. Hopefully they figure out a way to get the fountains and the crown down there
[Reply]
Page 389 of 440
« First < 289339379385386387388389 390391392393399439 > Last »
Up