View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 23 of 343
« First < 131920212223 242526273373123 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
TEX 07:15 AM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Laremy Tunsil comes to mind as a recent player at this position.

There are a handful of QBs who have been “highest paid” despite being merely “good” at the position.

QB, LT, pass rusher… are positions where when you have a really good player who maybe isn’t actually elite, you still may be giving them top-of-position money when it comes time to re-sign them.
You nailed it with Laremy Tunsil. That deal is a disaster for the Texans. What makes matters worse for them is he has declined since joining the team. He has made zero difference.
That can't be said about OBJ, so there's that...
[Reply]
Coogs 09:03 AM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That’s not what he’s making.

He’s making about $15 million/yr over those 3 years.

That’s not really LT money.
I get that. Every contract has the prorated bonus money as part of the overall total count towards the cap.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:35 AM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
You nailed it with Laremy Tunsil. That deal is a disaster for the Texans. What makes matters worse for them is he has declined since joining the team. He has made zero difference.
Tunsil was a disaster for the Texans because of how much they gave up for him regarding picks. The Texans are an absolute dumpster fire, so it’s hard to say he made no difference or not.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:59 AM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Look, the Chiefs are gonna PAY OBJr. and it will likely be very handsomely but they will do it in a way that makes the deal very cap friendly for the team going forward.

If OBJr. really was asking for something outlandish and NOT willing to work with the confines listed above, the Chiefs can always pivot to having him play on the franchise tag this year and try again next year or simply trade him next off-season for more draft capital.

My gut tells me they get a deal done and it’ll be something that works for the team and the cap going forward regardless of whether he ends up with the highest AAV for tackles or not.

We’ll be fine.
Good post. I’ll get off the ledge.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:16 AM 05-30-2022

Tunsil’s level of play hasn’t been a disaster. Though the Texans certainly have.

He’s not elite, but he’s above average. Top 10 LT for sure.
[Reply]
TEX 10:22 AM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Tunsil was a disaster for the Texans because of how much they gave up for him regarding picks. The Texans are an absolute dumpster fire, so it’s hard to say he made no difference or not.
Completely safe to say, that the Texans have not gotten out of Laramie Tunsil what they expected to.
[Reply]
TEX 10:25 AM 05-30-2022
Tunsil’s level of play hasn’t been a disaster. Though the Texans certainly have.

He’s not elite, but he’s above average. Top 10 LT for sure.
I'll tell you one thing for sure, he's #1 among LT's for false starts. He is also below average at run blocking. I'd be surprised if he actually still grades out in the Top 10 overall. Playing in Houston has not done him any favors.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:10 PM 05-30-2022
Laremy Tunsil comes to mind as a recent player at this position.

There are a handful of QBs who have been “highest paid” despite being merely “good” at the position.

QB, LT, pass rusher… are positions where when you have a really good player who maybe isn’t actually elite, you still may be giving them top-of-position money when it comes time to re-sign them.
Fair point, although I'd argue that it most notably happens at QB and not as much at other positions. Most other positions at least have a guy that's in the argument for the best at the position when getting a top-of-market deal. That said, WR is going a bit nuts.

I will say, OBJ isn't worth 6+ million over what he should be getting in setting that market. He's a player worth $16-18m per and not a player worth $24-25m per. If you're re-setting the market with a guy, he should be near the "worth it" mark and among the top handful at the position. For me, OBJ is neither and I wouldn't just hand this guy a top-of-market contract. I just don't think he's a guy you sit down and say is one you keep despite the cost. I also have a hard time reconciling that Tyreek wasn't worth 25 per year, but OBJ is.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:10 PM 05-30-2022
This is a perfect example of how someone will absolutely ignore the obvious, when it's stairing them right in the face, in order to prove their point, no matter how wrong it is. I don't know what to tell you but you're not going to see a LT get beat worse than OBJ did. If you can't see that it's only because you don't want to. Sure Remmers was ass, but OBJ was worse.

OBJ was even worse than ass on the Garret sack.

IMO, we should try and sign OBJ but not at a price that makes him the highest paid LT in football.
It literally all comes down to contract structure. Perfect example is Juju. The announcement was “Juju signs 1 year deal worth $10.75 million” and tons of posters here started bleeding everywhere.

Then the structure came out and we only pay him a cap number of $2.89 million with lots of incentives that if met means we get a damn good player.

Veach can “pay” OBJ Jr the highest contract “on paper”. I bet most of it will be gauranteed up front with a lot of that money backloaded.

That’s why it’s always best to see what the cap hits will be year-by-year on these deals.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:19 PM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It literally all comes down to contract structure. Perfect example is Juju. The announcement was “Juju signs 1 year deal worth $10.75 million” and tons of posters here started bleeding everywhere.

Then the structure came out and we only pay him a cap number of $2.89 million with lots of incentives that if met means we get a damn good player.

Veach can “pay” OBJ Jr the highest contract “on paper”. I bet most of it will be gauranteed up front with a lot of that money backloaded.

That’s why it’s always best to see what the cap hits will be year-by-year on these deals.
Actually, it really doesn't matter all that much.

At least 75% of deals of any length in the NFL are backloaded. It's easier to speak in AAV while still knowing that a deal will be a couple of million lighter on AAV over the first 4 of the 5 years. The surprises are the incentive loading of short-term deals like JSS.

Nuts and bolts of a 24+ AAV deal is that you're probably paying at least that per in the meat and taters of the deal.

If year 1 is 17, then year's 2, 3, and 4 are probably about 24-25, and year 5 is inflated to about 30. You still end up with 22.5 AAV over the first 4.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:53 PM 05-30-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
:-)
What's so funny? You just can't dispute anything I said. If Remmers doesn't get beat and just keeps his guy on the outside, then Mahomes has a perfect pocket to step up into.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:58 AM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
What's so funny? You just can't dispute anything I said. If Remmers doesn't get beat and just keeps his guy on the outside, then Mahomes has a perfect pocket to step up into.
Yes, yes he can. Watch it again. I've freeze-framed it for you at the 2-second mark. OBJ getting roasted. Dupree's inside counter against Remmers is more of a bonus than anything.
Attached: no.PNG (380.4 KB) 
[Reply]
TEX 03:35 AM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Plenty of evidence has been offered to you but you refuse to see it. That's on you, not on someone else to keep providing evidence. Like I said earlier, you're incapable of objectivity here in order to prove your point, which happens to be wrong. That's what's funny.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:45 AM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
If OBJr. really was asking for something outlandish and NOT willing to work with the confines listed above, the Chiefs can always pivot to having him play on the franchise tag this year and try again next year or simply trade him next off-season for more draft capital.
My understanding of how it works is that the franchise tag can only be applied for two years in a row. But, you only receive compensation after year 1.

After the 1st year of tagging, you can trade and receive compensation. If a 2nd year of the tag is applied, you receive no compensation in the off season and the player is free to sign with whoever they desire.

I'm sure someone here 100% knows the answer about year 2 compensation.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:29 AM 05-31-2022
He's wants to be paid like he's the best but he isn't and will never be. Nobody expects Willie Roaf like play but he gets ran right around by everyone with a good speed rusher. He sucks.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 343
« First < 131920212223 242526273373123 > Last »
Up