ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Blindside block
SupDock 11:24 AM 12-06-2021

How is that a blindside block. He is clearly blocking in the direction the ball is moving and not parallel or backwards.

It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:38 PM 12-06-2021
I don't think that it should have been a foul based on the definition, but I see why they called it. Hitch probably would have gotten away with it if he didn't blow him up and instead just kind of got in the way.

But regardless, it was a glorious thing to see, and I hope he has no regrets.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 12:41 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
The last six years of Chiefs-Broncos summed up in one play.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:43 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I don’t think the play meets that definition
That play is the definition of a blindside block... including the coil up and launch. I enjoyed it, but in today's game that is a penalty.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:44 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Regardless of the rule, I think we can all agree that since we won it was worth the penalty to watch some stupid bronco get lit up.
Especially as dirty as the Donks had played all night...
[Reply]
kstater 12:49 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
My question is how do you block there then? Do you just not block?
Not loading up and launching in to the guy would be a start.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:53 PM 12-06-2021
If that's not legal, there are a whole lot of interior blocks that aren't legal. I'd certainly be hesitant to pull a guard.
[Reply]
DRU 12:54 PM 12-06-2021
Rules schmules. We all knew the instant we saw him loading up and waiting to blow him up that if he does it...ha, yup, he did it...that's going to get flagged and fined.

He could have just as easily made a block to accomplish the goal of the block without laying him out the way he did. Had he done that it wouldn't have been flagged. It just would have been a good play without the excitement of the hard hit.

That's what the league wants and we all know it (well, that's what they pretend they want.) Trying to play around with the exact definition and put subjective opinions behind the meaning does nothing but make us look...I don't even know what the word is. When it's obvious that somebody knows a thing, but they're still trying to argue against that thing using semantics. What's a word for that? Not ignorance, because you do know. Not dumb or stupid because again, you do know. I guess two-faced / hypocrite? Would we really not be complaining if they had laid out one of our guys like that?

What I find bad on the NFL's side is that they flag it, fine it, and then they'll use it to promote the game. Affecting games, taking money from players, and then using that money to advertise and generate a return for themselves using the player's cash. That's the part that's BS in all of this. They pretend they don't like it and want to change it, but they profit from it, they do it like it, and using it in said promotions is proof of it. That's another word I can't think of...
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:58 PM 12-06-2021
Loved it, knew immediately it was going to cost us 15 yards.

If he just stands there it's no penalty but then the Broncos get the laying image of Hitchens being flattened.

If he runs with the guy for a couple yards and uses his hands to push him over there's no penalty but not nearly as cool.
[Reply]
loochy 12:59 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by kstater:
Not loading up and launching in to the guy would be a start.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Maybe they should have stopped and had a nice talk.

"Dear Sir, please refrain from pursuit of my ball carrying teammate. If you do not comply, I may be forced to block you."

"Ah yes, good chap, I shall discontinue at once. Your manners are greatly appreciated in this matter."

"Hip hip cheerio."
[Reply]
jettio 01:03 PM 12-06-2021
Hitchens belt buckle is facing the end zone the Chiefs are defending so it is a penalty.

Thornhill should get a thank you letter from the charity that Hitchens fine will donated to. It was a bad decision to keep that return going. Chiefs are fortunate that nobody got hurt on the play. Thornhill cost the team 20 yards of field position and set Hitchens up for a fine.

Of course, if Hitchens was trying to just keep the guy from making a tackle, he could have made a block that would not draw a penalty.

If Hitchens offered the guy a snack, the guy would have given up on chasing Thornhill.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:08 PM 12-06-2021
You should be using your hands to block not launching into players
[Reply]
Warrick 01:09 PM 12-06-2021
So let that fat slob possibly get a hit on Thornhill or have him land on his leg after the play is over? No f*ck that... Put that donkey down! I'll take that penalty everyday, it pumps up the defense, not to mention protects your player. Like others have said... F*ck the Donkeys... It was perfectly legal in my book!
[Reply]
SupDock 01:11 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by jettio:
Hitchens belt buckle is facing the end zone the Chiefs are defending so it is a penalty.

Thornhill should get a thank you letter from the charity that Hitchens fine will donated to. It was a bad decision to keep that return going. Chiefs are fortunate that nobody got hurt on the play. Thornhill cost the team 20 yards of field position and set Hitchens up for a fine.

Of course, if Hitchens was trying to just keep the guy from making a tackle, he could have made a block that would not draw a penalty.
His belt buckle? So if he uses the other shoulder it’s legal?

As for launching, that is a crack back block, and I think you can
Maybe make an argument there, although I believe you have to have both feet off the ground there.

Like I was saying, if that angle is an issue, then there are a lot of blocks during the game that would meet the definition of a blindside block

Based on the definition from NFL, the angle of the blocking players path in regards to your own end zone is the key part of a blindside block.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:14 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
You should be using your hands to block not launching into players
I don’t disagree, but that’s a crack back block, not a blind side block.

illegally launching into him. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 9.)

I’m not sure it meets the definition. He leaves his feet after contact.
I also thought that a crackback block was close to the line of scrimmage
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:14 PM 12-06-2021
Its a penalty all day. People want the old football back but those days are gone. Smart people will see blocks like this and not let their kids play football.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up