ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:23 AM 12-07-2021
The media reaction is hilarious. As if every great qb hasn’t had rough stretches. If I had a nickel for every time rodgers was supposed to be washed. And that was when the packers were losing
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:41 AM 12-07-2021
Andys refusal to run the ball is nuts. That's what we should be doing against cover 2.
[Reply]
morphius 06:44 AM 12-07-2021
Mahomes has always asked for plays quickly (well after his first few games when they were getting him the plays late), I have seen a few posts pointing it out this year, but not sure why people think it is unusual.

I'm not really going to put much into the play calling this week, I expect they felt they had the game in hand the way things were going and didn't want to give up much of what they could do against the Broncos since we have to turn back around and play them again in another couple weeks. I feel like I've seen Andy do this before here.
[Reply]
O.city 08:38 AM 12-07-2021
There are guys open or atleast there seems to be from my seat.

I dunno. Maybe I'm being too critical. But the big 3 just aren't playing well across the board.

Mahomes has been spotty, Kelce is dropping balls and Hill is playing volleyball.
[Reply]
nychief 09:02 AM 12-07-2021
I just think the rhythm is terrible... we stall out far too often, granted it is normally a dropped pass or some bad outlet pass to the flat, but it just seems like the run and the passing aren't helping one another... the run isn't setting up the pass nor the other way around - zero rhythm.... also we never take the Payton Manning/Tom Brady special shot down field and get the PI call... which i'm amazed by.
[Reply]
O.city 09:10 AM 12-07-2021
Pure speculation here

But the early turnovers and such have made Mahomes gunshy.
[Reply]
-King- 09:37 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Pure speculation here

But the early turnovers and such have made Mahomes gunshy.
We also don't run any plays to get him or the offense back in rhythm. There are no slants, screens, drags or any simple play to get them back on track. So shit just starts compiling and they keep pressing.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:41 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
There are no slants, screens, drags or any simple play to get them back on track.
did you even watch the last fucking game?

the first two drives ALONE had multiple drags and screens

later reek dropped a slant

chief fan is a fucking moron this week
[Reply]
tredadda 09:43 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Andys refusal to run the ball is nuts. That's what we should be doing against cover 2.
Andy has never been a run heavy HC even with lesser QBs. No way he starts now with the greatest QB he has ever coached.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:15 AM 12-07-2021
If we didn't drop the ball 5 or 6 times I don't think there is even a discussion on the play calling.

Here is what I heard on the radio this morning:

Chiefs can't win the AFCCG with this offense...
The offensive line is good
Mahomes has gotten a lot better
Skill players are not good

That's called overthinking. Just catch the fucking ball and suddenly it's all a lot different
[Reply]
Molitoth 10:26 AM 12-07-2021
I'd love for Biemeny to just get another job so Mahomes can take over playcalling at the LoS.

We don't need an OC. Andy/Pat can run the ship.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:35 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Just catch the fucking ball and suddenly it's all a lot different
Sad when Pete gets it and Chief fan doesn't.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:36 AM 12-07-2021
Not so much playcalling, but play design:

What the fuck is this? Whatever this is was never going to work. Why the rolling pocket?

You only have one realistic option on this play and it's the receiver coming over the middle - but your rolling pocket is bringing the defenders with him.

Makes no sense.

Sometimes ��*♂️��*♂️ pic.twitter.com/LOxXZz28nI

— Matt Lane (@ChiefinCarolina) December 7, 2021

[Reply]
penguinz 10:37 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
did you even watch the last ****ing game?

the first two drives ALONE had multiple drags and screens

later reek dropped a slant

chief fans are ****ing morons.
FYP
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:41 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Not so much playcalling, but play design:

What the fuck is this? Whatever this is was never going to work. Why the rolling pocket?

You only have one realistic option on this play and it's the receiver coming over the middle - but your rolling pocket is bringing the defenders with him.

Makes no sense.

I mean, dude was open. Mahomes has to hit him in the hole. Instead he tries to side arm the ball between two defenders instead of just attempting a normal pass.

It's a combination of:

1. Mahomes is off. His accuracy is off. His decision making is off. He's not running like he use to, he's not creating in the pocket like he use to, he's missing wide open layups.

2. When Mahomes does get it there, the receivers are dropping it. Even worse, they're causing turnovers.

3. Our run game is boring. It's unimaginitive. It's zone run left or zone run right. MAYBE once a game they'll have Hardman or Hill run a speed sweep.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Up