ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:45 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Yep. They keep calling those fucking plays where the receivers drop it.

You dumbass.
They dropped passes every year, never mattered until this one. Call me names if you want, that is the truth and more reliable than you keeping your word.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 06:47 PM 12-06-2021
Good lord. This is stupid every time it's brought up. Fuck...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:47 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
They dropped passes every year, never mattered until this one. Call me names if you want, that is the truth and more reliable than you keeping your word.
They didn't drop them at this rate. PERIOD.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 06:51 PM 12-06-2021
Some on here naively think we would score on every single possession and be shattering records if not for those pesky drops, which are a problem.

But that train of thought is completely ignoring Mahomes' inaccuracy, poor decision making, happy feet, eyes dropping at the first sign of pressure.

It's also completely ignoring the terrible scheme and playcalling that inexplicably abandons what's working after the first 15 plays.

Drops are a big problem, maybe the biggest problem. But this offense is a total team failure right now. From the coaches, to the QB, to the linemen to the pass catchers. Plenty of blame to go around.
[Reply]
Skyy God 06:57 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Do we have it confirmed from anyone that EB is calling the plays? And if he is, the drop in production doesn’t bode well speaking to the next team wanting him as a new head coach.

Is it Andy scripting those first 15 and then EB takes over? Nothing confirmed? Correct?
Sure seems that way
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 07:04 PM 12-06-2021
Playcalling? Nah..... Execution for sure
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:07 PM 12-06-2021
Chiefs score at LEAST 30 points if they catch their fucking passes last night. Nimrods.
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:08 PM 12-06-2021
Mahomes said today on 610- it was a heat of the battle thing. He loves EB and vice versa.

Mahomes is taking shit for the entire offense sucking. I am sure that is taxing, since it is his reputation that is getting drug through the mud- but, that is what leaders do.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:37 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Mahomes said today on 610- it was a heat of the battle thing. He loves EB and vice versa.

Mahomes is taking shit for the entire offense sucking. I am sure that is taxing, since it is his reputation that is getting drug through the mud- but, that is what leaders do.
the dude doesn’t trash people in public. Or usually doesn’t even insinuate anything. Never heard of him doing anything in private either. Lots of players have left for other teams, not a single word about Mahomes in the locker room lighting people up. So we can assume that’s not his style in there too.

Sure heat of the moment stuff happens. These are competitive alpha dogs or they wouldn’t be playing in the NFL. But, all that said, it was unique. Maybe it’s something, maybe not.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 07:41 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
zing...and well played
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:10 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
We run the ball about 25 times/gm - about dead average. On a percentage basis we're near the bottom (Bucs, Chargers and Jets run less frequently from% than we do) but if you give us a league average run rate we run the ball about 4 more times/gm.

We're still hand-wringing over this?

This is just a non-issue.
Pretty much all I’m worried about is not throwing the ball to the backs. I’d rather see that then more runs.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:47 PM 12-06-2021
Whoever is not calling the jet sweeps… start calling them again.
[Reply]
oldman 12:18 AM 12-07-2021
We're not getting many delay of game penalties except when PMII starts audibling so the plays must be coming in on time. Andy seems to be working the gum pretty hard when they cut to the sidelines, so either he calls the plays quick or EB is. When they do cut to EB, he seems to be taking notes rather than calling the plays. Could the plays be coming in from the booth?
[Reply]
bevischief 03:31 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
The running game is working and they decide to stop running the ball. Why? Pure stupid to throw it so much when clearly we can't this season.
This
[Reply]
Chiefs=Champions 04:10 AM 12-07-2021
I believe historically Andy has called the plays and related them to the oc who then has related them to the Qb.

Can be a bit inefficient and I'm sure at times it gets a little frustrating when you inevitably have communication issues between Andy and EB before relaying the plays to Pat. It happens, it just is compounded by the situation the offense is in at the moment.

Its confusing just typing that shit out. Must be grating on Pat.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up