ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:33 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
It is speculation no doubt. It's just something being thrown out there. Regardless this offense isn't playing at the elite level we have all expected outside of the usual first 15 or so scripted plays.
The biggest issue is our lack of a #2 WR because it allows teams to play shell coverage, keep linebackers back to avoid getting burned by our RPO game, and bracket Hill/Kelce back and forth.

This then forces us to be patient and run the ball, throw short passes. Throwing short passes to Hill can work but it's not ideal.

And then Mahomes/Reid both are addicted to explosive play offense and both do silly things in terms of playcalling, QB play when they are forced out of their comfort zones for extended times.

The longer drives needed also result in players making more mistakes and you see Hill and Kelce dropping more than they should, players careless and fumbling, or lineman taking penalties and our offense can't recover because we don't have the same options we did when we had too many guys to cover.

So it's lots of things that feed on each other.

We need to do lots of little things better to get out of this.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:35 AM 12-06-2021
I shudder to think what Bellichek would come up with to shut us down in the playoffs.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:37 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I shudder to think what Bellichek would come up with to shut us down in the playoffs.
Nothing to come up with. Book is already out.

Keep safeties deep and linebackers back for RPO.

Make KC sustain and execute over and over.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:45 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
As I previously posted, drops and penalties never hurt this offense before. Why now? What has changed? This is the same offense that could score 28 points in a quarter. Now they are lucky to get that in a game.
We were not routinely dropping six fucking passes.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 09:51 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
They have a rookie QB. If we shut down their running game, Belichick will worry about his QB making mistakes under pressure. May end up a low scoring game.
[Reply]
treeguy27 09:52 AM 12-06-2021
I saw Mahomes jawing at someone after coming off the field, the camera angle didn't really show who though. I don't think you can blame the wind for 10-15 yard passes being off the mark. Deep shots, probably so, but we didn't have any of those. Mahomes is just off by a little and frustrated with the drops and the offense not clicking. He's pressing and a little uncertain right now. The first drive was great, everything was clicking. It seems like as soon as a drop or one bad play happens everyone gets tight and starts second guessing everything. It would be nice to put together one good offensive game to get the confidence and swagger back.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:53 AM 12-06-2021
Pringle dropped 2 passes that hit him square in the hands
Reek dropped tipped up one in the air which admittedly was high and hot but catchable

That's 3 things right there that made our O look soft

Not to mention the other drops.

Bad passes will happen. They happen every game. Drops will happen and they happen every game.

Our problem is there is too much of it. One drop, fine. 5 drops, not so fine.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:56 AM 12-06-2021
I thought the play calling was fine last night. We were actually pretty balanced with 29 passes and 20 runs.

Marty could not have been more happy with that game.
[Reply]
-King- 09:57 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
We were not routinely dropping six fucking passes.
It doesn't matter. Drops didn't kill the offense. They do now. Any negative play kills the drive. Stuffed run? Drive dead. Penalty? Drive dead. Dropped pass? Drive dead? Tipped pass? Picked off.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 10:00 AM 12-06-2021
I think Bieniemy is calling the plays in preparation for taking over the reins after Andy. Reid's health is poor and his family issues have taken a toll. The struggles we have seen on offense this year are a byproduct.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:05 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
I think Bieniemy is calling the plays in preparation for taking over the reins after Andy. Reid's health is poor and his family issues have taken a toll. The struggles we have seen on offense this year are a byproduct.
If Reid has to retire we should do a coaching search. Not just promote from within.

We have a generational QB and all the best playcallers in the world would want this job.

Sean Payton would be ideal if there was an out in his contract from a football perspective but I don't know if Mahomes would match up with his personality.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:09 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
It doesn't matter. Drops didn't kill the offense. They do now. Any negative play kills the drive. Stuffed run? Drive dead. Penalty? Drive dead. Dropped pass? Drive dead? Tipped pass? Picked off.
Let's look at that for a second, Ted...

First drive...

14 plays, 82 yards TD....had 2 incomplete passes and a 10 yard penalty

Second drive:

9 plays, 42 yards FG...had 3 incompletes and the terrible -7 yard pass that was the drive killer...still got points

Third drive:

6 plays, 16 yards, Punt...

Had 2 incomplete passes, one being the Kelce challenged play which was just a good defensive play...it happens

Fourth drive..

Meaninglss as we were deep in our own end and running clock out to end the half

Second half we punted twice, one was a drive that had a BS holding call

The other punt was after the Denver TD and we were up by 13 with under 5 min to go so we just ran clock and also got the bullshit false start call on Mahomes.

In other words we didn't play as bad as we looked but the dropped passes were the killers along with a terrible play by Mahomes when he dropped way to far and through a pass for a7 yard loss.

Denver is a good defense as well, things don't always come easy against them.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:11 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
It doesn't matter. Drops didn't kill the offense. They do now
BECAUSE THERE WASN'T SIX OF THEM!
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:14 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Let's look at that for a second, Ted...

First drive...

14 plays, 82 yards TD....had 2 incomplete passes and a 10 yard penalty

Second drive:

9 plays, 42 yards FG...had 3 incompletes and the terrible -7 yard pass that was the drive killer...still got points

Third drive:

6 plays, 16 yards, Punt...

Had 2 incomplete passes, one being the Kelce challenged play which was just a good defensive play...it happens

Fourth drive..

Meaninglss as we were deep in our own end and running clock out to end the half

Second half we punted twice, one was a drive that had a BS holding call

The other punt was after the Denver TD and we were up by 13 with under 5 min to go so we just ran clock and also got the bullshit false start call on Mahomes.

In other words we didn't play as bad as we looked but the dropped passes were the killers along with a terrible play by Mahomes when he dropped way to far and through a pass for a7 yard loss.

Denver is a good defense as well, things don't always come easy against them.
Yeah, not only the dropped passes but the gamescript never allowed us to open up at the end because our D had them shut down.

People attacking Mahomes for last night are going overboard.

I do still feel a little sick in my stomach watching our offense but that has been a recurring theme this year.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:15 AM 12-06-2021
I've suspected it for weeks. Often when they pan to the sideline Reid isnt looking at his sheet, and Bienemy is. I think Reid is trying to get the guy a job, but in reality hurting his stock.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up