ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
O.city 08:59 AM 12-06-2021
If they gave control like that to Bienemy, it's coaching malpractice and someone should answer for it.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:01 AM 12-06-2021
There is definitely something going on.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:02 AM 12-06-2021
There’s apparently a video of Mahomes and Beinemy jawing at each other last night. Anyone have it?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:02 AM 12-06-2021
I had no idea why we weren't hitting shots downfield last night when Denver was playing 1 high.

We finally got the looks we wanted and we refused to knock them out.

Reid did have some nice play calls to break the shell though.

Just weird.
[Reply]
O.city 09:03 AM 12-06-2021
Looked to me like Denver played the typical 2 high match they always play against us.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:04 AM 12-06-2021
The playcalling is really, really good.

Drops. Inaccurate passes. Penalties.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:04 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Looked to me like Denver played the typical 2 high match they always play against us.
I stopped caring in the 2nd half but they were playing lots of 1 high in the 1st half and we did jack with it.
[Reply]
notorious 09:08 AM 12-06-2021
35-45 mph wind can affect the flight of a football.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:09 AM 12-06-2021
Do we miss Slammin Sammy Watkins?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:10 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
35-45 mph wind can affect the flight of a football.
Is that what it was last night? I thought they were lighter than that...
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:10 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Do we miss Slammin Sammy Watkins?
Healthy Sammy, absolutely.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:10 AM 12-06-2021
I don't have much of an issue with the play-calling.

Guys are open out there; our problems are mostly due to execution. Dropped passes, drive-stalling penalties, tipped INTs, fumbles, Mahomes bailing from clean pockets, Mahomes throwing errant passes, Mahomes trying to force things, etc.

Someone said it elsewhere last night, but it is encouraging that we are still winning these games right now even without looking right. The only complete game we played all season was @LV and yet here we are at 8-4, 1st place in the division and with the #1 seed not out of reach. If we're able to put this thing all together at the right time, we can win another Super Bowl.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:11 AM 12-06-2021
Mahomes has gotten after Reid for slow playcalls his entire career. It’s amazing how we went from having 1-2 killer delay of games a game with Alex/Andy to having them eliminated entirely. Waiting on the play seems to piss off Mahomes as much as anything.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:12 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I don't have much of an issue with the play-calling.

Guys are open out there; our problems are mostly due to execution. Dropped passes, drive-stalling penalties, tipped INTs, fumbles, Mahomes bailing from clean pockets, Mahomes throwing errant passes, Mahomes trying to force things, etc.

Someone said it elsewhere last night, but it is encouraging that we are still winning these games right now even without looking right. The only complete game we played all season was @LV and yet here we are at 8-4, 1st place in the division and with the #1 seed not out of reach. If we're able to put this thing all together at the right time, we can win another Super Bowl.
I'm not so concerned about winning a Super Bowl right now as being sharp enough to beat down the Chargers.

If our offense plays like last night we lose.

We need to get the offense going in 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Up