ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Non call on the facemask
tooge 12:12 PM 12-06-2021
I don't have the video, but the play where the Chiefs player was held up in a crowd of donk defenders and one of them literally had his hand on his facemask pushing back and up for a solid 5 seconds or so. No flag. Was there a reason for no call or just missed? I didn't really hear the announcers make much of it either.
[Reply]
Hydrae 02:17 PM 12-06-2021
I want to know what is up with all the tackles around the head. Kelce in particular gets taken down by the tackler basically wrapping his arm around Kelce's neck and spinning him to the ground. I have seen it with other tackles, not just Kelce but there are some games where it seems like the preferred way to bring him down. Is this going to continue to be allowed until a player gets his neck broken on the field?
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 02:31 PM 12-06-2021
I can't recall it exactly, but I don't think they call it if the hands are just pushing the helmet/facemask. Doesn't it have to be a hold or similar to the actual facemask to be a penalty?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:42 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
I dont want those to be called PI tho. It didn't affect his ability to make the catch. I'd rather there be fewer of the deep pass attempt PI calls.
Agreed. That would've been a pure bail-out call.

What I really don't understand is how he was left in a 1v1 situation (gotta think the deep help bit on an underneath route), but if you start throwing flags on plays like that, it's going to be a PI on virtually any throw downfield. These guys hand-fight on every play and if it doesn't impede the catch, there shouldn't be a call.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:28 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania:
I can't recall it exactly, but I don't think they call it if the hands are just pushing the helmet/facemask. Doesn't it have to be a hold or similar to the actual facemask to be a penalty?
That's where I'm at. I think if this play is a penalty, then every stiff arm should be a penalty on the offensive player. I may howl a little mid-game, but with the wisdom of another 24 hours I wouldn't want this called under the current rules.

That said, I'm really surprised that stiff arms aren't penalties. I guess I don't remember anyone ever being hurt by a stiff arm, so maybe it's a good thing that they aren't. But given that pretty much every other hands-to-the-face situation is a penalty, I'm surprised that runners are still allowed to hit tacklers in the face.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:29 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
I want to know what is up with all the tackles around the head. Kelce in particular gets taken down by the tackler basically wrapping his arm around Kelce's neck and spinning him to the ground. I have seen it with other tackles, not just Kelce but there are some games where it seems like the preferred way to bring him down. Is this going to continue to be allowed until a player gets his neck broken on the field?
I was noticing that a lot with Kelce yesterday. Is that how the broncos safeties typically tackle? Was there something in the positioning that kept randomly enforcing it? Whatever the reason, Kelce had arms around his neck every time he touched the ball, it seemed.
[Reply]
morphius 06:36 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I was noticing that a lot with Kelce yesterday. Is that how the broncos safeties typically tackle? Was there something in the positioning that kept randomly enforcing it? Whatever the reason, Kelce had arms around his neck every time he touched the ball, it seemed.
They seemed to be trying to get in a lot of cheap shots last weekend, guess their meeting fired them up and when they realized they still suck more that was all they had left.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:54 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Worthy of a 50 yard penalty? Besides Jones was grabbing at the defender too. There's always hand fighting. Jersey pulls almost always get called but unless they actually hindered the receiver's ability to make the catch I don't like it.
No, NFL needs to change the DPI rule to a 15 yard penalty. Won't happen though. NFL refs use DPI and defensive holding to change games by selectively calling it.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:36 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
NFL officiating is horrifically bad.

No flag on this play for instance from Raiders game yesterday for facemask, but they did call Crosby for roughing, see 2nd pic below.

But then they called roughing for "landing" on the QB on Crosby in the left side below, but no flag on the Washington player on the right for literally belly flopping on Carr.

Crosby is a dirty fuck.
[Reply]
morphius 07:44 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
No, NFL needs to change the DPI rule to a 15 yard penalty. Won't happen though. NFL refs use DPI and defensive holding to change games by selectively calling it.
I'd be happy if they made it so that the defender didn't have to move out of the way to allow a catch, if the defender has position, he shouldn't have to move out of the way.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:06 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by morphius:
I'd be happy if they made it so that the defender didn't have to move out of the way to allow a catch, if the defender has position, he shouldn't have to move out of the way.
A defender doesn't have to move out of the way. The defender has just as much right to the ball as the offensive player.

In regards to PI being a spot foul, I don't really like that the refs can use it to set a team up for an easy score/win because of a judgement call. If the refs were remotely close to being consistent with their calls, then it wouldn't be as big of an issue. However, if OPI was just a 15 yard penalty, then I think you'd see a lot more of those penalties during a game, because if a defender gets toasted all they have to do is grab the guy. A 15 yard penalty is much better than a TD or 50 yard gain.

My biggest issue with penalties is that almost every single defensive penalty is an automatic 1st down. Refs use that shit to keep a game close way more than they do a DPI call. Why is it an automatic first down just because a defender touched a receiver after 5 yards on some 3rd and 15 play and most the time the QB didn't even look in the direction of the player that was held. When you add in the fact that you could call defensive holding on pretty much every pass, then it makes it being an automatic first down even more stupid.

Instead of having some stupid ass emphasis on watching for and penalizing taunting, maybe they should just put an emphasis on just making the right calls. The NFL needs to get their priorities straight if they think the most important thing the officials need look out for and to penalize is a dude for pointing his finger at an opponent or give a peace sign to the opponent. It's bad enough that the NFL is penalizing, fining, and potentially causing a team to lose a game because of a hand gesture, but then for the league to tell the officials to "put an emphasis" on flagging the shit just shows how out of touch the NFL is with it's fans right now.
[Reply]
morphius 09:34 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
A defender doesn't have to move out of the way. The defender has just as much right to the ball as the offensive player.
Well, there are a lot of penalties for PI where the offensive player tries to run through the defender to get back to a ball thrown short.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 10:36 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Ghost of Maslowski:
think that was against Hardman? looked like the Donks were trying to pull his head off

play is at 6:28

Oh motherfuck you Kareem Jackson. You a dirty ho!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:29 PM 12-08-2021
Check out this "low block" penalty they called on Abram.

Not a low block. pic.twitter.com/a7vaIKHCdw

— Levi Damien (@LeviDamien) December 7, 2021

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=uxbndlbing
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up