ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 26
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Defense thread***
BigRedChief 08:08 PM 09-21-2021
Discuss all things defense

When you're so bad at run defense you make it a legitimately good choice to run the ball at you consistently, that's pretty impressive(ly bad). https://t.co/hFnQIuLKqe

— Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) September 21, 2021

[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:45 PM 09-21-2021
I mean I like his fire, and he is still playing at a high level. Yet we haven’t resigned him, do you start to see the problem?
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:49 PM 09-21-2021
This defense is the scheme not the players. Jones only needs to be at DE when we face a passing team and kicked inside when teams run the ball. Gay needs to get back, tired of seeing Niemann and Sorensen
[Reply]
cdcox 12:04 AM 09-22-2021
Unleash Mahomes and I could care less how many rushing yards the losing team gains. This is entirely a problem created by throttling the offense by insisting on running some predetermined percentage of the game, no matter how ineffective it is.
[Reply]
UK_Chief 12:21 AM 09-22-2021
Lost the intensity and nastiness that we started seeing last year. The leaders on D need to get that back ASAP. HB, CJ etc…
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:22 AM 09-22-2021
Any low hanging fruit we can trade for or scoop off of practice squads
[Reply]
TEX 01:36 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
the defense needs it’s own thread. Tired of the defensive talk being spread out in 10 threads.

I’m not as down on the defense as most here. We looked like shit early in the season under Spags before. I hope it turns around like those seasons.
Never this bad. It's year 3.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:17 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
This defense is the scheme not the players. Jones only needs to be at DE when we face a passing team and kicked inside when teams run the ball. Gay needs to get back, tired of seeing Niemann and Sorensen
Think it's a bit of both. The scheme is focused on having run stuffers - Nnadi, Pennell and Jones in the interior served that purpose, Clark to some limited degree set the edge. Moving Jones hasn't helped, Reed has not been a good signing and Nnadi has looked surprisingly bad while Clark looks like a corpse. Saunders is fine but is a downgrade it seems, though I still think he'll improve and be useful, and it's just not what Wharton should be used for.

So along the DL we've shifted players out of their best position, brought in inferior talent, AND seen player regression which might be temporary or not.

But it's not just the DL. Bolton looks like he was brought in to be a thumper - I'm pretty hopeful he'll get there but he's being asked to do way too much by the DL. He just isn't athletic enough to cover. I'm the same as you though, hopeful of Gay's impact, because the talent pool looks very shallow at LB otherwise.

It's also coverage. I actually like the look of Hughes and at this point I think Veach deserves credit for this pick up. Ward has looked awful and Sneed being asked to do more looks like he's struggling to me. Sorensen I won't bother discussing.

Basically the DL has to get better. I think it will at DT but at DE realistically it looks like we'll be patching holes until we bring in new players through trade or the next draft.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 02:59 AM 09-22-2021
I don't understand why our dline seems to not fire off the ball. You watch literally any other team in the league and you see guys going off hard and fast. Our guys seem to just try to engage the blocker and go from there.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:26 AM 09-22-2021

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:31 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I don't understand why our dline seems to not fire off the ball. You watch literally any other team in the league and you see guys going off hard and fast. Our guys seem to just try to engage the blocker and go from there.
It's the "Because Mahomes" mindset, the majority of defensive corps has no urgency because they're relying on Patrick to bail them out.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:32 AM 09-22-2021
When it's this bad I don't think it's fair to blame just the players or just the scheme. It's both. I tend to always blame players more. They the ones playing not Spags..
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:07 AM 09-22-2021
It's not the scheme. Spags has 3 rings. Players are fucking up and are not living up to their contracts on the DL. Dan and Ben are a problem but no the biggest problem. DL has been shit and two of them are 100 mil guys.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 05:50 AM 09-22-2021
Move over Jason Voorhees, the _effense has returned.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 09-22-2021, 06:15 AM
This message has been deleted by Rainbarrel. Reason: Will be twisted wrong than meant
Dunerdr 07:34 AM 09-22-2021
This didnt happen prior to TLO and his girlfren mutually parting ways. Unless you count 2018.
[Reply]
-King- 07:47 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
It's not the scheme. Spags has 3 rings. Players are fucking up and are not living up to their contracts on the DL. Dan and Ben are a problem but no the biggest problem. DL has been shit and two of them are 100 mil guys.
Spags has had more terrible defenses than good ones in his career.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 26
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up