ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Nate Taylor's monologue on "Time's Ours" is worth repeating verbatim.
Direckshun 06:44 AM 07-16-2020
Not a great Chiefs podcast, but it does its job.

There was a great monologue by Chiefs reporter Nate Taylor, though, that really summarizes where we are, pretty inspirationally, below.

===============================

It is honestly just a remarkable turn of events, because let me just paint a picture for our listeners, and shout out to you guys for being along this kind of wild roller coaster of an offseason. Because it has not stopped, folks.

In 2017, the Chiefs were a relative contender. Like, relative. Like, they were fine, they were doing okay, they were managed by a decent general manager in John Dorsey. Their coach was obviously their best asset in Andy Reid. They had a Pro Bowl quarterback in Alex Smith. And in an offseason that was a remarkable shift, not only in philosophical ways, but in just how to launch themselves into being much more of a contender in the AFC...

Because of mismanagement of the cap and disorganization issues, John Dorsey was told on like a Tuesday, "hey bae, I love you, I'm witchu, but we just can't do this no more." Alex Smith, on like a Thursday, looked at his TV and was like "why are we trading up?" Andy Reid, on like a hot day in August, was like "okay, we here now." And on a mid-hot-summer day in July, Clark Hunt basically interviewed Brett Veach, and we've all been in this situation before, where you get the job interview, you are as prepared as you can be, your homeboy/mentor/whatever is just like "hey man, I got you suggested, I got you up for this," like "hey man, all you have to do is show up, answer some questions halfway decently and don't be a drunk." And basically the job is yours. And all you have to say is "I'm going to do some things slightly different than John Dorsey, and I've already proven that, Clark, because I basically told Andy Reid I will quit this job if you do not draft Patrick Mahomes." And guess where we are.

From where this team was in 2017 to now, is just... it is, I mean nobody saw it coming in the league. I will just remind people that, yes the Patriots dynasty was at some point either going to have to end or take a completely different turn -- shout out to Cam Newton. With that in mind, nobody saw that the Chiefs were going to become the envy of the league three years later. I know the league is very volatile, I know the league is primarily deep rooted in parity, and having teams rise and fall with each year rolling along. But the Chiefs have the QB. They have the Hall of Fame coach. They have no issues, outside of a pandemic.

Like, it's just... it's... Like I try to talk to people and they're just like "how are they so good at this?" And I mean legitimately. And it 's a question worth asking. How do they keep their entire coaching staff together, is a real question. How does Patrick Mahomes get all the money, but spreads it out in a way that most NFL agents would tell you "don't you ever do that young man!" How does a team be able to keep a top level passrusher, while also using the franchise tag, but in the most positive way possible, in a climate that you would never use a franchise tag in most ways, as it's just like a jail cell mostly, not like a "hey just be patient with me dog, just be patient, it's going to come." And essentially they gave him the money that Chris wanted.

I mean, Sammy Watkins should not be on this team, ladies and gentleman. I just want you to know that. He should not be on this team. And if [his co-podcaster] Seth is willing to die on the Chris Jones Hill, I was one of the first reporters to say "I don't know, guys, I think Sammy Watkins is coming back." I was at the Combine, and people were like "are you nuts?" And I'm like "I think he's coming back." And they're like "get out of here!" Then three weeks later, it's just like, "wait what'd you know." And I was like "hey man, you know, we're in strange times, 2020, who the hell knows."

All these dominoes were not supposed to fall the Chiefs way, and they have, and the biggest one yet moving forward is "can we have a season? Can we have any season whatsoever?" I don't know, we'll think about and discuss that in the future.

But like as I wrote towards the end of my story, not only do the Chiefs have harmony, not only are the Chiefs accomplishing more than they have in about three years than they have done in fifty years, but they are in a position where they might have the most advantage if we actually have a season, because everybody is on one accord. And that is so strange, when you have 53 guys who are putting their bodies on the line (for financial gain), but also a coaching staff that needs its own sort of importance and feel to it, an owner who is willing to shell out $200m in guaranteed-ness, during a pandemic of all times.

Like, they have no issues starting the season, and that is wild. Because most NFL teams have some level of issues, or there's a subplot that can obviously be distracting, or there's a level of "hey you gotta handle this" as the season goes along. All the Chiefs have to do is hopefully stay healthy both on and off the field, and they should be one of the biggest contenders. I still believe the Baltimore Ravens are chasing them down, and it's not like... they're in the rearview mirror.

But... I almost want to believe Chris Jones now when he told us back after the Super Bowl, that the Chiefs can become the Golden State Warriors, and I feel like the Chiefs are as close to the Warriors in the NFL context of 2020 as you possibly be.
[Reply]
eDave 12:47 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Is this true? I will remove it if need be, but I love that gif. It accurately reflects my exuberance at being a fan of the modern-era Chiefs.
When stevieray met them, he indicated they were uncomfortable (for lack of a better term) about it. I love it too but stopped posting it when I heard that. Though I may be overly interpreting things.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:47 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
The ladies in that gif would prefer it not posted.
That's really sad. It's one of the most wonderful things ever and perfectly encapsulated my exact feelings at that moment. It is wonderful, they are wonderful.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 12:50 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
The ladies in that gif would prefer it not posted.
What about these guys?

[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:51 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
What about these guys?

Those dudes knew we just drafted the linchpin of our 2020 Super Bowl winning team and there's no convincing me otherwise.
[Reply]
eDave 12:52 PM 07-16-2020
What about these guys?

Those guys do not appear to have much of anything else going for them. Love this one so much.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:54 PM 07-16-2020
What about these guys?

Those guys prefer you post the edited version with the knife.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:55 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Those dudes knew we just drafted the linchpin of our 2020 Super Bowl winning team and there's no convincing me otherwise.
Well, we did. Undefeated last season when he started.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:58 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Well, we did. Undefeated last season when he started.
Hell yeah. Favorite "trivia" stat of the season.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:59 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Don't give a shit. These dudes know less than cp members
Analysis-wise I agree with you. But Nate Taylor is inside the locker room - so he gives some good info that you can't get on CP.

Same goes for those other shows when they have Matt Derrick on.

Also they know the salary cap, deadlines, contracts, etc. inside and out. I always learn a lot when they get into that nitty gritty.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:56 PM 07-16-2020
Nate Taylor is hard on the ears.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:58 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

She makes me hard.
[Reply]
scho63 02:07 PM 07-16-2020
She's daughter of Puppet lady
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:21 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
She's daughter of Puppet lady
Yup. Pretty much perfect.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:36 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Dayze:
those chicks in that gif never get old :-)

let out the first F Yes
...big breath inhale

F YES!!!!
got to meet them and their mom (Fighting puppet lady) at the tailgate in Jacksonville. They were calm and very laid back.
Attached: A0BBD798-CA72-4F45-BAFE-A98645B8BC9E.jpg (78.2 KB) 
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:43 PM 07-16-2020

You can basically watch the girls grow up on this (starting at 1:25) - which is the only reason we have that super high-quality gif (and that they happened to be filming out epic comeback vs. HOU).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up