ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3744 of 3903
« First < 2744324436443694373437403741374237433744 3745374637473748375437943844 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 08:22 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
The vaccinated can carry and spread the virus.

at a reduced rate and if you are surrounded by other vaccinated people the spread can be reduced significantly hopefully to a point it never gets to higher risk demographic and even so if they are vaccinated the risk of severe illness and death is reduced . The vaccines work better if more people are vaccinated, any potential decrease in risk in one individual can become exponential as a whole.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 08:42 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
at a reduced rate and if you are surrounded by other vaccinated people the spread can be reduced significantly hopefully to a point it never gets to higher risk demographic and even so if they are vaccinated the risk of severe illness and death is reduced . The vaccines work better if more people are vaccinated, any potential decrease in risk in one individual can become exponential as a whole.
Reduced rate? Only data I have seen is the vaccinated viral load is just as high.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:49 AM 09-23-2021
Reduced rate? Only data I have seen is the vaccinated viral load is just as high.
For not as long , reducing the window (last I saw , might have changed)and again if the people around you are vaccinated they are less likely to get infected .
[Reply]
DaFace 08:52 AM 09-23-2021
While it's true that conclusions are still fuzzy, it's very hard to believe that would be true. It's a respiratory disease, which is spread by droplets. Logically, you would think that the people who are more seriously ill (coughing and sneezing) are more likely to spread it.

But even if you assume that an infected person who is vaccinated is equally as likely as an infected person who is not, you have to keep in mind that the vaccines are ~90% effective at preventing infection in the first place. I think that part gets lost in the discussion a lot.
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:07 AM 09-23-2021
I went back a couple pages but didn't see this posted:

Unreal.

https://defector.com/fake-vaccine-ca...m-for-the-nfl/

Originally Posted by :
There’s good reason to believe some number of NFL players have used fake vaccine cards, and teams’ protocols aren’t designed to catch them.

Fake CDC cards, often ordered online, are big business and growing, and two NFL agents who work for different agencies told Defector that players they represent asked them for help getting a fake vaccine card. (Both agents declined to do so.) One of those agents said that his client asked him about getting a fake card because a teammate of his had used one. “He was like, ‘Oh well my teammate’s got this fake card. Should I just do that?’” the agent said. “I’m like no! Just get vaccinated!”

This player was interested in getting a fake because he had just been placed on the COVID-19 reserve list for being a close contact. Two days after the conversation with his agent, the player got COVID himself.

Based on what that agent learned from his conversation with this player and others similarly shut down as close contacts in 2021, he estimates that 10–15 percent of players have a fake vaccine card. “I think it is a lot more common than people realize,” he said. “Look, you’re talking about the NFL. These guys do anything they can to fudge a weed test or a PED test.”

A third NFL agent told Defector that he hadn’t directly heard of any players using fakes but assumed it was probably happening. We spoke in the morning and that same night, the agent texted me back with an update: “Was told by a player tonight that a big-name guy on his team has a fake card.

I think the NFL was just asking for the paper version which is just laugh out loud funny. What? Everyone has a QR code. Just...require that. The NFL acting like a bouncer at an 18 and over bar glancing at IDs from Hawaii named McLovin or Muhammad is just hilarious.

This would explain the frequency of "breakthrough cases"
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:20 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
While it's true that conclusions are still fuzzy, it's very hard to believe that would be true. It's a respiratory disease, which is spread by droplets. Logically, you would think that the people who are more seriously ill (coughing and sneezing) are more likely to spread it.

But even if you assume that an infected person who is vaccinated is equally as likely as an infected person who is not, you have to keep in mind that the vaccines are ~90% effective at preventing infection in the first place. I think that part gets lost in the discussion a lot.
Vaccinated, last I saw, did have a similar viral load to unvaxxed with Delta.

However, the period of time a person is contagious is shorter for the vaxxed, about half if I recall correctly.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 09:33 AM 09-23-2021

Are they 90% at preventing infection with Delta? How long does that 90% immunity last? Last I heard was the US was not tracking break through infections other than hospitalization.

The data that is available from Israel doesn't seem to look very good. I think everybody can agree that the vaccine helps prevent serious illness.

But it is a giant leap to force people to get vaccinated claiming it is too prevent the spread of this virus.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:51 AM 09-23-2021
Are they 90% at preventing infection with Delta? How long does that 90% immunity last? Last I heard was the US was not tracking break through infections other than hospitalization.

The data that is available from Israel doesn't seem to look very good. I think everybody can agree that the vaccine helps prevent serious illness.

But it is a giant leap to force people to get vaccinated claiming it is too prevent the spread of this virus.
Israel data is skewed by the older group, which had a high breakthrough infection rate. Younger group was still in that 90% range.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 09:58 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Israel data is skewed by the older group, which had a high breakthrough infection rate. Younger group was still in that 90% range.
So we should lock down old people to prevent the spread of the virus? :-)
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:05 AM 09-23-2021
Or just send infected patients back to nursing homes.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:06 AM 09-23-2021
because the vaccine has proven to reduce severe illness and death in all age groups that might not be necessary if people get vaccinated.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 10:24 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
because the vaccine has proven to reduce severe illness and death in all age groups that might not be necessary if people get vaccinated.
Might not be necessary? Jesus how far are we going to go with this? For a illness with over a 99% survival rate before the vaccine.

If your high risk get the vaccine and protect yourself. This virus isn't going away no matter how many people get vaccinated in the US.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:30 AM 09-23-2021
Might not be necessary? Jesus how far are we going to go with this? For a illness with over a 99% survival rate before the vaccine.

If your high risk get the vaccine and protect yourself. This virus isn't going away no matter how many people get vaccinated in the US.
I'll never understand why 99% survival rate is an argument for anything. If 1% of the country died, that would be around 3.5 million people. Or to frame it a little differently, if 1% of people in Arrowhead stadium died, that would be around 760 people. One percent is NOT A SMALL NUMBER.

I just don't understand how anyone can look at the ~700k deaths from this thing and think, "This is fine. Let's keep this up."
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:33 AM 09-23-2021
I'll never understand why 99% survival rate is an argument for anything. If 1% of the country died, that would be around 3.5 million people. Or to frame it a little differently, if 1% of people in Arrowhead stadium died, that would be around 760 people. One percent is NOT A SMALL NUMBER.

I just don't understand how anyone can look at the ~700k deaths from this thing and think, "This is fine. Let's keep this up."
It is the lack of comprehension of numbers on that scale.
[Reply]
Katipan 10:38 AM 09-23-2021
They do not care.

Frame it in prose all you want, but they do not care.
If it doesn't touch them, it's someone else's problem.

It's some of the most vile thought patterns ever used here and we used to call each other sacks of santorum.
[Reply]
Page 3744 of 3903
« First < 2744324436443694373437403741374237433744 3745374637473748375437943844 > Last »
Up