ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 26
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Defense thread***
BigRedChief 08:08 PM 09-21-2021
Discuss all things defense

When you're so bad at run defense you make it a legitimately good choice to run the ball at you consistently, that's pretty impressive(ly bad). https://t.co/hFnQIuLKqe

— Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) September 21, 2021

[Reply]
-King- 09:56 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
For good reason.
Not really it's just mental gymnastics to credit Veach and discredit Dorsey.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:05 PM 09-26-2021
how about some clarification? What is this biggest indictment for? What’s the punishment if found guilty by a jury of peers?

That draft sucked ass. Punishment should be having staylor26 latched to your cock.

I suppose you loved that draft. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:06 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Not really it's just mental gymnastics to credit Veach and discredit Dorsey.
Unfortunately, that inability to appreciate the nuance is what leads to so many overreactions in the first place.

Veach becomes the GM and the Chiefs have success that first year= Veach is a God among men and should receive all credit for every success and no criticism for any failure. This leads to people overvaluing trades for players like Clark, which was a significant outlay of draft capital for the right to pay someone a big salary, and assuming that players like Edwards-Helaire and Hardman are plug-and-play All Pros.

It's no different than people treating Chris Jones like he's the greatest pass rusher of all-time in 2018 when he was simultaneously a massive liability against the run.

When things are going well everything and everyone is a GOAT. When a few bad weeks hit, the team is full of JAGs and the GM is a fraud. The truth is always between the poles.

Dorsey's significant errors in roster construction were overlooked while wins were coming in, but it doesn't mean they weren't present. As soon as he left, his scouts get all the credit for player selections that hit, and he gets all of the blame for the busts.

Pioli decided to use Semtex instead of concrete for the foundation of his teams, but the first two years were just "Pioli!"

It's always happened here. Probably happens everywhere else, too. I guess it's just the nature of sports fandom.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:07 PM 09-26-2021
I’m watching these safeties on Green Bay and San Fran tonight. Sorenson looks like a high school player compared to every safety playing in that game.

Who signed him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
bringbackmarty 10:38 PM 09-26-2021
Chiefs defense is so thin they signed Anna Kendrick to wear handcuffs and play nosetackle.
[Reply]
bringbackmarty 10:43 PM 09-26-2021
Chiefs' corners are so bad at coverage they recently upgraded to 3G to avoid roaming charges.
[Reply]
bringbackmarty 10:52 PM 09-26-2021
There's no overreaction, we have nobody on defense besides our declining superstars. The spags and the scheme are awful. There is no money available to fix the problem. We are paper thin on offense too. It's gonna be a lean few years or Mahomes will kill himself trying to win and that will cramp our style because of his salary. It's over. 500 million for the greatest qb ever only to Montana him, probably by age 29. He's brilliant but as good as dead.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:03 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Unfortunately, that inability to appreciate the nuance is what leads to so many overreactions in the first place.

Veach becomes the GM and the Chiefs have success that first year= Veach is a God among men and should receive all credit for every success and no criticism for any failure. This leads to people overvaluing trades for players like Clark, which was a significant outlay of draft capital for the right to pay someone a big salary, and assuming that players like Edwards-Helaire and Hardman are plug-and-play All Pros.

It's no different than people treating Chris Jones like he's the greatest pass rusher of all-time in 2018 when he was simultaneously a massive liability against the run.

When things are going well everything and everyone is a GOAT. When a few bad weeks hit, the team is full of JAGs and the GM is a fraud. The truth is always between the poles.

Dorsey's significant errors in roster construction were overlooked while wins were coming in, but it doesn't mean they weren't present. As soon as he left, his scouts get all the credit for player selections that hit, and he gets all of the blame for the busts.

Pioli decided to use Semtex instead of concrete for the foundation of his teams, but the first two years were just "Pioli!"

It's always happened here. Probably happens everywhere else, too. I guess it's just the nature of sports fandom.
Agree on most of this. I also think that there's stuff it's hard for him to control, like players taking a step backwards or not being played when they've looked better than the incumbents.

On the other hand he's effectively had 1st round picks of CEH, Brown and Clark, but without full rookie contracts. His signing of Reed and switch of Jones looks a big mistake. And after 4 drafts we've probably got value from Nnadi, a limited 3rd rounder who has started this year poorly.

It's always tough to know on drafts until a few years down the line, but you really would expect more impact at this point. I think a number of GMs have drafted better.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:14 AM 09-27-2021
Every week that Jones stays at DE is another week that Veach and Spags need punched in their fucking mouths at this point. Don't know which one of these retards is the catalyst for this but after Jones got caught with his dick in his hand game 2 the experiment should've been over. For the love of god, get Charlton back in here so we have someone else that can at least claim they're an NFL level DE
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:23 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Every week that Jones stays at DE is another week that Veach and Spags need punched in their ****ing mouths at this point. Don't know which one of these retards is the catalyst for this but after Jones got caught with his dick in his hand game 2 the experiment should've been over. For the love of god, get Charlton back in here so we have someone else that can at least claim they're an NFL level DE
Even when Chris Jones gets pressure at DE he's going around the defender instead of through him which just allows the QB to step up in the pocket and easily avoid him.

Rest of our dline sucks too. We get no push inside which is essential if you are going to have Chris Jones go around the offensive linemen when he is trying to get a sack at DE. It is also incredibly important when trying to stop the run.

Just unbelievable how bad this dline is w all the money spent on it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:33 AM 09-27-2021
Nnadi has never been known for his pass rushing prowess so I'll give him a bit of a pass at least on that front (what he's "supposedly" good at, not so much) but Jarran Reed is an abortion. Completely fucking worthless as an every down pass rusher and run stopper and I think this defense takes a massive step forward if you manage to land an actual NFL caliber DE and let Jones move back inside, with Nnadi and Reed rotating in and out based on situation. As for Clark, all we can do is pray to the football god's that he either returns to his usual JAG form instead of the literal worst DE in the NFL or the arraignment in October gives us an excuse to void the guarantees and cut his ass.
[Reply]
JPH83 05:18 AM 09-27-2021
Nnadi has never been known for his pass rushing prowess so I'll give him a bit of a pass at least on that front (what he's "supposedly" good at, not so much) but Jarran Reed is an abortion. Completely ****ing worthless as an every down pass rusher and run stopper and I think this defense takes a massive step forward if you manage to land an actual NFL caliber DE and let Jones move back inside, with Nnadi and Reed rotating in and out based on situation. As for Clark, all we can do is pray to the football god's that he either returns to his usual JAG form instead of the literal worst DE in the NFL or the arraignment in October gives us an excuse to void the guarantees and cut his ass.
I don't know if we get a DE this year or next, and I'm not going to be doom and gloom about the team after 3 games...but I AM confident in saying Reed is gone next year and he's doing nothing this year. We probably need him in rotation but if Nnadi gets over whatever niggle he has then he and Saunders are better and Wharton will be of more use on obvious passing downs.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:38 AM 09-27-2021
What the NFL learned over the last couple of weeks is that the Kansas City Chiefs are very beatable. This is a thread about the D, and the D has issues that can't be fixed quickly. The only thing that can change quickly (over night) are attitude and effort, so there's at least some hope there. And no, the Kansas City Chiefs are NOT going to all of a sudden be the team that get the DPI call that we saw on the last play, that's reserved for other teams/players of New York's choosing, so the players on this team better come to work with an enhanced attitude and ready to give more effort. Meanwhile the front office and coaches can do the same, in their own way. I'm sure Clark can provide the video of, and ask the question about why the officials decided to not call a DPI on the last play, and tell them all that they can answer the question in private, or he can get more creative.

But the truth is we have the speed we have, the have the muscle we have, we have the talent we have, the only thing that can change quickly are attitude and effort. Stop making excuses, taking blame that's not yours, giving credit to the other side, or any of the other stuff we're sick of hearing, just come out and, from owner to water-boy, be ready to dance with the devil in the pale moon light...
[Reply]
TEX 08:10 AM 09-27-2021
Every week that Jones stays at DE is another week that Veach and Spags need punched in their ****ing mouths at this point. Don't know which one of these retards is the catalyst for this but after Jones got caught with his dick in his hand game 2 the experiment should've been over. For the love of god, get Charlton back in here so we have someone else that can at least claim they're an NFL level DE
Nailed it.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:17 AM 09-27-2021
task #1 for a defense is to stop the run.

The first two weeks were horrible.

Sunday, The Chargers got 3.5 ypc.

Second task is red zone defense-we're still terrible.

Third task is to stop the pass; and that's a combination of coverage and pass rush. We apparently have no pass rush answers although we've spent a ton of money on Clark, Jones, and Reed. Coverage-wise, we were without two of our top three corners most of the second half, and minus our fastest LB.

So...I see some improvement and getting some guys back healthy will help, but there are still very real problems in search of solutions.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 26
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up