ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>Oppenheimer
Donger 12:06 PM 12-19-2022
I'm in. :-)

[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:24 PM 12-19-2022
I hope this is good. Nolan is steadily reaching hack territory for me with his last two outputs (Dunkirk and Tenet).
[Reply]
staylor26 12:34 PM 12-19-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I hope this is good. Nolan is steadily reaching hack territory for me with his last two outputs (Dunkirk and Tenet).
:-)

I mean, those 2 movies weren't his best work, but they're still better than 99% of the shit that Hollywood puts out. I thoroughly enjoyed both.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:47 PM 12-19-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:

I mean, those 2 movies weren't his best work, but they're still better than 99% of the shit that Hollywood puts out. I thoroughly enjoyed both.
Fact!

I loved Dunkirk
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:48 PM 12-19-2022

Excluding Home Alone 4, I'm not sure there is a movie I've enjoyed watching less in the last 2 years than TENET. It was an absolute mess with regards to the audio-visual and storytelling departments. Dunkirk was just boring and (saw it in IMAX) horribly loud. He really needs to clean up his act on the audio front, many of his films have barely audible dilogue with his crap sound mixing. Sorry, I know it's not the thread for it, but he's come an embarrassingly long way away from his Memento days.

Denis Villeneuve, not Nolan, should be getting the kind of cult-like following for gorgeous heady movies.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:48 PM 12-19-2022
I hope this isn't a miss.

I really liked Dunkirk and Nolan's capacity to put WWII visuals on the screen.

But this is a very different endeavor. I read the General and the Genius (not Genious btw) about the Manhattan project focusing on Oppenheimer and Groves. Whatever you might think about the book, the story of Oppenheimer is a very very complicated and nuanced story. It is difficult for scholars who have spent a lifetime studying the Manhattan project and subsequent events and interviews.

Any artistic license taken would seriously impact a well documented life executing well documented events. It's not like the Dunkirk movie that had relatively faceless characters that he could use in whatever way he wanted to tell the story.

FWIW, the General and the Genius is a really good book for those interested. There are a lot of touchy subjects it does a good job of navigating them fairly and (IMO) objectively. And some of them are pretty serious, like how Stalin knew about the bomb before Truman at Potsdam.

All that is difficult to tell in an anthology of books, much less in a feature film.

But Nolan has earned the rope to hang himself.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:09 PM 12-19-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
What?

I thought Dunkirk was awesome.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:24 PM 12-19-2022
This story has the potential for a tremendous movie.
[Reply]
Lzen 04:20 PM 12-19-2022

Dunkirk was okay. Not great but decent.

I did like Tenet a lot more. But I can understand why some would hate it. It was a little confusing, kind of like Inception was.

And you're right, most movies these days are crap.
[Reply]
notorious 05:07 PM 12-19-2022
He has one of the most important and terrifying quotes in the history of Earth.

I can’t imagine living with what he had to live with. Creating something powerful enough to end humanity.

I am ready for this movie. The cast is fantastic, too.
[Reply]
Jenson71 05:27 PM 12-19-2022
Is this about frank or bob?
[Reply]
Stryker 08:06 PM 12-19-2022
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Fact!

I loved Dunkirk
This!
[Reply]
Bowser 08:16 PM 12-19-2022
I'm a Nolan junkie, so I'm in alone for that. But Cillian Murphy is almost criminally underrated as an actor (or at least he was before Peaky Blinders), so those two together? Shiiiiiiitt. Done and done.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 08:18 PM 12-19-2022
Dude who played Scarecrow all growed up.

I will see it.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:19 PM 12-19-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
What?

I thought Dunkirk was awesome.
I thought it was a lesser effort by Nolan, but still better than nearly all the muck Hollywood burps out. The story was choppy (by his standards) and the sound was WAY too loud in the theaters, but yeah, would definitely watch again.

I need to re-watch Tenet and see what a second viewing does for me. I liked it pretty well, but I think it might get better when you have a feel for it going in.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Up