ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Media Center>Ted Lasso is a good show
BWillie 10:26 AM 09-04-2020
It's on Apple TV so that is kind of a pain in the ass. I always give a watch to the guys who grew up around here (Sudekis, Rudd, Cheadle etc)

A feel good show that is better than I thought, albeit a little corny.

Story: Likable and optimistic D2 football coach gets hired to coach Premier soccer team in England.

[Reply]
T-post Tom 09:11 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
This.

Finding that Cat Stevens song at the end was victory enough.

Ended on a high note with some good episodes to finish the season. Some cringey stuff in there but it was a good run.
Agree on all points. I made it thru w/o getting too emotional until that song. Dammit Yusuf! :-)
[Reply]
T-post Tom 09:16 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
So how much of that last montage was a dream? All of it? That possibility certainly allows them to continue it if they choose (with or without Ted).
Wasn’t a dream. Series is over. The creatives completed it on their terms. That said, love me some Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:17 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
Wasn’t a dream. Series is over. The creatives completed it on their terms. That said, love me some Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette.
I mean, they very clearly left open the possibility it was a dream by the way they edited that.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 09:47 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I mean, they very clearly left open the possibility it was a dream by the way they edited that.
I had previously read several interviews and comments from the creators about the planned ending of the series after season 3. So I probably wasn’t as open-minded about the possibility of a dream sequence as you were. Ted Lasso was mostly an upbeat, “feel good” show. The finale was consistent with that. And Jason Sudeikis seemed pretty adamant that the show had long been planned to end with only three seasons. Based on the last few episodes of this season, I found that plan to be appropriate.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:08 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by KC Hawks:
Most unbelievable part was a direct flight from London to KC.
I imagine with the new airport it's just a matter of time:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/with-a-...light/43131951
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:39 AM 06-01-2023
That was...expected.

It's Ted Lasso - they're not gonna have him die in a plane crash or have Jamie blow out a knee. It's a feel good show that put feel good bows on every plot line they reasonably could.

Some of it was saccharine as hell but that's...Ted Lasso.

The finale did what the show set out to do from the first episode. It closed enough loops to make perfect sense. None of the characters took stupid-ass "Evil Nate" turns like they did to close out season 2. Everyone played to their type. Though I do think they made Rupert more of a cartoonish super villain than he'd been throughout the show. He'd been calculating and ruthless and then...that happened? Eh - that felt really forced and very fan servicey.

My only real complaint in terms of storytelling is that soooooo muuuuuch happened off screen. Ted's reveal and Rebecca/the team's reaction to it. Nate leaving West Ham. A lot of the relationship stuff (notably Roy/Keeley). Rebecca's ultimate decision w/ Richmond. I mean - why? For a show that is so character driven, why have that much stuff happen away from the viewer?

In the end the finale was fine. The show finished strong enough through the last 3 episodes that the middle 3-4 can be forgiven. I just wish they'd have spent more time with some of the character developments that happened over the last 1/3 of season 2 and into season 3. This felt 3-4 episodes too short.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:27 PM 06-01-2023
There are lots of valid criticisms for the show. But the tedbecca crowd get on my last nerve.

Lots of story arcs don’t make sense. But this was a very Midwest ending. And it’s a sad state that some don’t understand why Ted would find happiness focusing his life on his kid. God forbid he choose his kid over fame and coaching players across the world. It’s the part of the story line that made the most sense.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:26 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541:
And yeah it checked every woke box for max virtue signaling points. Season 1 was nails. It ends like Bud Light
WTF dude, leave politics out of this.:-)

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

My only real complaint in terms of storytelling is that soooooo muuuuuch happened off screen. Ted's reveal and Rebecca/the team's reaction to it. Nate leaving West Ham. A lot of the relationship stuff (notably Roy/Keeley). Rebecca's ultimate decision w/ Richmond. I mean - why? For a show that is so character driven, why have that much stuff happen away from the viewer?

In the end the finale was fine. The show finished strong enough through the last 3 episodes that the middle 3-4 can be forgiven. I just wish they'd have spent more time with some of the character developments that happened over the last 1/3 of season 2 and into season 3. This felt 3-4 episodes too short.
Yep, GOT type of rushed series ending.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:41 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
WTF dude, leave politics out of this.:-)
The show made politics an integral component of the story they were trying to tell in THREE major story arcs.

Sorry, but that puts politics in play in a Ted Lasso thread. They opened that door.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:44 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
There are lots of valid criticisms for the show. But the tedbecca crowd get on my last nerve.

Lots of story arcs don’t make sense. But this was a very Midwest ending. And it’s a sad state that some don’t understand why Ted would find happiness focusing his life on his kid. God forbid he choose his kid over fame and coaching players across the world. It’s the part of the story line that made the most sense.
At the beginning of that episode, before the Beard Banana Hammock reveal, my wife said "There it is! I wondered when that would happen..."

I just replied "Why?!?"

There's been ZERO sexual chemistry between those two. There's been no hint of them being relationship compatible throughout the show. I was about to just get pissed off because that made NO sense at all. And fortunately it was just a gag designed expressly to troll those folks.

Because that was just a M/F relationship born of mutual respect. Jesus people - are we really at a place where that means they're gonna fuck? I respect lots of women I've worked with and it never made me interested in banging her.

That's just a weird thing for fans to be pining for. There was absolutely no reason for it.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:08 AM 06-02-2023
At the beginning of that episode, before the Beard Banana Hammock reveal, my wife said "There it is! I wondered when that would happen..."

I just replied "Why?!?"

There's been ZERO sexual chemistry between those two. There's been no hint of them being relationship compatible throughout the show. I was about to just get pissed off because that made NO sense at all. And fortunately it was just a gag designed expressly to troll those folks.

Because that was just a M/F relationship born of mutual respect. Jesus people - are we really at a place where that means they're gonna ****? I respect lots of women I've worked with and it never made me interested in banging her.

That's just a weird thing for fans to be pining for. There was absolutely no reason for it.
She did fuck a player which was even more idiotic.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:16 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
She did fuck a player which was even more idiotic.
And near as I can tell there was no character development that arose from it or payoff in any way.

It was an odd little tangent, to say the least. It seemed like they abandoned a planned plotline somewhere along the way there.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 12:48 PM 06-02-2023

I just replied "Why?!?"

Because that was just a M/F relationship born of mutual respect. Jesus people - are we really at a place where that means they're gonna fuck? I respect lots of women I've worked with and it never made me interested in banging her.

My wife and I basically had the same conversation.

Before watching the episode, we ran through our predictions for how things would wrap up. My wife said "Ted and Rebecca finally end up together. They've been building towards that the entire series. The chemistry is obvious."

I gave her the same "WTF - there's nothing there."
[Reply]
Hawk 04:36 PM 06-02-2023
It was a good last episode, nicely done.

Of course Ted went home, it had to be that way I think.

Glad Rebecca wound up with Dutch guy! And really glad her and Ted did not end up together, that made no sense and I was totally pissed when they did the fake-out, until I realized it was a fake out, and then it was hilarious with Beard sitting on the counter in his thong (haha, ewww).

And shout out to one of the best scenes of the series in the prior episode where Beard forgives Nate and tells him the story of Beard and Ted's friendship and Ted's forgiveness. Very well done by both actors.

The actor that plays Beard (and who was a writer for the show as well) did an AMA (As Me Anything) on the Tedd Lasso subreddit today, and he confirmed that the end was not a dream sequence, all of that happened. Yeah poor editing to make it seem that way.

But it confirms that Roy is the head coach now with Beard and Nate as assistants, Rebecca and Dutch guy are together so she's a "mom" now, Jane and Beard got married and Jane is pregnant, Sam finally made the Nigerian team, and Keeley didn't pick Jaime or Roy either one.....at least not yet (spin-off coming I hope).

I'm gonna miss this show, one of my favorites in recent memory.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:43 PM 06-02-2023
And near as I can tell there was no character development that arose from it or payoff in any way.

It was an odd little tangent, to say the least. It seemed like they abandoned a planned plotline somewhere along the way there.
They all but ignored Sam as a character in S3 after developing him in S2. Probably a product again of just the writers running out of time to deal with all these characters in a satisfactory way.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up