ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Media Center>Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
TwistedChief 07:29 PM 12-20-2018
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC. But - it's on Amazon Prime and the second season was just released, and it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:52 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
For those who have wrapped this show up, you now have to watch Catastrophe!
So easy to hate watch that. . . Sharon is so brittle and Rob is such a pussy. Chris saves that show.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:13 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
. . . you hesitated. . .
...I did...

:-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:19 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Thing is, she's 'sneaky' hot. She doesn't flaunt sexuality, and she dresses appropriately for a society gal the era. But every once in a while it hits you that her figure is fairly amazing.
Brosnan is amazing.

The one who is sneaky about it is Rose.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:58 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Brosnan is amazing.

The one who is sneaky about it is Rose.

It was a long-running, low-key tragedy that Marin spent all those prime years making good money to play the harridan ex-wife of loser brother on that show.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 10:29 AM 01-14-2019
I thought it was funny and will keep watching, but the show has an annoying habit of bringing up plot points and then, for whatever reason, completely forgetting about them or bringing them up randomly. Characters often randomly change their mind and act differently episode to episode, with no explanation as to what changed(the entire France side plot was a great example).
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:45 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
I thought it was funny and will keep watching, but the show has an annoying habit of bringing up plot points and then, for whatever reason, completely forgetting about them or bringing them up randomly. Characters often randomly change their mind and act differently episode to episode, with no explanation as to what changed(the entire France side plot was a great example).

Really? I thought the Paris bit worked well. It was a little bit unbelievable in terms of the logistics of money and how unbelievably wealthy you'd have to be to accomplish that and shit, but whatever.

There has been some criticism that Rose and her situation didn't change after that little endeavor, but the way I see it, Rose chose to go back to Abe - with the money and lifestyle. And that's the way it had to be.

I think the art classes, while kind of clunky, pointed to the reason why she quit being so passionate about it. She loved the idea of art and living the artists life, until she met girls that were trying to do it. And she "grew up" in a way that the life down that path isn't all roses.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 06:10 PM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Really? I thought the Paris bit worked well. It was a little bit unbelievable in terms of the logistics of money and how unbelievably wealthy you'd have to be to accomplish that and shit, but whatever.

There has been some criticism that Rose and her situation didn't change after that little endeavor, but the way I see it, Rose chose to go back to Abe - with the money and lifestyle. And that's the way it had to be.

I think the art classes, while kind of clunky, pointed to the reason why she quit being so passionate about it. She loved the idea of art and living the artists life, until she met girls that were trying to do it. And she "grew up" in a way that the life down that path isn't all roses.
But you skipped over the entire part of Abe ending an episode basically having a nervous breakdown for how rediculous the situation is and then magically the next episode he loves everything, learns French, loves the dog, and generally completely changes his uptight, rigid lifestyle out of the blue. Then they come back and he’s basically the same rigid guy as before except he does find rose the job at the university. And that’s just one major thing. How about the entire “insulting the other comic” plot Line? She gets blacklisted, apparently, except she doesn’t but for like 10 minutes of show time, then the comedian hates her so much she sends two guys out to either rough up or kill her manager, except they don’t and they warn her to stop doing acts. The manager ignores it and nothing ever comes of it. It’s not even talked about. Oh and then they run in to the guys sent to hurt her weeks(?) later and the other comedian does nothing but...sets her time slot back. Wow. From blacklisting and kidnapping/ possible assault/murder to knocking her timeslot back AND hiring the manager she was apparently fine with killing a little bit ago. Where did the booking manager who blacklisted her go? Who knows. There’s main points like that and then smaller ones where scenes happen and are never mentioned again. Remember when Abe and the ex-husbands dad split the condo and then it was never talked about again? Like I said, it didn’t stop me from enjoying the show, but this kind of stuff does happen quite a bit.
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:24 PM 07-15-2019
HOLY HAT this show is good.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 06:26 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
HOLY HAT this show is good.
Wife and I just started watching it. We both love it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:54 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
what the hell have you been watching instead? This show is top shelf.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:03 AM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
You've ruined tomato juice for me.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:05 AM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I knew someone would say this.

You know how much streaming episodic TV there is today? How much of it is "must see"? I'd have to watch HOURS of that EVERY night to even begin to keep up. And that would leave no room for sports, which I watch a lot of. And movies.

The beauty of streaming is I can watch it when I want to, days, weeks, months or even YEARS later.

We watched Stranger Things 3 the first weekend it came out. We finished Friday Night Lights a couple of months ago. Hell, we finally watched The Sopranos (even though I knew all the major plot points) and finished that a couple of weeks ago.

We started Veep. Liked it. Need to get back to it.

I want to watch Black Mirror. I started The Expanse and want to get back to that. I still haven't seen Man in the High Castle.

I'm sorry I'm not watching things on everyone else's schedule!
[Reply]
vailpass 03:45 PM 07-16-2019

You know how much streaming episodic TV there is today? How much of it is "must see"? I'd have to watch HOURS of that EVERY night to even begin to keep up. And that would leave no room for sports, which I watch a lot of. And movies.

The beauty of streaming is I can watch it when I want to, days, weeks, months or even YEARS later.

We watched Stranger Things 3 the first weekend it came out. We finished Friday Night Lights a couple of months ago. Hell, we finally watched The Sopranos (even though I knew all the major plot points) and finished that a couple of weeks ago.

I want to watch Black Mirror. I started The Expanse and want to get back to that. I still haven't seen Man in the High Castle.

WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
[Reply]
DeepPurple 04:01 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
...it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.
Did you ever watch the HBO series Six Feet Under? That's my favorite all time pick. It was six seasons, 63 episodes, I've seen the entire series 4 times. The cast was Peter Krause, Richard Jenkins, Michael C. Hall, Francis Conroy, Lauren Ambrose, Freddy Rodriguez, Jeremy Sisto and Rachel Griffiths.

Here is the last ten minutes of episode #63 where everybody in the show dies and you see what happens to them. The music is Sia Breathe Me, which became a hit and made her famous from this scene. Most everyone on the show went on to have their own shows. I just saw Freddy Rodriguez last night on Bull, Peter Krause has had several shows, Richard Jenkins is in many movies. Michael C. Hall was Dexter, I could go. To me, this was the Best!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:08 AM 07-17-2019

See you need me to manage your TV time. but you owe me.
You need to drop Black Mirror and the Expanse. Both are hit and miss on the quality.Forget the man in the castle. First season was okay but its unsettling to watch a show about Nazi's winning the war, the ovens and the final solution went on etc.

I liked Veep but the wife didn't. Sopranos still holds up today. I've only have a chance to watch 2 episodes of Stranger things.

Get these in your queue ASAP. Chernobyl, Godless for the cinematography, Daredevil and Glow.

Bill is in the mail.:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up