ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Media Center>HBO Max
RunKC 09:21 AM 10-31-2019
Anyone see this yesterday? I’m excited for their lineup.

HBO vault
DC comics
Warner Bros vault
Adult Swim
Studio Ghibli-complete anime vault
Looney Tunes/Cartoon Network/Hanna Barbera vault
New HBO originals

They also paid half a billion for South Park :-)

Netflix is gonna have to work harder to keep up
[Reply]
007 05:57 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
HBO Max and now Disney have decided to release feature films simultaneously to their services and movie theaters.

Is HBO also charging a fee to view new movies? Other than the monthly fee I mean.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:12 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
Is HBO also charging a fee to view new movies? Other than the monthly fee I mean.
No. They are not.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:47 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
No. They are focused on getting HBOMax’s subscriber base up.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:57 PM 12-16-2020
Deal with Roku reached with HBO Max

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...84/3931546001/

Just ahead of the impending debut of next week's "Wonder Woman 1984" debut on the HBO Max, parent company WarnerMedia says it reached a deal to bring the streaming service's app to Roku's popular video devices.

Roku devices are the favorite choice for consumers to stream net video services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video on their TVs, with 100.2 million viewers, or about 34.6% of all U.S. internet users, according research firm eMarketer. That's ahead of No. 2 held by Amazon Fire TV at 72.7 million, eMarketer estimates.

hmu @Roku I have thoughts �� https://t.co/O1h8pwYQ9N

— HBO Max (@hbomax) December 16, 2020

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:49 PM 12-16-2020
The HBO Max app will reportedly be available for Roku tomorrow.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:11 PM 12-16-2020
It was never anything technical? Just a pissing match?

FFS..
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:19 PM 12-16-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
It was never anything technical? Just a pissing match?

FFS..
Yes, I detailed this before but it was all about Ad Revenue and subscriptions.

HBO Max wanted a larger share of the ad revenue generated by Roku and they also wanted 100% of the revenue when people sign up for HBO Max using their Roku. In the past, Roku kept approximately 20% but HBO Max wanted 100%.

HBO Max had only 8 million activations until they finally came to an agreement with Amazon Fire, which has pushed their activations to 12 million. Considering that Roku & Fire make up 80% of their subscribers, they should finally see their numbers rise in the next month or so.

Bottom line is that once again AT&T just doesn't understand how to navigate the entertainment business.
[Reply]
EPodolak 07:40 PM 12-16-2020

HBO Max wanted a larger share of the ad revenue generated by Roku and they also wanted 100% of the revenue when people sign up for HBO Max using their Roku. In the past, Roku kept approximately 20% but HBO Max wanted 100%.

HBO Max had only 8 million activations until they finally came to an agreement with Amazon Fire, which has pushed their activations to 12 million. Considering that Roku & Fire make up 80% of their subscribers, they should finally see their numbers rise in the next month or so.

Bottom line is that once again AT&T just doesn't understand how to navigate the entertainment business.
Seems theirs is a unique niche... A conventional platform provider with ATT.TV, (and DirectTV & UVerse) and also a provider of content...trickier to navigate the market and negotiate isn't it?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:17 AM 12-17-2020
Nice!!
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:02 PM 12-17-2020
Damn HBO Max on Roku won't stream and glitchy. Total shock there.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 06:03 PM 12-17-2020

ATT doesn't understand how to navigate the telephony business either. At least they're consistent when moving into a new industry.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:07 PM 12-17-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Damn HBO Max on Roku won't stream and glitchy. Total shock there.
Have you updated your software? I had to update one of my TV's but the others, which are much newer, installed just fine.

The strange thing is that I only needed to authorize one TV. Once I went to sign in the other 5, I found that they were already logged in, which I think is a first for any of these apps.

You might also try removing it and installing it again, which has worked for me in the past when an app starts acting flakey.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:23 PM 12-17-2020
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Seems theirs is a unique niche... A conventional platform provider with ATT.TV, (and DirectTV & UVerse) and also a provider of content...trickier to navigate the market and negotiate isn't it?
Well, Comcast has done a decent job with Universal Pictures, NBC and now, The Peacock. Spectrum has created a strong sports division with The Dodgers and Lakers. They've done well recently with original programming, too.

AT&T just doesn't know how to run an entertainment division. They continue to hire and fire management people at will, while pissing off every director and agent associated with Warner Brothers.

Sometimes, corporations buying into the entertainment business are just a bad fit. Panasonic bought 80% of then MCA Entertainment, which included Universal Pictures, MCA Records and Publishing along with the Universal Studios Tour and Lot, but they just didn't know how to manage or grow the business so fortunately, they sold it. But they sold it to Edgar Bronfman, Jr of the Seagrams liquor family, and he couldn't do much with it, either.

It's a unique niche that can't be categorized or managed like a "normal" business because "Artists" can be very difficult to work with, so it takes a certain personality type to make it work.

And the Japanese were definitely the wrong people to purchase MCA.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:46 PM 12-17-2020
Have you updated your software? I had to update one of my TV's but the others, which are much newer, installed just fine.

The strange thing is that I only needed to authorize one TV. Once I went to sign in the other 5, I found that they were already logged in, which I think is a first for any of these apps.

You might also try removing it and installing it again, which has worked for me in the past when an app starts acting flakey.
Yep I did all of that. It must be that one particular series because I picked a random movie and it works fine.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:50 PM 12-17-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Yep I did all of that. It must be that one particular series because I picked a random movie and it works fine.
My best guess is that since it was just released today, their servers are taking a massive hit, which is causing the issue.

Disney+ was the same way Day 1. They only expected about 2-3 million customers but hit 10 million the first day. It was pretty sloppy for weeks as they continued to work on the app and add servers.

Considering AT&T/Warnermedia are clueless about everything else, they're most likely unprepared for the number of activations today.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Up