ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How do you think this draft class impacts this year?
RunKC 08:54 AM 05-03-2021
Was just thinking about a ton of teams saying they won’t show up to voluntary OTA’s and believe some rookies won’t either. That’s definitely going to hurt.

From our class, I think Creed Humphrey is the only player who could be a starter opening day. I’m not completely confident in that considering he needs reps with Patrick but I think there’s a strong possibility there.

Bolton is probably not starting but will play roughly 25% of the snaps early if I had to guess. I think they’ll take the Willie Gay approach around mid season where he played some but not a ton. Unfortunately we’ll have to suffer watching Neimann a bit longer in September and most of October before Bolton starts taking over.

I think we could definitely see Gray and Powell early but on specialty plays starting off. Gray could easily be a FB/TE ace early and Powell on red zone plays and a few others. They’ll get ST’s snaps for sure

Kaindoh is too raw. He’ll get some reps but not many early IMO. Think they want to work on his technique as he develops. He’s a guy to watch later in the year.

Smith is probably going to be the backup this year. He’s definitely beating out Wylie but I keep thinking Andy will start LDT at RG for continuity bc there’s just no way in hell he’s starting potentially 3 players with zero NFL snaps all next to each other in week 1. Would really like to see the kid in as an extra lineman on speciality plays.

This kid is undrafted but I think that BYU kid could really be Dirty Dan’s 2022 replacement and could beat out Watts. He’s athletic as hell and should be money on ST’s.

Anyone disagree? Think one of these guys gets more playing time early?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:42 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
That's what I hope happens, but I think Remmers gets the nod week one. I don't think it will be long until we see Niang.
Nope.

Either Niang starts Week 1 or he sits until there's an injury. Andy doesn't change his offensive line on a whim or even if a guy is underperforming.

If Niang looks competent, he'll be the starter.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:47 AM 05-03-2021
As far as biggest impact, it has to be Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith and of course, Orlando Brown, jr.

The Bills just drafted two defensive ends, as did the Ravens. They watched the Super Bowl, too, and saw how constant pressure threw off Mahomes and the team's timing, so they're hoping to replicate that in the playoffs next season.

How the line reacts this season will determine the fate of the Chiefs season because every team will attempt to copy the Bucs defensive game plan.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:32 AM 05-03-2021
Creed Humphrey will start day 1.

If Trey Smith is fully healthy, he'll definitely be in the 2 deep day 1.

Bolton will get playing time early and will see his playing time increase as the season goes on. I expect to see him starting games by the end of the season and showing that he's ready to be the starting MLB in 2022.

I expect to see spot duty from Gray and Powell to start and if they can develop, they'll see snaps too.

Right now, this draft class is all about Humphrey. If he is what we think he is, he's a top notch starter right away and that's huge from the #63 overall pick.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:36 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The Chiefs REALLY wanted Noah Gray. They wanted him so much that they tried to trade up twice just to get him.

He’s getting on the field a lot IMO. Kelce getting a breather? Gray is on the field. 12 personnel groupings, especially on 1st/2nd and long? Gray is on the field

I think he’s on the field as FB quite a bit too. He’s can routinely make plays like that Sherm TD in Patrick’s first start.

So pumped to see him play
I think it has more to do with 12 personnel than anything.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:14 PM 05-03-2021
I think Creed has like a 90% chance of starting.
[Reply]
cabletech94 12:16 PM 05-03-2021
The Chiefs REALLY wanted Noah Gray. They wanted him so much that they tried to trade up twice just to get him.

He’s getting on the field a lot IMO. Kelce getting a breather? Gray is on the field. 12 personnel groupings, especially on 1st/2nd and long? Gray is on the field

I think he’s on the field as FB quite a bit too. He’s can routinely make plays like that Sherm TD in Patrick’s first start.

Not trying to be a dick here, where/how did you see this. I am generally intrigued. Actually, I’m stoked we traded 2 picks and got 2 picks in the deal. Thanks in advance!!

*EDIT*
Sorry, just now read the Vrett Beach presser and saw the quote/post. Amazed they got their guy after waiting 20+picks. OUTSTANDING BEACH!!!!
[Reply]
Wallymo 12:34 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
In terms of Bolton, I'd wager the goal is to NOT have another Willie Gay situation. I think they targeted this guy because they knew that he was ready to step in day 1 and make a contribution. Having your second round pick unavailable for months was not ideal, and more than one coach mentioned they're game-readiness as a big factor for these picks. You heard it about Bolton, Creed, Smith, and you heard EB telling Powell that he was being brought in to compete right away.
Bolton is a very different player than Gay. I love Gay, and think he will make a much bigger impact this year. His physical traits are ridiculous. But he got lost or washed out at times and didn't always hit what looked to be the correct holes.

Bolton is an instinctive, cerebral player. He's going to pick up the schemes quickly and I think he will see substantially more time than Gay did starting out.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:37 PM 05-03-2021
My favorite sleeper 2021 contributor is Powell.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:41 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Nope.

Either Niang starts Week 1 or he sits until there's an injury. Andy doesn't change his offensive line on a whim or even if a guy is underperforming.

If Niang looks competent, he'll be the starter.
We actually agree. It won't be long, was my nice way of saying the first time Remmers has to go to the sideline I don't think Niang will be removed.

I think going into the season, Andy will love the idea that Niang is his swing tackle.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 01:11 PM 05-03-2021
As many have said, Creed Humphrey probably is the starting center week 1. I don't see Bolton starting immediately since Gay barley saw the field last year. I know they're not the same situations but I'm hoping Bolton will be on the field more than Ben friggin Niemann.

I am also really interested to see Trey Smith as well. Especially how highly he was evaluated. I know there are some medical scaries in his past but hopefully he has moved on from that and he doesn't have an issues going forward.

Honestly, I think our draft is solid. It seemed like we got good value at nearly every pick. I'm just looking forward to the season and the revenge tour
[Reply]
JakeF 01:34 PM 05-03-2021

Considering Gray has a bunch of crap to compete against, I see him playing too.

Kizer, the Dee Ford of Tightends.
Seals
Bell
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:40 PM 05-03-2021
Disclaimer: I haven't read this thread:

My guesses:

Bolton starts at OLB this year and assumes ILB next year. He and Gay are the spine of the D for the rest of their contracts, and still get carved up in the passing game but give us above-average play nonetheless.

Humphrey starts for a good long time and makes the Pro Bowl a couple times.

Kaindoh is a rotational guy and finally starts looking like a football player in 2023. Will eventually leave once that happens.

Gray will be good for 200-400 yards receiving a season. Powell will fiddle around on special teams and be our WR4.

Tre Smith starts at RG in 2022.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:45 PM 05-03-2021
I thin comparing gay last year to bolton at this point is fair. Gay was/is super raw but talented, whereas bolton is less of a specimen but a smart and instinctive player. I fully expect to see him playing at least 2x as much as gay did this year if not as a near full time starter.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 01:55 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
My favorite sleeper 2021 contributor is Powell.
Yep. Don't be surprised when he is getting more reps than you think.

If we don't do something big like trade for Julio, Powell will get a lot more play.

Hardman ain't going to be running in Sammy's spot.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:20 PM 05-03-2021
I've been watching Powell film and I think I love him
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up