ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 22
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
Dante84 03:14 PM 05-06-2021
Man, if Hardman can mature and put it together, next year really will be a blast.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:34 PM 05-06-2021
Everybody going, “lol too old to develop” with this guy.

I’m sure guys have entered the league as 23+ year olds before and got better and improved from nothing into something. Odds are against him, but it can’t be unheard of
[Reply]
staylor26 05:38 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

I’m sure guys have entered the league as 23+ year olds before and got better and improved from nothing into something. Odds are against him, but it can’t be unheard of
I certainly think he’s going to get better with NFL coaching, but really if he can just prove to be that guy he was down the stretch, he’s going to be a good player.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:42 PM 05-06-2021
Cornell Powell pretty much destroyed Sean Wades draft stock.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:44 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Cornell Powell pretty much destroyed Sean Wades draft stock.
Yea he embarrassed him multiple times.
[Reply]
-King- 06:05 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I don't get the Emojis. He angry because he's changing his number to 14?
I didn't realize you were so old... :-)
[Reply]
flinchfree 06:35 PM 05-06-2021
He's just gonna be dirty good I think.
Much like Bolton plays violent, that's what i see from The General. Violent change of direction and even his running looks like it's pretty manic.
It won't be pretty, but you won't wonder if the kid is putting in effort.
I think many oppo teams have probably viewed this current Chiefs group as a little finesse, about routes and speed and skill.
We look harder after the draft, and I like that alot.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06:35 PM 05-06-2021
If Hardman can learn more than a GO route he will be unstoppable. He needs to tighten up his in game IQ. I swear him and D Rob blank out for a couple plays during the game
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06:37 PM 05-06-2021

Highest passer rating when targeted since 2019

🎯 Mecole Hardman - 132.2
🎯 A.J. Brown - 128.6 pic.twitter.com/7Z8klfFtZy

— PFF Fantasy Football (@PFF_Fantasy) May 6, 2021

[Reply]
BWillie 08:32 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
When you can only run straight with a slide and are fast as fuck those are going to be the only balls you catch. Leading to an inflated QB number when targeted. Hes just not a well rounded player. He runs shitty routes. And doesn't know how to play football. These are all the same things that were said about him when he came out of the draft. He very well could have a 800 yd season but I think thats absolute ceiling.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:24 AM 05-07-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

I mean, if we need youth, we still have Byron Pringle.

LOL
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 05-07-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
When you can only run straight with a slide and are fast as **** those are going to be the only balls you catch. Leading to an inflated QB number when targeted. Hes just not a well rounded player. He runs shitty routes. And doesn't know how to play football. These are all the same things that were said about him when he came out of the draft. He very well could have a 800 yd season but I think thats absolute ceiling.
If he’s the #2 wr and puts up an 800 yard 6 td season the chiefs will have one of the best offenses ever
[Reply]
RunKC 10:00 AM 05-07-2021
Just a reminder that Juan Thornhill was 23 when we drafted him. He’s gonna be 27 when he gets his next contract extension
[Reply]
RunKC 10:06 AM 05-07-2021
Travis Kelce...24 the day we drafted him. God that sucks that he didn’t even play a down for us until the season he turned 25
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:12 AM 05-07-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Just a reminder that Juan Thornhill was 23 when we drafted him. He’s gonna be 27 when he gets his next contract extension
So you’re saying 5th round prospects aren’t perfect.....
[Reply]
Page 15 of 22
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Up