ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 22
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
staylor26 01:57 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Huh. I was told you can’t get elite caliber athletes with production after the first rd :-)
:-)

He was not productive at all until the last several games of his career. Lack of production throughout his career is literally the biggest knock on him.

Also, his athleticism is above average, but not “elite”. I’m not using that word as lightly as you are.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:03 PM 05-06-2021
Also, what I said was you don’t get elite production AND elite athleticism/measurables outside of the 1st.

1. That doesn’t mean there aren’t rare exceptions to the rule.

2. That doesn’t mean you can’t get guys that have both production and athleticism. I’m specifically talking about elite levels for both.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:04 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
He produced in 2020.
He didn't though.

Through the first 4 games of the season, he had 4 games with exactly 2 receptions in each game.

He had 4 receptions against GTech in Week 5. He followed that up with 2 catches against Syracuse.

He broke out in week 7 against BC with 11 catches. And followed that up with 6 catches each against ND and Pitt. He had 4 catches in each of the last 2 games of the regular season.

He finished the season with 53 catches, HALF of which basically came in just 3 games.

That's exactly why he fell. He didn't have anything close to consistent production.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:05 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Well, he didn't have a ton of production. That's why he fell.

You're trying way too hard dude. You should probably quit while you're not too far behind.
He had just under 900 yards, 7 TD’s and over 16 YPC avg in 2020 on a team with Amari Rodgers and likely other top 100 WR’s.

He didn’t get a ton of stats previously bc the team had guys like Tee Higgins ahead of him.

That’s why he fell. It’s great value
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:06 PM 05-06-2021
He had just under 900 yards, 7 TD’s and over 16 YPC avg in 2020 on a team with Amari Rodgers and likely other top 100 WR’s.

He didn’t get a ton of stats previously bc the team had guys like Tee Higgins ahead of him.

It absolutely is great value.

What you're missing is that the guy had 93 career receptions. He had ONE THIRD of his career production in just 3 games this past season.

He wasn't consistently productive and that's why he fell.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:10 PM 05-06-2021
Also the guy is similar to Chris Conley in terms of body strength and not ideal lateral agility (3 cone) but the big difference I see is his route running ability.

He already looks like our 2nd best router runner at the WR position. That’s kinda sad, but Hardman needs work there and Robinson just isn’t very good
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:12 PM 05-06-2021
Also the guy is similar to Chris Conley in terms of body strength and not ideal lateral agility (3 cone) but the big difference I see is his route running ability.

He already looks like our 2nd best router runner at the WR position. That’s kinda sad, but Hardman needs work there and Robinson just isn’t very good
So basically he's like Nick Bolton only at WR.

:-)
[Reply]
staylor26 02:18 PM 05-06-2021

I think you’re having trouble understanding the word “elite”.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:42 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I don't get the Emojis. He angry because he's changing his number to 14?
It's in reference to the first photoshop that had 17 and caused all that ruckus when Mahomes made fun of Mecole because of it
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:45 PM 05-06-2021
https://www.nfl.com/news/afc-west-dr...aiders-perplex

Biggest Sleeper:
Kansas City Chiefs
Cornell Powell
Clemson · WR
Draft slot: Round 5, No. 181 overall

There might not be a better situation for a fifth-round receiver to enter into. No. 1, Powell's going to be catching passes from arguably the best quarterback in the league in one of the most explosive offenses in the league. No. 2, Andy Reid is going to need someone to step up as a complementary target to Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and Co. Powell has a shot to be that guy as Kansas City looks to replace free-agent departure Sammy Watkins. He struggled to earn playing time during his first four years with the Tigers when he was buried on the depth chart behind future NFL draft picks like Mike Williams and Tee Higgins, among others, but he shined when he finally got his opportunity in 2020 (53 catches for 882 yards, seven TDs). This is a player on the rise.

Kansas City spent a good chunk of its draft capital to acquire Orlando Brown from the Ravens last month, filling a gaping hole at left tackle. Reminder: We’re not factoring pre-draft trades into the grades in this exercise. So, the Chiefs have a relatively small haul to evaluate, but it's a punchy one. I mean, when Bolton strikes you, it's not going to feel good. He makes the defense better, without question, but the biggest need for the team was defensive end, and there was a good one still on the board in Wake Forest’s Carlos Basham, who went to the Bills a few picks later. Perhaps the Chiefs will eventually be able to unlock the potential of Kaindoh to fill that D-line void, something Florida State was unable to do for the former five-star recruit. The selections we liked the most here were the offensive linemen. Humphrey is an excellent fit for the rebuilt unit, and I expect we’ll be calling Smith, chosen with the third-to-last pick of the sixth round, a steal a few years from now. Powell is a rising talent who could very well outperform his draft slotting, as well. Andy Reid and Brett Veach did a solid job of finding value with their six picks.
[Reply]
Dante84 02:46 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
It's in reference to the first photoshop that had 17 and caused all that ruckus when Mahomes made fun of Mecole because of it
Nah, it means he's ready to work / hyped up / the image looks tough. He's not clapping back at Mahomes & Hardman.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:48 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Nah, it means he's ready to work / hyped up / the image looks tough. He's not clapping back at Mahomes & Hardman.
Exactly.

It's a raging bull emoji. He's getting ready to charge.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:48 PM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Here it is:

I don’t know if it was the fastest all week though.

[Reply]
The Franchise 02:54 PM 05-06-2021
One of my favorite picks of the draft.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:00 PM 05-06-2021
I'm excited to have a normal offseason where these guys can work on getting on the same page. Hardman has a huge opportunity. Same with Powell. Get in go to work.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 22
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up