ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 67
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Nick Bolton Thread*****
Dante84 07:05 PM 04-30-2021
More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Bolton played in all 13 games as a true freshman (22 tackles, one sack) after earning Dallas Morning News first-team all-state honors at Lone Star High School (130 tackles, 16 for loss, five interceptions). He went from promising youngster to SEC star in 2019, earning first-team all-conference honors after leading the league with 8.9 tackles per game (107 total, 7.5 for loss), intercepting two passes and breaking up eight others in 12 starts. He was named second-team Associated Press All-American, first-team All-SEC and a Butkus Award finalist in 2020, leading his defense with 95 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss (including two sacks), while breaking up five passes in 10 starts. Bolton's father, Carlos, played football at Louisiana Tech. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
When you think about strong, forceful inside linebackers, Bolton is the type of player you might be envisioning. He's going to fall below typical NFL starter standards from a size standpoint, but his rugged frame and forceful demeanor help make up for it. Play recognition and pursuit instincts help carry him to the football and he's a message-sending striker when he gets the runner squared up. He has functional short-area burst between the tackles but will struggle to run down the outside run if he's not close enough to the action. He will need to lean heavier on his instincts to help speed him up because of size and speed limitations. Bolton plays with good field recognition when dropping into zone and has a history of making plays on the football in coverage. He's a three-down linebacker who can make an immediate contribution on special teams and has the potential to become a future starter.
Strengths
  • Very tough with a physical edge.
  • Plays with demeanor teams look for in the middle.
  • Field-savvy with instincts to diagnose misdirection.
  • Identifies and communicates.
  • Heavy hands with good pop to take on blocks.
  • Pursues ball-carrier with patience and leverage.
  • Fluid alterations to his pursuit angles.
  • Excellent feel for attack timing downhill.
  • Meets runners with violent collisions in the hole.
  • Strikes like he's trying to send a message.
  • Great awareness and ballhawking as spot dropper.
  • Has enough man-cover talent to play on all three downs.
  • Thrived on kick- and punt-cover teams early in his career.
Weaknesses
  • Average lateral quickness traps him behind climbing blocks.
  • Inconsistent to strike and separate from blockers.
  • Needs to improve angles to elude box traffic.
  • Might need to take a few more chances as a pro.
  • Top-end speed appears below average.
  • Loses ground when pursuit flows wide.
  • Below-average lateral agility as open-field tackler.
  • Will have to play quicker to deal with NFL slashers.

.@_nickbolton2 gets the call from One Arrowhead Drive �� pic.twitter.com/1XgaCeBy8R

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 1, 2021

[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:28 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He’s absolutely great at playing downhill and knocking people the **** out.

To just shrug off the mental aspect is retarded. The coaches have always spoken about Hitchens intelligence and ability to be a coach on the field since day 1. It’s extremely valuable for them, and it’s obvious why.

Bolton also has much more upside than Hitchens. He plays a lot faster/quicker, and he’s already probably better in coverage. His ball skills are also significantly better, so I’d expect him to make more plays in coverage than Hitchens ever has.

Would you rather pay Hitchens type of money again or get a much cheaper option with more upside on a rookie deal? It’s a position that had to be addressed this year or next, so I really don’t understand what the issue is at all.
I CHOOSE VIOLENCE!!!!
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:31 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Bolton isn't a workout warrior, which is why he was available when we picked.
His game speed is fine. Was a great pick.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:32 PM 05-02-2021
But but but the 3 cone :-)
[Reply]
Matrix 03:33 PM 05-02-2021
I'm a proud Mizzou fan today. Drink is slowly changing the culture and I'm looking forward to seeing them produce multiple NFL players like they used to.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:47 PM 05-02-2021
I would be interested to see the rating of Bolton’s play speed - similar to what they did with Waddle last year.

I suspect he’d retain more of his speed in pads than most LBs just from watching him play.

I saw him play 30ish SEC games and don’t think he ever looked slow.

His 2020 tape also probably lies a little bit about him - he played the last several games with a nagging lower body injury and also had a pretty weak DL in front of him.
[Reply]
Matrix 03:49 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And was thrown out of the game because of it.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:54 PM 05-02-2021
David Ubben on what the Chiefs are getting: The 6-foot, 230-pound linebacker was a three-star recruit who grew into one of the SEC’s best linebackers and most reliable players throughout his time with the Tigers. Missouri linebackers coach D.J. Smith compared him to Bobby Wagner, Devon White, Fred Warner, Lavonte David or Mychal Kendricks. Wherever the ball is, Bolton probably isn’t far away.

Dane Brugler’s analysis: The Chiefs are keeping Bolton in the state of Missouri, and he provides an immediate upgrade at linebacker for Kansas City. Can he be consistent in coverage? That’s the main question. But he is a hammer looking for a nail in the run game with his play speed, instincts and competitive toughness.

Sheil Kapadia’s grade: C+. Bolton (5-foot-11, 237 pounds) was a terrific college player, but there are legitimate questions about how Bolton’s game will translate to the next level. He offers a high floor, but does Bolton have the size and athleticism necessary to keep up with NFL running backs and tight ends in coverage? Given that the Chiefs didn’t have a first-round pick, it’s fair to wonder whether it makes sense for them to use this pick on an off-ball linebacker..
[Reply]
flinchfree 07:14 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:

Sheil Kapadia’s grade: C+. Bolton (5-foot-11, 237 pounds) was a terrific college player, but there are legitimate questions about how Bolton’s game will translate to the next level. He offers a high floor, but does Bolton have the size and athleticism necessary to keep up with NFL running backs and tight ends in coverage? Given that the Chiefs didn’t have a first-round pick, it’s fair to wonder whether it makes sense for them to use this pick on an off-ball linebacker..
LOL.

Because, as a 'terrific' college Linebacker playing in the piddly ole SEC conference, he's never seen players like those that materialize in the NFL.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:15 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by flinchfree:
LOL.

Because, as a 'terrific' college Linebacker playing in the piddly ole SEC conference, he's never seen players like those that materialize in the NFL.
He’s talking about being a run stopping LB with a lack of coverage skills.
[Reply]
Ron Swanson 07:36 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Matrix:
And shouldn't have been.
[Reply]
Chieftain 07:56 PM 05-02-2021
Craig Stout is the only one I enjoy listening to. The other two are clowns and mostly negative throughout the show. It's mindnumbing how down they were on our first two picks. That dweeb Matt Lane graded the draft up to that point a C. WTF?
We picked up two high value players at positions of need. Sure a WR would've been great but nobody available would've had the impact on offense that Bolton will have on defense. It's really that simple. And we absolutely needed a center. To get Humphrey that late is an absolute steal. Guy will be a solid starter for at least a decade.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 07:58 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Matrix:
Really? That's about the cleanest big hit you can do now days. Unless there is another angle
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:01 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
Craig Stout is the only one I enjoy listening to. The other two are clowns and mostly negative throughout the show. It's mindnumbing how down they were on our first two picks. That dweeb Matt Lane graded the draft up to that point a C. WTF?
We picked up two high value players at positions of need. Sure a WR would've been great but nobody available would've had the impact on offense that Bolton will have on defense. It's really that simple. And we absolutely needed a center. To get Humphrey that late is an absolute steal. Guy will be a solid starter for at least a decade.
I think they’re pretty good. These guys aren’t homers and they’re not ultra-negative. I thought their reasoning for not loving the picks wasn’t entirely off even though I didn’t necessarily agree. These are guys who live and breathe the Chiefs and travel to the Senior Bowl to scout players with the Chiefs in mind. They’re doing a great job in my view whether you agree with their takes or not.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:34 PM 05-02-2021
:-)

Me when Ben Niemann gets snaps over Willie Gay and Nick Bolton pic.twitter.com/uZtyhxL0sc

— 🧨uɐɥʇɐuoɾ🧨 (@Y0KE_) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
flinchfree 09:20 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
He’s talking about being a run stopping LB with a lack of coverage skills.
If that's what he showed in College (which is a pretty unfair blanket suggestion), then he wouldn't have been a terrific LBer.
No? I mean you can't get burned over and over and over and be considered good let alone terrific.
And he did it without a tonne of defensive help, losing more than is fun or easy to remain absolutely amped for.
But he stood out for exactly that endeavor.

The fact that some really quick rbacks or slot receivers were able to go past him is not peculiar to any LBers career. It's why you have Strong safeties and CB's who drop off coverage to get back into the play to help stop the play going for 6.

He's going to look freakin amazing next to Gay and Honey Badger and with the kind of stout and game wrecking defensive line were assembling.
ESPECIALLY considering the mediocre LBer play we've gotten accustomed to watching over the last few years...

Our D needs to keep teams under 24, not 14 like the Bears have needed for the last 30 years.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 67
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Up