Page 126 of 934
« First < 2676116122123124125126 127128129130136176226626 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:09 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Intermediate you’re talking, what? 1-5 years?

Are you saying no more than 50% stocks because you think more correction is coming?
With rates going up and it looks like wage inflation with it, I think the "free ride" is over. Things are going back to normal. Meaning this is going to be a stock pickers' market again. The index fund craze will probably taper off. Savers who are in the market by force and not choice will start to sell out as rates go up on bonds and CD's.

And I said immediate term, not intermediate. I'm talking about over the next year or two.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:13 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by philfree:
I don't need it anytime soon. I have some tech stocks but this is would be a whole different portfolio. $100,000.00 divided into 10 stocks with $10,000.00 in each. I want to see what the Chiefs Planet investment gurus can come up with. Or you could do 12 stocks @ $8,000.00 ea.
Okay, here is my .02.....$100,000 divided by 10 stocks = gambling.

I would not invest in any individual stocks. Not unless you are a damn good stock picker and most people are not. This is going back to a stock pickers' market.

Therefore, I would

A) Invest in mutual funds
B) Not have all my money in stocks

If you are talking about a 7-10 year time frame I would piece in stocks up to around 60-70% depending on your age. I would spread that around in a SP500 fund, a tech fund, euro fund, asian fund and latin american fund

The rest I would just sit in cash as rates are going up and therefore bonds will be taking it on the chin over the next couple of years.
[Reply]
philfree 11:21 AM 04-13-2018
Oh, this isn't hypothetical? (you're still welcome to pay off my sprayer if you want :-))

I wouldn't do individual stocks. I asked a question about retirement fund companies back last spring and got some good information on fees in relation to different companies.

That's probably better than anything I'd come up with, but yeah, I think you want mutual funds not stocks.
I don't want any mutual funds of ETFs for that matter. I have some ETFs and it seems like they're in my portfolio just to keep me from making as much money when the market has good days. I'm talking stocks.

Pay off your sprayer? Do you have any land that I'd have the only lien on? And are there any Pheasants there? And then you'd have to agree to take care of my birddogs.
[Reply]
philfree 11:23 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Okay, here is my .02.....$100,000 divided by 10 stocks = gambling.

I would not invest in any individual stocks. Not unless you are a damn good stock picker and most people are not. This is going back to a stock pickers' market.

Therefore, I would

A) Invest in mutual funds
B) Not have all my money in stocks

If you are talking about a 7-10 year time frame I would piece in stocks up to around 60-70% depending on your age. I would spread that around in a SP500 fund, a tech fund, euro fund, asian fund and latin american fund

The rest I would just sit in cash as rates are going up and therefore bonds will be taking it on the chin over the next couple of years.

It's not.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:34 AM 04-13-2018
I'll handle your agronomy and production for a nominal fee.
The current Missouri state-wide survey by the Sec. of State- shows that Missouri residents favor passing Medical MJ 79%.

You would think our stupid politicians in this state would read their own, paid surveys and get off their asses.

It would be a huge boon for this state.

So a 100k investment could yield 10 mil over a 5 year span if you were to get in on the ground floor and wait for legislation to crawl through and eventually pass.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:21 PM 04-13-2018
With rates going up and it looks like wage inflation with it, I think the "free ride" is over. Things are going back to normal. Meaning this is going to be a stock pickers' market again. The index fund craze will probably taper off. Savers who are in the market by force and not choice will start to sell out as rates go up on bonds and CD's.

And I said immediate term, not intermediate. I'm talking about over the next year or two.
Sorry. Insane immediate and read intermediate. I’ve been working too much.

That’s a pretty good take. I haven’t paid attention, are they talking about raising interest significantly? It’s been a couple years since I looked but it was going to take a pretty significant interest increase for bonds to yield much.

I don't want any mutual funds of ETFs for that matter. I have some ETFs and it seems like they're in my portfolio just to keep me from making as much money when the market has good days. I'm talking stocks.

Pay off your sprayer? Do you have any land that I'd have the only lien on? And are there any Pheasants there? And then you'd have to agree to take care of my birddogs.
Well, you can put a lien on the sprayer. It’s worth about 250 and I owe 100 on it. But I really meant pay it off so I don’t have to. :-).

There actually are pheasants here. Last couple years have been kind to them. The cocks are all out trying to get laid so I’ve seen a bunch of them.
[Reply]
ghak99 12:26 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Buy a medical CBD oil license in Missouri and rent space in the industrial warehouse caves. Set up a hemp growing operation and sell the CDB oil wholesale to make a small profit until Medical MJ passes.

Upgrade Medical CBD license to Medical MJ- change plant varieties- become wealthy.
I'm under the impression Missouri only issues two licenses to grow hemp and you are required to be a nonprofit. Both slots are currently filled with no plans to issue more permits.

Do you know of a way around this?
[Reply]
philfree 12:28 PM 04-13-2018
Sorry. Insane immediate and read intermediate. I’ve been working too much.

That’s a pretty good take. I haven’t paid attention, are they talking about raising interest significantly? It’s been a couple years since I looked but it was going to take a pretty significant interest increase for bonds to yield much.

Well, you can put a lien on the sprayer. It’s worth about 250 and I owe 100 on it. But I really meant pay it off so I don’t have to. :-).

There actually are pheasants here. Last couple years have been kind to them. The cocks are all out trying to get laid so I’ve seen a bunch of them.
I knew that.
[Reply]
philfree 12:44 PM 04-13-2018

I have money for CDs too when the rates go up. I've actually been looking at online banks for a money market accts that pay a little more interest. if I could get 1.75 in a money market I might put some money there. I also read about buying CDs in foreign currency where you get a better rate. Not sure I'd be comfortable with that but it's a possibility.

I guess there's no "stock pickers" on CP. Oh well.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:56 PM 04-13-2018
So if you had $100,000.00 and were to put it all into the market tomorrow what does the Chiefs Planet Portfolio look like?
If you're saving it for retirement, I'm the boring one and would just put it into some index funds. Target date if you don't want to mess with it at all, some combination of U.S. stocks, international stocks, and bonds if you want a little more control.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:08 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I'm under the impression Missouri only issues two licenses to grow hemp and you are required to be a nonprofit. Both slots are currently filled with no plans to issue more permits.

Do you know of a way around this?
I was talking hypothetical- based on what would return the greatest investment. MJ is the most profitable going right now.

Yes, it was a pretty fishy deal- Nonprofit?- what a joke- they are making a ton of profits but I guess calling yourself a wellness clinic or whatever makes it like they are doing Gods work. So the State of Missouri is Not making any tax money on a growing industry? Who was the idiot who came up with this program? Probably the same one that received "campaign" donations. Our corrupt politicians in this state need to be voted out.

Such a fraud how these companies somehow had the inside track to being granted licenses. Makes you wonder how many received bribes during the approval process. They did all of this behind closed doors.

The first step would be to file a class action suit since this type of business licensing practice prohibits free trade. Hemp is used for clothing and many other products- there is nothing illegal about it. CBD is not illegal and should not have unfair licensing practices that only favor two companies holding back other businesses.
[Reply]
ghak99 02:24 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
I was talking hypothetical- based on what would return the greatest investment. MJ is the most profitable going right now.

Yes, it was a pretty fishy deal- Nonprofit?- what a joke- they are making a ton of profits but I guess calling yourself a wellness clinic or whatever makes it like they are doing Gods work. So the State of Missouri is Not making any tax money on a growing industry? Who was the idiot who came up with this program? Probably the same one that received "campaign" donations. Our corrupt politicians in this state need to be voted out.

Such a fraud how these companies somehow had the inside track to being granted licenses. Makes you wonder how many received bribes during the approval process. They did all of this behind closed doors.

The first step would be to file a class action suit since this type of business licensing practice prohibits free trade. Hemp is used for clothing and many other products- there is nothing illegal about it. CBD is not illegal and should not have unfair licensing practices that only favor two companies holding back other businesses.
I spent the better part of several days on the phone quite a while back and couldn't even sniff the breeze coming off one of the deals. No one knew anything, or at least they wouldn't tell me anything, and then it was all over. Whoever had the "in" must have had it locked up solid.

I actually had a neighbor who grew hemp on a farm next to me years ago, so I was interested in it from multiple angles. Even have access to an empty warehouse that I can't figure out what to do with.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:43 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I spent the better part of several days on the phone quite a while back and couldn't even sniff the breeze coming off one of the deals. No one knew anything, or at least they wouldn't tell me anything, and then it was all over. Whoever had the "in" must have had it locked up solid.

I actually had a neighbor who grew hemp on a farm next to me years ago, so I was interested in it from multiple angles. Even have access to an empty warehouse that I can't figure out what to do with.
This! Great post and exactly what I was trying to convey in my rant-lol I had friends wanting to start new businesses as well and ran into nothing but red tape and denial. Why all the secrecy? If the licensing process was really on the up and up- why keep the process so secret to deter anyone from applying. Wouldn't they actually want a larger pool of prospects to get the very best companies? Obviously not. Makes you wonder why?

So now that they have done it once and got away with such a sham- are they going to do it again for an even bigger payday when MJ becomes legal? Are these same two companies going to get the entire MJ contract at the expense of every other hard-working farmer in Missouri? Complete fraud.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:45 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If you're saving it for retirement, I'm the boring one and would just put it into some index funds. Target date if you don't want to mess with it at all, some combination of U.S. stocks, international stocks, and bonds if you want a little more control.
You would probably end up with a much better return since you would be so diversified.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:48 PM 04-13-2018
I have money for CDs too when the rates go up. I've actually been looking at online banks for a money market accts that pay a little more interest. if I could get 1.75 in a money market I might put some money there. I also read about buying CDs in foreign currency where you get a better rate. Not sure I'd be comfortable with that but it's a possibility.

I guess there's no "successful stock pickers" on CP. Oh well.
Fixed ! :-)
[Reply]
Page 126 of 934
« First < 2676116122123124125126 127128129130136176226626 > Last »
Up