ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 11
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Perhaps an unpopular opinion - I don't like the holidays
TLO 08:09 AM 11-23-2021
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
[Reply]
loochy 08:10 AM 11-23-2021
I don't like the disruption from the normal weekly rhythm and I don't like the explosion of junk/decorations that occurs
[Reply]
rambleonthruthefog 08:18 AM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like them.

I too am a grinch
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:19 AM 11-23-2021
I don't think it's as rare as you think, but personally, I love them. Thanksgiving is like an extra Sunday, you get to stuff your face and watch football all day. Personally, I love all the pageantry surrounding Christmas and such. But I also like winter so I'm weird.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 08:19 AM 11-23-2021
It's kinda a female dominated time. Maybe Christmas deer season, if it doesn't traumatize kids. Guns and stress? Maybe not
[Reply]
Buddy Rich 08:21 AM 11-23-2021

I like the thought of the holidays but they definitely suck in practice (for the most part)
[Reply]
tooge 08:22 AM 11-23-2021
I was a grinch til I had kids. I love Thanksgiving more though. Great food without all the Christmas fuss with gifts.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:28 AM 11-23-2021
I dont care much for Thanksgiving. We got roped into hosting it every year. It's a lot of fucking work, my house gets wrecked, and my two family halves are politically opposed so some shit always seems to pop off.

Christmas rules though. I really love the whole month of December. Especially with my kids being 6 and 4.
[Reply]
wazu 08:28 AM 11-23-2021
It's kinda sad to think that people can experience this time of year and see it as a negative. No judgement, just makes me appreciate I must have been fortunate to have had a childhood where I connect this time of year to a lot of happy memories and family. I still love the music, the decorations, the get-togethers, even the cold weather. Add to that we have winter beers and NFL football. Sign me up.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:31 AM 11-23-2021
Best time of the year.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:32 AM 11-23-2021
I'm not really a fan. We don't have any kids, and my parents, grandparents and pretty much everybody else in my family that I'd like to spend the holidays with are long dead. We always spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with my wife's family, but her mom died a few years ago so it's basically just her dad and her douchebag brother, who I can't fucking stand. It's been 15 years since I spent a holiday with a blood relative, and that was when I picked up a cousin who was in boot camp at Great Lakes and brought him down to the inlaws' house for Thanksgiving dinner.

At least I'm off the hook with the BIL this week. He's engaged and spending Thanksgiving with his fiance's family in another state. At least that's a good thing. But overall it's just kind of a bummer.
[Reply]
TLO 08:32 AM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
It's kinda sad to think that people can experience this time of year and see it as a negative. No judgement, just makes me appreciate I must have been fortunate to have had a childhood where I connect this time of year to a lot of happy memories and family. I still love the music, the decorations, the get-togethers, even the cold weather. Add to that we have winter beers and NFL football. Sign me up.
I have a lot of happy memories being a child around Thanksgiving and Christmas. That just hasn't translated into adulthood.

I think my favorite part of the season is seeing how into decorating and baking my grandma gets. It's by far her favorite time of year and that makes me happy to see.
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:34 AM 11-23-2021
The only thing I don't like about the holidays is the pressure to find gifts for Christmas. I prefer to give someone something at any point because I saw it and I thought of them. If I tried to save that for Christmas I would likely have forgotten it or not be able to find where I stashed it a few months earlier. So now there is pressure and sense of responsibility to get the right gifts. No holiday should result in increased stress!
[Reply]
threebag 08:34 AM 11-23-2021

be a good time to look through really old threads and bump them :-)

Happy Holidays
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:36 AM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Yeah, I'm one of the people who - growing up - never really had much of a family experience around the holidays so they hadn't historically meant anything to me. Until I met my wife and spent the holidays with her (HUGE) family and was shocked to see people hanging around each other for hours on end - watching the same movies and having the same conversations over and over again - and actually enjoying each others' company. My family always hated each other and was just riddled with conflict.

I'm glad I got to see this other side of the holidays, and now that I have a son I'm excited to create new memories/vibes with him. But it's been a learning process for me and it's coming along slowly.

TLO - you are not alone. Just gotta flip the script and you may feel different about them at some point.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 11
1 2345 > Last »
Up