ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 223
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:21 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by tooge:
Well thanks. I've been doing competitive bbq for almost 20 years. That doesn't make me anymore an expert than anyone else, but it has provided me the opportunity to interact with hundreds of bbq affectionados over the years, and meat slow cooked directly over coals is generally regarded as not as good as meat smoked either over the coals with a pan in between (vertical smoker like the wsm), or meat smoked indirectly in an offset cooker. I'm sure FMB's food is fantastic. I'm just not a fan of the taste of smoke generated from fat drippings. Tomatos, tomahtos
I agree - the smoke from the drippings isn't very good for BBQ. It tastes fine, it's just not right, if you know what I mean. Hence the reason I've slowly been changing my ratio, and that's doing the trick. I can't explain it - maybe vaporizing on wood is different than vaporizing on coals? I really don't know. Or maybe it's still there, but the smoke is overpowering it. Either way, as I move the ratio of wood to charcoal higher, it tastes better.

I was under the impression there was no pan in FMB's rig? I've used sand. It works well. I use water for chicken though. I thought FMB's rig had the meat hanging directly over the coals, so the drippings went onto the coals. I might have misunderstood. Dripping into the sand or water is fine IMO
No pan between the coals in the meat.
[Reply]
In58men 06:54 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Is falling off meaning when you pick it up or falling off like the meat easily separating from the bone when you bite it? Seems most people like ribs that easily separate from the bone when you bite into them, no?
When you pick it up or flick it off the bone. I ordered a half rack and Logan's Roadhouse and it was horrible. I'd picked up a rib and the others would separate.
[Reply]
Buzz 07:00 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
No pan between the coals in the meat.

I maybe missing something but why are you not using a water pan?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:06 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
You're correct, I assumed you were talking about the WSM. I definitely smoke with a pan under the meat, never did like it dripping on the coals.
I use a wood smoker. Pan of water to help with mositure. The smoker always has an apparatus to make sure the drippings stay off the wood being smoked. I never tried it but too many people on the forums warned about the acid and or sharp taste of smoke into the meat coated with grease drippings.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:08 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Buzz:
I maybe missing something but why are you not using a water pan?

Because that's not how the PBC is designed. I may mod it to do that, but it would take a lot of the hanging space away.
[Reply]
In58men 07:28 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I use a wood smoker. Pan of water to help with mositure. The smoker always has an apparatus to make sure the drippings stay off the wood being smoked. I never tried it but too many people on the forums warned about the acid and or sharp taste of smoke into the meat coated with grease drippings.
Yep, same here. Sometimes I like to leave a few chunks of wood in the water pan while smoking.
[Reply]
Buzz 07:37 PM 07-12-2016
This thread makes me sorry I sold my smoker. That being said, oh well.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:42 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Buzz:
This thread makes me sorry I sold my smoker. That being said, oh well.
A usable one without the bells and whistles is not that expensive anymore.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:25 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Really?

I always thought the best ribs were the ones where the meat just falls off the bone. I learned something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not fall off the bone, but a slight tug with the teeth should leave the bone meatless.

But what's worse than fall-off-the-bone is still-welded-to-the-bone. Nothing worse than ending up with half a pound of meat between your teeth because you had to tug on it like a lion on a wildebeest for an hour.
[Reply]
tooge 08:39 PM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Because that's not how the PBC is designed. I may mod it to do that, but it would take a lot of the hanging space away.
Besides, then you're almost have a WSM. Wink
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 06:15 AM 07-13-2016
Besides, then you're almost have a WSM. Wink
:-):-)

Damn, tooge. Knockin' the shine off FMB's new gadget like that.

The main reason I use the water pan is temperature control. 2 gallons in the water pan gives me 6 hours of virtually worry free steady 225 degrees. Then I add another 1 or 1.5 gallons which will take me to the end of an average brisket. Sometimes you get a piece of a real stubborn cow that won't go through the stall. 1 more gallon and 225 to submission.

Two mods I added when I first bought it. The stai.......

Three mods I added when I first bought it. The stainless steel door. Latch for said door. The gasket set.

I can control the temperature of this unit down to a gnat's ass with the wireless dual probe thingy. It's almost like cheating or sumthin'.

Dinny
[Reply]
tooge 08:26 AM 07-13-2016
I'm just busting his chops. I've yet to find a smoker, and I've had many over the years, that puts out food any better than the wsm. Particularly when you factor in how easy it is to us, the cost, the amount of fuel it burns, the amount of food you can put on it, etc. There are many ways to skin a cat though, and I've seen enough pics of his food that I'm guessing its fantastic tasting too.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 09:16 AM 07-13-2016
I'm just busting his chops. I've yet to find a smoker, and I've had many over the years, that puts out food any better than the wsm. Particularly when you factor in how easy it is to us, the cost, the amount of fuel it burns, the amount of food you can put on it, etc. There are many ways to skin a cat though, and I've seen enough pics of his food that I'm guessing its fantastic tasting too.
Preach on, reverend tooge.

I'll be over here harmonizing with the WSM Choir.

Dinny
[Reply]
In58men 09:46 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by Dinny Blues:
Preach on, reverend tooge.

I'll be over here harmonizing with the WSM Choir.

Dinny
They're the best in the biz, anything else is trash.
[Reply]
tooge 11:56 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
They're the best in the biz, anything else is trash.
Glad you are back man. Gotta tell you though, that every time I see your name it still looks like In58men to me. I still chuckle about that one.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 223
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Up