ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 16
« First < 3910111213 141516 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign DT Danny Shelton
Dante84 02:00 PM 08-09-2022

Chiefs and veteran free-agent defensive tackle Danny Shelton have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, per his agents @DrewJRosenhaus and @RyanMatha. Shelton was most recently with the Giants.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 9, 2022

[Reply]
Kiimo 03:56 PM 08-15-2022
of that list I'd say bye, Taylor
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:59 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Dude was getting pushed around by 3rd team scrubs. Not a good look.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:02 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I think he's easily the best of that lot.

Stallworth was a guy I shrugged off when we signed him and even into draft season. But I watched him a bit more and there's a little juice there. He can get pressure up the middle, he's stout at the point of attack. He's a solid player.

I think he can give us what Reed gave us last year. At least what Xavier Williams gave us at 3x the cost in 2018.

Stallworth isn't a bum by any stretch, IMO.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:04 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
One of these four DTs will probably be released or traded.

1. Danny Shelton - Do not know contract but it was 1 year and probably $1.120M for his NFL service time. Waiting to see contract to see if any part is guaranteed.

2. Taylor Stallworth would cost $300,000 of dead money to cut and we would save $747,500. If we could trade, it would cost us nothing.

3. Khalen Saunders would cost $228,795 of dead money and we would save $990,000. It is the same for a trade.

4. Tershawn Wharton would cost $1,668 of dead money and we would save $895,000. Same number for a trade.

Chris Jones and Derrick Nnadi will be the starting DTs.

As I think about this though, it might be a good bet that Khalen Saunders gets injured in preseason trying to make the team.
Remember that guys like Wharton and Saunder won't 'save' us anything because we'll have to pay whoever it is we replace them with on the roster. As far as your 'top 51' calculations are concerned, cutting Wharton and Saunders will just wash with whoever makes the roster in their place.

Stallworth will wash as well because of his dead money.

Cap considerations really won't come into play on any of those guys.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:07 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think he's easily the best of that lot.

Stallworth was a guy I shrugged off when we signed him and even into draft season. But I watched him a bit more and there's a little juice there. He can get pressure up the middle, he's stout at the point of attack. He's a solid player.

I think he can give us what Reed gave us last year. At least what Xavier Williams gave us at 3x the cost in 2018.

Stallworth isn't a bum by any stretch, IMO.
He sure as fuck looked like a bum on Saturday.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:09 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
He sure as fuck looked like a bum on Saturday.
I'd largely tuned out by mid-3rd so I'll take your word for it. I'm pretty sure I remember him making a nice play in the 1st half though where he knifed into the backfield and dropped the RB behind the LOS.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:11 PM 08-15-2022
I'd largely tuned out by mid-3rd so I'll take your word for it.
Well now imma have to watch it again.

But i remember watching some rushing plays, rewinding to find out wtf happened to our DT's and seeing Stallworth getting mauled out of his spot. And that was in late 3rd/4th qtr.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:33 PM 08-15-2022
Remember that guys like Wharton and Saunder won't 'save' us anything because we'll have to pay whoever it is we replace them with on the roster. As far as your 'top 51' calculations are concerned, cutting Wharton and Saunders will just wash with whoever makes the roster in their place.

Stallworth will wash as well because of his dead money.

Cap considerations really won't come into play on any of those guys.
Cutting Wharton and Saunders would be epically stupid. According to Mitch Holthus- they are playing great. Nadi is looking like a stud and Chris Jones is the best player in camp.

People are underestimating this D-line.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:48 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Cutting Wharton and Saunders would be epically stupid. According to Mitch Holthus- they are playing great. Nadi is looking like a stud and Chris Jones is the best player in camp.

People are underestimating this D-line.
The problem is the DL doesn't really have an identity. Chris Jones is an animal, yes, and I'm predicting big things for Karlaftis as early as this season, but they're still going to have problems.

You're still going to be able to run the ball on them. Frank Clark is probably going to keep fucking sucking. The big plays we do see out of them won't happen often enough to make up for their continued inconsistency at stopping the run and making life difficult for opposing OLs.

If Frank Clark was an actual stud, and Nnadi were just a little tougher to push around, then yes, absolutely, we'd be talking.

I'm not predicting them to be as bad as last year. I think they'll be improved. But they're going to have to prove to me that they're actually any good. Until then, it's probably going to be much of the same that we've seen these past several years.

Maybe they'll have a 4-5 game stretch like last year where they look pretty good.
[Reply]
neech 10:15 PM 08-15-2022
If they primarily put him in on only third and short run situations, I'm good with that. Shelton this is your job to stuff the run as best you can and give it your all.

The Chiefs organization knows you're getting up there in age and respect that.
And we're not going to play you every defensive series but when we do you kick ass and take names. Questions?
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:32 PM 08-15-2022
This guy might be the keystone of the defense for the next couple three years. He's a monster. He's not even a known pass rushing threat, but every OC double-teams him. And he beats them. Continuously.

Then one has to consider just how much Spags likes to move DLs around, when that's obviously this guy's specialty. He's going to fit into this defense in a very short time.

Oh, and our LBs are going to become household names if Shelton is healthy for the season. Those guys are going to have a field day when Shelton is on the field.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:42 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
This guy might be the keystone of the defense for the next couple three years. He's a monster. He's not even a known pass rushing threat, but every OC double-teams him. And he beats them. Continuously.

Then one has to consider just how much Spags likes to move DLs around, when that's obviously this guy's specialty. He's going to fit into this defense in a very short time.

Oh, and our LBs are going to become household names if Shelton is healthy for the season. Those guys are going to have a field day when Shelton is on the field.
We’re talking about the same Danny Shelton who has been forgettable at best the last two seasons, right? The dude that was still unsigned headed into camp and couldn’t start for the Giants?

THAT Danny Shelton is going to be the ‘keystone’ of a championship caliber defense and difference maker for the entire system?

Um…aight.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:56 PM 08-15-2022
We’re talking about the same Danny Shelton who has been forgettable at best the last two seasons, right? The dude that was still unsigned headed into camp and couldn’t start for the Giants?

THAT Danny Shelton is going to be the ‘keystone’ of a championship caliber defense and difference maker for the entire system?

Um…aight.
I did say "might."

He has something to prove, obviously considering he really didn't play for the last two seasons.

But when he plays well, he's the run-stuffing DT we've always wanted to have next to Chris Jones.

Watch that first video and watch where he's looking, and then where he puts himself, and then how he gets to the ballcarrier. He may not be a physical specimen or a great athlete, but he's definitely a very savvy football player.

If he stays healthy and still really wants to play football, he's definitely going to makes some big plays for the team this season.
[Reply]
srvy 12:22 AM 08-16-2022
This guy must have been working the ice cream machine at DQ when they signed him.

[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 03:05 AM 08-16-2022

Um…aight.
Mike Pennel was signed and CUT by the Pats, comes to KC on a cheap deal and was a vital piece in helping us win the superbowl. This guy is the closest thing we've had to Pennel but has more passrush potential and has actually been on a championship winning team aswell. I think this added ingredient to the DL room could really enhance the line even further tbh.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 16
« First < 3910111213 141516 >
Up