View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 114 of 343
« First < 1464104110111112113114 115116117118124164214 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:30 PM 07-15-2022
Eh I'm over it. Show up to camp play games prove your worth to the Kingdom or look for another team next season. This is probably better than giving him all that money now he has to go earn it. I think more likely he will show up and be at his best, that's not saying best LT but play at his potential motivated and that could make him better for a long contract next year. He still needs to see his value or worth before he will ever get anything but disappointment that other teams aren't reaching deep in their pockets for his service next year.

Good job Bank Vault best GM in the business.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 01:30 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
last I heard, OBJ wasnt gonna play on the tag. Did he change his mind?
Apparently yes.

Here's a quick update on Orlando Brown Jr. (with more to come later) https://t.co/3hRRNkpgcZ

— Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) July 15, 2022

[Reply]
Bowser 01:35 PM 07-15-2022
If he wants bigger and better g-money, he needs to get to camp day 1 and show it. At this point that's all I really care about; pay him if he's earned or it or tag and trade him next season, we'll deal with it then.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:35 PM 07-15-2022
Again I ask if playing on the tag was the end result why what did the agent accomplish
[Reply]
BossChief 01:40 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
It’s not being greedy. It’s being reasonable to ask for your market value. This is a sport that your career can end on any play and the team will cut you in that scenario as soon as they can to not pay you. Just look at EriccFisger and Mitchell Schwartz for easy examples of that.

Last year a 33year old left tackle got 6 years for 138m. 23m aav. That was when the salary cap was 182.5m. That salary cap has gone up to 208…an increase of 14% to the cap, so a fair “top of the market” value for the current cap would be approximately 26m aav for a LT.

Orlando is 26 and is in the best shape of his pro career (based on recent pictures) so if his agent is trying to make his mark, I can see him demanding that $. Orlando is on the non exclusive tag, so he’s free to negotiate with any NFL team right now and I’m sure a few have told him they would give him that much if it didn’t require a premium trade.

I’m sure Veach wants to try and stay under 20m aav, but that’s unrealistic.

Hopefully, they can ink him to a deal that falls dead center of those 2 numbers for a new 6 year contract. A hair above the Trent Williams deal is what is likely considered “fair value” with all of that considered.

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I didn’t think that Garafalo tweet was accurate.
[Reply]
Danguardace 01:45 PM 07-15-2022
Don't get playing on tag for OBJ, look what happened to Fisher and Schwartz you could be done in an instant. I know those guys were old but still.

I don't blame Veach, giving him big guaranteed just too risky. Got the tag for this season and maybe next to get a replacement.
[Reply]
Dante84 01:46 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I didn’t think that Garafalo tweet was accurate.
Yeah it was pretty clear that Garofolo's source is OBJ's agent, and Schefter's is Veach or someone on the Chiefs staff.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:49 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Again I ask if playing on the tag was the end result why what did the agent accomplish
If Brown massively over values his hand, and wants to bet on himself, there may not be much the agent could do.

And/or the agent could have done a bad job.

Brown won't be the first player to play on the tag.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:50 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Thanks for pointing that out. I am not aware of the figures for other top LT contracts if you throw out that final year.
Everyone with an AAV over $18 million

Williams ($23 million AAV; Effective guarantees are 3/$55)
Bakhtiari ($23 million AAV; Effective guarantees 3/68)
Tunsil ($22 million AAV; EG 3/$57 million)
Stanley (19.75 AAV; 4/76 EG)
Ramczyk (19.2 AAV; 3/53 EG)
O'Neill (18.5 AAV; 2/26.4)
Mathews (18.33 AAV; 2/$37)
Johnson (18 AAV; No earthly idea; this contract is a shit show full of voidable years, restructure bonuses, option bonuses that triggered 2 years ago - fuck if I know what this thing actually says...)

But the average 'effective guarantees' on those deals are roughly 3 years, $56 million. Had they guaranteed that 3rd year (maybe they did?), the effective guarantees for Browns deal would've been 3/$58 and that's extremely fair given that Brown isn't on the same level as most of those guys.

Maybe it all came down to the 3rd year? Or maybe he wanted the 4th year of EGs that Stanley got? And ultimately I can't blame the Chiefs for not wanting to do that.

Let's not fool ourselves here fellas - if PM wanted it done, it would have gotten done. That's his blind-side protector. If Patrick had said to Andy "Hey, I want that guy blocking for me for the next half-decade and I trust him to keep me clean..." then the Chiefs wouldn't have had a problem giving more protections on that 4th year.

PM's silence here means plenty. The fact that it was guarantees that killed it tells me that Mahomes simply isn't 100% sold on OBJ as his blind side.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:52 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Apparently yes.

Then the Chiefs won the trade.

2 years at about $20 million total for solid LT play and at worst you let him walk for a 3rd round comp pick. You gave up the effective value of a mid-2nd for that.

You do that every single time. It's not a grand slam or anything, but that's a solid double into the gap.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:53 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Shaid:
We got him for the value of a 2nd round pick and right now we're going to get 2 years out of him if he walks after this season. If he does walk, we'll get a 3rd round comp. So we effectively rented a Top 10 LT for 2 years by trading a 2 for a 3. I'm ok with that.
Aaaaaaaaand got two future All Pros as well.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:58 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Then the Chiefs won the trade.

2 years at about $20 million total for solid LT play and at worst you let him walk for a 3rd round comp pick. You gave up the effective value of a mid-2nd for that.

You do that every single time. It's not a grand slam or anything, but that's a solid double into the gap.
This. This is absolutely the way I'm looking at this situation going forward.

Now let's hope he doesn't let this n00b agent talk him into skipping training camp (provided that wasn't his plan from the beginning).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:07 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
This. This is absolutely the way I'm looking at this situation going forward.

Now let's hope he doesn't let this n00b agent talk him into skipping training camp (provided that wasn't his plan from the beginning).
If he signs the tender, he's not skipping camp. And if he's willing to play on the tag it's a clear 'bet on himself' situation so he'd be a complete moron to skip camp.

I bet he signs and is there on day 1. And honestly, we had the cap space to handle his contract this year. The $ on it is relatively low anyway. If he proves he's worth that kind of money and guarantees next year, the deal still only starts when he's 27 and that's nothing for an OT.

There's nothing hurt here. It's not like he's gonna get 30 in AAV if he performs like a 1st team All Pro next season. Only generational guys ever blow a scale apart like that and he's just not that kind of talent.

The Chiefs don't appear to have lost out on a potential discount rate over the life of a LTC here so they never had much incentive to go beyond where they wanted to be.

They good.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:15 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
if they make a stipulation he stays under 315 lbs,

they lock him in for 6 years, 138,000,000 million, 69,000,000 guaranteed.

for reference:

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle
I was close
[Reply]
Red Dawg 02:24 PM 07-15-2022
So he said no to 65 mil guaranteed? Must be nice to be a ble to do that and think eh, I can do better.

Personally I don't think he can unless he plays lights out. That means stone walling guys like Bosa.
[Reply]
Page 114 of 343
« First < 1464104110111112113114 115116117118124164214 > Last »
Up