ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 16
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL likely banning hip-drop tackle
oaklandhater 03:13 PM 03-20-2024

The NFL competition committee has proposed a new rule that would penalize a player with a 15-yard penalty and grant the opposition an automatic first down for using the hip-drop tackle to bring a runner to the ground.

This is the definition of a hip-drop tackle:
(a) grabs the… pic.twitter.com/yL7peCR8gS

— Ari Meirov (@MySportsUpdate) March 20, 2024

YAC gods will go crazy
[Reply]
Pinchshot 06:11 PM 03-20-2024
YES! Almost called us a superbowl.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:14 PM 03-20-2024
Last year....Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Mark Andrews, Tyreek Hill and Deshaun Watson
Last year... Mahomes and Tony pollard

NFL claims it is 20-25 times more likely to cause injury. A few of these guys have fractured their legs

Easy decision
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:20 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Last year....Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Mark Andrews, Tyreek Hill and Deshaun Watson
Last year... Mahomes and Tony pollard

NFL claims it is 20-25 times more likely to cause injury. A few of these guys have fractured their legs

Easy decision
Yep, I’m cool with banning it.

Like the horse collar, dudes know when they’re doing it and they know it’s dangerous. Every year, thousands of completely legal tackles are made. The league will still thrive without this method.
[Reply]
jdubya 06:48 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by PHOG:
Wait, what does Gene Steratore think?

getting his index card now
[Reply]
ROYC75 07:05 PM 03-20-2024
I can see it now, Derek.Henry breaks out and open field , a D B jumps on his back & ride him all the way to the goal line for a TD, just because he can't drop down tackle him.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 07:33 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I can see it now, Derek.Henry breaks out and open field , a D B jumps on his back & ride him all the way to the goal line for a TD, just because he can't drop down tackle him.
It doesn't say he can't do that.
[Reply]
scho63 07:40 PM 03-20-2024
I have no idea how a DB weighing 210 brings down a 275 lb TE running full speed.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:46 PM 03-20-2024
I don’t really get the outrage over this.

The defender won’t be allowed to drop his entire body weight on the back of someone’s legs. It’s basically the same motion as a horse collar tackle and no one has any problem with that being illegal.

Defenders can be taught to avoid this pretty easily. You can still tackle from behind, you can still go for the legs, you simply can’t drop your whole body weight on the legs which is obviously a very dangerous movement.

What’s the problem?
[Reply]
kysirsoze 08:00 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

The defender won’t be allowed to drop his entire body weight on the back of someone’s legs. It’s basically the same motion as a horse collar tackle and no one has any problem with that being illegal.

Defenders can be taught to avoid this pretty easily. You can still tackle from behind, you can still go for the legs, you simply can’t drop your whole body weight on the legs which is obviously a very dangerous movement.

What’s the problem?
Yeah it's a good change. I'm just dreading the really bad calls that that will likely occur this next season or two.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:01 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

What’s the problem?
Not sure how this relates to a horse collar tackle.

How the fuck do you tackle a runner from behind with this rule?
[Reply]
kysirsoze 08:03 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Not sure how this relates to a horse collar tackle.

How the fuck do you tackle a runner from behind with this rule?
You don't swivel your legs and drop your body on their legs. It's right there in the rule.
[Reply]
SD15 08:04 PM 03-20-2024
Another rule that requires a judgment call. :-)
[Reply]
jd1020 08:07 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
You don't swivel your legs and drop your body on their legs. It's right there in the rule.
Good. You defined the rule. Not explain how you go about avoiding trapping the runners legs under you while tackling them from behind.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 08:13 PM 03-20-2024
Good. You defined the rule. Not explain how you go about avoiding trapping the runners legs under you while tackling them from behind.
It doesn't say you can't land on the ball carrier's legs. You can't swivel your body and drop your weight on them. Non hip drop tackles from begind happen constantly in every game.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:13 PM 03-20-2024
You tackle the legs
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 03-20-2024, 08:16 PM
This message has been deleted by comochiefsfan.
Page 4 of 16
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up