Nzoner's Game Room>***All Things Weather 2024***
Bowser 08:56 PM 01-06-2024

[Reply]
TLO 02:18 PM 01-15-2024
This weather is bullshit
[Reply]
JPH83 02:24 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That's about what it was when I posted that. It's a balmy -11 right now.

The main thing that keeps me going on days like this is reminding myself that I hate extreme high temperatures even more. As vile as this shit is, I'll take it over 100 and high humidity every time. You can protect yourself against the cold. All you can do when it's hot like that is suffer.
This is absolutely correct. I'll take cold weather over extreme heat any day.
[Reply]
Hog Rider 02:25 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Minnesota utilities tell residents: Turn down your thermostats amid deep freeze
The state is trudging through subzero temperatures.

Utilities in Minnesota are calling on residents to turn down their thermostats due to a rise in demand for natural gas as extreme cold makes its way across the United States.

Xcel and Centerpoint Energy have each recommended reducing heat through at least Tuesday, noting that spot prices for natural gas are spiking due to supply and demand during the cold weather, and excessive usage could land customers with much higher costs.

Centerpoint recommends lowering thermostats to 65 degrees during the day when home and lowering it an additional five degrees when asleep or away. Xcel asks thermostats to be set from 65 to 70 degrees while home and 58 degrees when away.

The reduction could help limit the impact of higher prices on customers' bills, with turning down the heat in your home by 1 degree resulting in around 3% savings on your gas costs.

Xcel says for its customers, the increase in natural gas prices is "significant smaller" than the massive spike experienced during Winter Storm Uri in 2021.

Do I set my furnace lower and run my gas fireplace more or vice versa?

Or you could just go sleep in your nice warm electric car.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:37 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by Hog Rider:
Or you could just go sleep in your nice warm electric car.
I will bet the gov has his thermostat set to 72 or more
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 02:55 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Minnesota utilities tell residents: Turn down your thermostats amid deep freeze
The state is trudging through subzero temperatures.

Utilities in Minnesota are calling on residents to turn down their thermostats due to a rise in demand for natural gas as extreme cold makes its way across the United States.

Xcel and Centerpoint Energy have each recommended reducing heat through at least Tuesday, noting that spot prices for natural gas are spiking due to supply and demand during the cold weather, and excessive usage could land customers with much higher costs.

Centerpoint recommends lowering thermostats to 65 degrees during the day when home and lowering it an additional five degrees when asleep or away. Xcel asks thermostats to be set from 65 to 70 degrees while home and 58 degrees when away.

The reduction could help limit the impact of higher prices on customers' bills, with turning down the heat in your home by 1 degree resulting in around 3% savings on your gas costs.

Xcel says for its customers, the increase in natural gas prices is "significant smaller" than the massive spike experienced during Winter Storm Uri in 2021.

Do I set my furnace lower and run my gas fireplace more or vice versa?
Good luck sleeping when the thermostat is at 60. Unless you're a White Walker or a pregnant woman, it will be miserable.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:40 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by Gary Cooper:
Good luck sleeping when the thermostat is at 60. Unless you're a White Walker or a pregnant woman, it will be miserable.
I wouldn't exactly like it, but as long as I've got enough blankets I'd be fine.

Hell, I'd be perfectly happy living in a place where the temperature never got above 60.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:42 PM 01-15-2024
Its 4 balmy degrees before factoring in windchill here, just lovely

Bought a brand new battery for my truck just one month ago, it BARELY started this morning :-)
[Reply]
Bowser 03:46 PM 01-15-2024
My garage isn't heated. It's polar bear comfy in there at 11 degrees, according to the car.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:49 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by Bowser:
My garage isn't heated. It's polar bear comfy in there at 11 degrees, according to the car.
Same here. Mine was 0 this morning. It was -11 outside.

Still, having any sort of garage is wonderful. I have zero fond memories of parking my car outside in this shit.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:55 PM 01-15-2024
Same here. Mine was 0 this morning. It was -11 outside.

Still, having any sort of garage is wonderful. I have zero fond memories of parking my car outside in this shit.
Yeah, piss on scraping windows in this weather.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:59 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yeah, piss on scraping windows in this weather.
Before I lived here I was in Chicago, digging out spots in the street and then marking them as my own with random bits of crap. That really sucked, but people mostly respected it.
[Reply]
Holladay 04:01 PM 01-15-2024
Speaking of unheated garages, mine is attached but on the north side. It sucks because I would store liquids and they would freeze thus make them unuseable. I would have to move them inside over the winter.

We got a new garage door due to hail and got an insulated one. That made a big difference. I don't know if you could do a DYI slapping up foam boards (glue) in the door panels??

This last fall, I added more insulation in the crawl space above the garage (r13) to overlay the existing insulation.

It just got below freezing this last weekend. I am in NE KS.

Thinking these might be a simple band aide.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:01 PM 01-15-2024
Before I lived here I was in Chicago, digging out spots in the street and then marking them as my own with random bits of crap. That really sucked, but people mostly respected it.
That sounds like COLD HELL

And counting on the goodwill of your fellow Chicagoans? Can't believe it mostly went well for ya
[Reply]
Frazod 04:08 PM 01-15-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers:
That sounds like COLD HELL

And counting on the goodwill of your fellow Chicagoans? Can't believe it mostly went well for ya
It was kind of an unwritten code that almost everybody honored. Also, people who parked in someone else's cleared spot tended to have rather unpleasant things happen to their vehicles that night.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:00 AM 01-16-2024
-9°F
[Reply]
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up