ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 459 of 469
« First < 359409449455456457458459 460461462463 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
dlphg9 12:37 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I am hearing more and more of an argument that we are embracing the tank.
I'm fine with it and we need a pitcher. The only thing that I don't get is giving him multiple years. Wonder what he's gonna get paid?
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:39 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I just think if he and the org wanted him to be in the OF be would be there by now. I'd like to see him in CF myself. Bobby Witt at 3rd.
Anyone that wants to give up on Witt at SS is either ignorant, trolling, or just really fucking stupid. I'd guess youre probably all of the above.
[Reply]
tk13 12:41 AM 12-20-2022
You do need a guy or two in the rotation who will give you innings. Ideally you'd hope Keller could be that guy but if he pitches like he did at the end of last year that isn't going to work. They definitely need a veteran arm. The worry is we expected Greinke to be that guy and I'm afraid this means we're giving up on him.

The weird thing about Lyles is he's had some rough patches but he had two different stints with Milwaukee and both times he was really good. Far better than he was anywhere else. That Milwaukee pitching program is really good. Maybe that's just a fluke though.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 01:07 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
The weird thing about Lyles is he's had some rough patches but he had two different stints with Milwaukee and both times he was really good. Far better than he was anywhere else. That Milwaukee pitching program is really good. Maybe that's just a fluke though.
Milwaukee had Lyles go heavy slider in those stints, which helped his whiff rate. It looked like he was turning the corner in 2019 but he never took that leap forward in the ensuing years.

He was a highly-regarded Astros prospect in the pre-Luhnow days. That's how long he's been around. It's amazing he's only 32 though.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 07:57 AM 12-20-2022
Not really. The key to this season has always rested on the guys already in house. If the young hitters take a leap forward and singer pitches like he did at the middle-end of the year then we will be in position to probably make a move or two at the deadline to go for it. If none of them take a step forward and singer slides back to more of a 3/4 starter then it doesn't matter if we signed Judge in the off season, we won't be very good.
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:04 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Anyone that wants to give up on Witt at SS is either ignorant, trolling, or just really ****ing stupid. I'd guess youre probably all of the above.
I don't think anybody is saying to give up on Witt! The reason for playing him at SS is sound, if he is ready to be a good defensive SS in the majors! From what I saw last year, he wasn't when we had a better defensive SS in Lopez.

IMHO, for us to see if we are going to compete for a WC this year, we need to start off solid defense up the middle plus solid hitters in the lineup. With that said, it's tough to get 9 solid hitters and top notch defense on the field. usually you have a weaker hitter or 2 in your lineup.

Until we see that this team will / will not compete for a playoff position, IMHO, we start Lopez at SS, Witt on 3B and Mondi at 2B. I'm not sold yet on Massey, but what we saw last year is promising, but so was Lopez in 2021. I feel we need to use these players up the middle with Tucker in CF, yet still being able to produce enough offense to be competitive.

Now with all of that said, we have to wait to see how they produce on the field first to start the season. I'm not ever inclined to just play guys for the sake of playing them because they are great guys or we need to develop them. Developing players is for the Minor Leagues, yes I understand they to play in the Majors too, but not to start the season when their is a better option on the team. It's not like we we are demoting him to AAA or taking his bat out of the lineup!

This year with the players returning to old style baseball, playing on the ( so called ) dirt, we need defense, speedy defenders to enhance to team play, Not sentimental picks
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:34 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
Not really. The key to this season has always rested on the guys already in house. If the young hitters take a leap forward and singer pitches like he did at the middle-end of the year then we will be in position to probably make a move or two at the deadline to go for it. If none of them take a step forward and singer slides back to more of a 3/4 starter then it doesn't matter if we signed Judge in the off season, we won't be very good.
Yeah, tank is the wrong word, but it's more of a "let's see what we have before we spend anything."

Agreed with those above, I really wanted Greinke to get 3,000 with KC. But sentimental moments like that were a GMDM special and likely the cost of parting ways with him.

I'll be a bit annoyed if we brought back RYAN O HEARN instead of Greinke, though.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:45 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I don't think anybody is saying to give up on Witt! The reason for playing him at SS is sound, if he is ready to be a good defensive SS in the majors! From what I saw last year, he wasn't when we had a better defensive SS in Lopez.

IMHO, to see if we are going to compete for a WC this year, we need to start off solid defense up the middle plus solid hitters in the lineup. With that said, it's tough to get 9 solid hitters and top notch defense on the field. usually you have a weaker hitter or 2 in your lineup.

Until we see that this team will not compete for a playoff position, IMHO, we start Lopez at SS, Witt on 3B and Mondi at 2B. I'm not sold yet on Massey, what we saw last year is promising, but so was Lopez in 2021. I feel we can use these players up the middle with Tucker in CF, still being able to produce enough offense to be competitive.

Now with all of that said, we have to wait to see how they produce on the field to start the season. I'm not ever inclined to just play guys for the sake of playing them because they are great guys or we need to develop them. Developing players is for the Minor Leagues, yes I understand they to play in the Majors too, but not to start the season when their is a better option on the team. It's not like we we are demoting him to AAA or taking his bat out of the lineup!

This year with the players returning to old style baseball, playing on the ( so called ) dirt, we need defense, speedy defenders to enhance to team play, Not sentimental picks
Michael Massey was recognized as the best defensive 2B in the minor leagues (not the Royals' system, all of them) in 2021. He's plenty good in the new defensive landscape.

Lopez has given the Royals more than 1500 PAs, and the numbers say he is a .630 OPS guy. He's a nice utility player to have, but not someone to run out as an everyday player at this point.

Mondesi at 3B, Witt at SS, Massey at 2B is a good alignment to start the year with. At least until Mondesi gets hurt.

Give Witt a full year at SS and do a true evaluation of his glove there. If he struggles again, move him to 3B and move on.

Michael A. Taylor also needs to go. Like, immediately.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:09 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Anyone that wants to give up on Witt at SS is either ignorant, trolling, or just really ****ing stupid. I'd guess youre probably all of the above.
I don't really understand why. Do you expect a guy like Witt to get better when he has to be on the dirt vs sometimes on the grass (new rules). Playing him at 3B takes the pressure off of him and that is where we need to find out if he can play or if he needs to be in the OF. We already know he can't play SS. Click the link and to the bottom. Dead last in SS defense...by alot.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...12-31&sort=8,d
[Reply]
ROYC75 10:50 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Michael Massey was recognized as the best defensive 2B in the minor leagues (not the Royals' system, all of them) in 2021. He's plenty good in the new defensive landscape.

Lopez has given the Royals more than 1500 PAs, and the numbers say he is a .630 OPS guy. He's a nice utility player to have, but not someone to run out as an everyday player at this point.

Mondesi at 3B, Witt at SS, Massey at 2B is a good alignment to start the year with. At least until Mondesi gets hurt.

Give Witt a full year at SS and do a true evaluation of his glove there. If he struggles again, move him to 3B and move on.

Michael A. Taylor also needs to go. Like, immediately.
I can relate to a lot of this. The real kicker here is Mondi! We just don't know, the kid has MVP potential and just can not stay healthy. We seen some GREAT defensive plays at SS when he was healthy.

Say we start this ( your view ) way, Mondi goes down and we are off to a GREAT start? Now what? Lopez at 3B? Dozier at 3B, for the remainder of the season. We do not have a solid pipeline of 3B's men in the minors or on the major roster for long term. In a perfect world
I got nothing against Massey. I just want to see more of him to say, he is a MLB starter. As for Lopez, I understand your concerns, but I also say this, what's to keep him from becoming a better hitter with hard work and coaching. The same with any player at the Major level, hard work, dedication and coaching. The kids have talent or they would not be at the major level to start with. I know this for a fact, Nicky Lopez was arguably robbed of a GG in 21! The kid can play defense!

As for Taylor? He is a solid defensive player that at times comes through with some clutch hits. Sure we would love to have them on a more consistent level and FTR, as long as MT has been in MLB, he should be. But I just don't see him being more than a back up, at best now. I'm not opposed to moving away from him as long as his replacement is very good at defense.
[Reply]
nychief 10:54 AM 12-20-2022
Royals signed Jordan Lyles to A TWO YEAR contract for 17 million.

This team is poorly run, stupid and cheap.... Lyles is dog shit.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:59 AM 12-20-2022

Royals rotation by Stuff+ (100=league average, starters usually a little lower, sums up only the physical properties of their pitches)

Brady Singer 90.2
Kris Bubic 83.6
Daniel Lynch 84.9
Ryan Yarbrough 99.5
Jon Heasley 98.1
Jordan Lyles 90.1

— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) December 20, 2022

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:13 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by nychief:
Royals signed Jordan Lyles to A TWO YEAR contract for 17 million.

This team is poorly run, stupid and cheap.... Lyles is dog shit.
He’s projected for 0.8 fWAR which is about $8M in this market so seems fair

Also he EATS innings LOL
[Reply]
nychief 11:16 AM 12-20-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
He’s projected for 0.8 fWAR which is about $8M in this market so seems fair

Also he EATS innings LOL

Great. That really gets my dick hard. Inning eaters.

"Come on kid, let's head to the ballpark and watch Jordan Lyles give up 4 runs in 6 innings."

I'm half joking.

I think this means ProZack is gone too.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 11:24 AM 12-20-2022
I think Lyles is a fine signing for the Royals. You need innings eaters like him. Furthermore, he had a bit of a resurgence last year in Baltimore. So much so that he got scooped up pretty heavily in AL-Only fantasy leagues.

At one time he was my favorite underdog to bet on. 2014, when he went from the Astros to the Rockies. I'd bet unders and on Colorado when he pitched. The payouts were always very juicy, you see, cause it's a struggling pitcher that sucked in Houston now going to the launching pad of Coors Field. But I'd seen him pitch plenty in Houston and I thought he looked pretty good then, better than his inflated numbers would have you believe, and at that time he was still quite young with plenty of upside. That year he finished with a ERA+ of 98, so very profitable indeed, cause he was always priced like he was a gas can. In the three preceding seasons with the Astros, his ERA+ was 71,79 and 72. Not many pitchers get better when they go to the Rockies, but Lyles sure did, and he made my bankroll better in the process. CANUDIGIT?

Now that Mr. Lyles gets to enjoy the pitching friendly confines of the K, I could see him eclipsing that 100 ERA+ mark for the second time in his career. He last did that in 2019 (106) and put up a 91 last year, pitching in another bandbox (Baltimore).
[Reply]
Page 459 of 469
« First < 359409449455456457458459 460461462463 > Last »
Up