Page 20 of 21
« First < 101617181920 21 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Vikings told Dalvin Cook they are releasing him
Mecca 12:12 PM 05-18-2023
Interested?
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:21 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by TEX:
I learned to not get excited over an unsung running back, that's supposed to do special things, way back in the Jesse Haynes days.
Yeah but it's different when that unsung running back is just an ancillary piece rather than the focal point of the offense.
[Reply]
Kiimo 05:35 PM 07-18-2023
I learned to not get excited over an unsung running back, that's supposed to do special things, way back in the Jesse Haynes days.
did you unlearn this learning last year
[Reply]
Bowser 05:41 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by Kiimo:
Hey everyone in this thread check the Pacheco thread
You know, Andy does love him some "name" reclamation RB projects.....
[Reply]
TEX 05:48 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by Kiimo:
did you unlearn this learning last year
No. I was very cautious with Pacheco. Hell, I even was in the draft day thread calling for the Chiefs to draft the kid in the late rounds. But I get your point. Can the same thing happen two years in a row?
[Reply]
TEX 05:50 PM 07-18-2023
:-)
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Yeah but it's different when that unsung running back is just an ancillary piece rather than the focal point of the offense.
True. And this regime is light years ahead of Marty's. Still very cautiously optimistic.

For the record, Manvel High school is right outside of Houston. I refereed High School football in the Houston Area a few years ago, and I've seen this kid play, and he was very good.
[Reply]
kevrunner 05:58 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by Sassy Snatch:
I'm pretty sure RB is the only position where the franchise tag number has actually gone down in recent years.
Here’s a look at the franchise tag since 2013. Looks like 2017 was the high franchise tag for RBs, just over $12 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/franchise-tag/
[Reply]
tredadda 05:59 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Look, the current game is like this - if you need to ride a running back bell-cow style because your QB sucks then, ok. But you know it's a time bomb. He ain't gonna last long. Smart teams split carries to lessen the load and extend their careers. Dumb teams run their guy into the ground. Either way, it's not a wise use of big cap dollars. They're either part time players, or unlikely to last through a second contract. A guy like Henry is a rare exception.

Now, are they underpaid? I don't really think so. It's either a huge risk, or you're paying for a part time player. Are other positions overpaid? Absolutely. WR's are way overpaid, as teams seem to think they can carry second rate QB's to the SB. I don't think that's been proven. Your QB is either one of the five or so elite guys or he isn't. Are corners overpaid? Under the current rules, absolutely. There's no such thing as a shutdown corner in this NFL. I wouldn't pay a boundary corner a second contract either. I might for a chess piece type of player, like Sneed.
Concur on this. I will say that despite it being a passing league teams still need to be able to run the ball. Without it you get perma 3 man fronts while getting yards on the ground from QB scrambles and/or designed runs. What hurts star RBs is that you can get yards with lesser (and cheaper) RBs.

As you mentioned the days of the bell cow RB are over and as such salaries reflect as much. Look at KCs two SBs. Their “star” RBs were journeyman Damien Williams, journeyman Jerrick McKinnon, and 7th rounder Pacheco. Ironically their 1st round RB didn’t even sniff the field in SB 57. Teams realize that pouring less resources into the RB position frees up more for other positions.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:06 PM 07-18-2023
Huge difference between Matt Nagy (basically Andy Reid) and Jimmy Raye though.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:10 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Concur on this. I will say that despite it being a passing league teams still need to be able to run the ball. Without it it get perma 3 man fronts while getting yards on the ground from QB scrambles and/or designed runs. What hurts star RBs is that you can get yards with lesser (and cheaper) RBs.

As you mentioned the days of the bell cow RB are over and as such salaries reflect as much. Look at KCs two SBs. Their “star” RBs were journeyman Damien Williams, journeyman Jerrick McKinnon, and 7th rounder Pacheco. Ironically their 1st round RB didn’t even sniff the field in SB 57. Teams realize that pouring less resources into the RB position frees up more for other positions.
Hell, half the board was making fun of me for advocating for more running the ball. I agree, you need to run some, but you're only going to go as far as your QB can take you. You have to run enough to keep the defense honest. Make them honor their run fits, play the complete game. Otherwise, you're just letting the rush tee off on Mahomes, and I'd like to see him play a Super Bowl on two legs again. it's been awhile.
[Reply]
TEX 06:11 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Huge difference between Matt Nagy (basically Andy Reid) and Jimmy Raye though.
You got THAT right!
Jimmy "3 - Play - Raye." :-)
[Reply]
tredadda 06:21 PM 07-18-2023
Hell, half the board was making fun of me for advocating for more running the ball. I agree, you need to run some, but you're only going to go as far as your QB can take you. You have to run enough to keep the defense honest. Make them honor their run fits, play the complete game. Otherwise, you're just letting the rush tee off on Mahomes, and I'd like to see him play a Super Bowl on two legs again. it's been awhile.
All true. It’s why KC played in and won SB 54 instead of Tenn or SF. Williams played very well and forced Tenn and SF to account for him which allowed Mahomes to do what he does. It’s also why Baltimore wins a lot of games but is not a serious SB threat (unless Lamar proves himself as a passer).
[Reply]
Jamie 07:52 PM 07-18-2023
I wonder with the devaluation of RBs if we're going to start seeing high level athletes (as in, guys who are good enough to have a choice) refusing to play RB.

In the lead-up to the draft, when there was talk of Jahmyr Gibbs falling out of the first round, I started to think that maybe he'd be better off insisting on a move to WR. Because if mid-tier receivers are going have longer, better paid careers than upper-tier RBs, then what's the incentive to be a RB? If I was an elite young athlete I sure as hell wouldn't play RB if I could help it. Put me at WR or CB, or hell, even S or LB. Just don't stick me in the RB meat grinder.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:03 PM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I wonder with the devaluation of RBs if we're going to start seeing high level athletes (as in, guys who are good enough to have a choice) refusing to play RB.

In the lead-up to the draft, when there was talk of Jahmyr Gibbs falling out of the first round, I started to think that maybe he'd be better off insisting on a move to WR. Because if mid-tier receivers are going have longer, better paid careers than upper-tier RBs, then what's the incentive to be a RB? If I was an elite young athlete I sure as hell wouldn't play RB if I could help it. Put me at WR or CB, or hell, even S or LB. Just don't stick me in the RB meat grinder.

Well, but just even GETTING to the NFL is such a pipe dream for most kids, it probably won't matter. But I think the days of RB's that are one dimensional are all but done. If you're not a well rounded back, you've got little chance.

Again, Henry is the throwback, and an exception to all rules, but nobody else has been able to get away with it for long.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:10 PM 07-18-2023
A RB in Baltimore got paid this offseason…

[Reply]
Valiant 09:30 PM 07-18-2023
Well, but just even GETTING to the NFL is such a pipe dream for most kids, it probably won't matter. But I think the days of RB's that are one dimensional are all but done. If you're not a well rounded back, you've got little chance.

Again, Henry is the throwback, and an exception to all rules, but nobody else has been able to get away with it for long.
I see the league or union giving rbs a shorter rookie contract. Max 3 years. Problem is I don't think it solves anything. Teams are too follow the leader. Having a team of great wr doesn't help bad qbs.

Certain teams should go against the grain. Imagine if the browns would have gone split back most of the time and spread wr with hunt and chubb.

Teams just want to copy.

Only works with a franchise qb.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 21
« First < 101617181920 21 >
Up